Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Susan2anne

Kitchen renovation

I make my living in a two-story detached bungalow. The construction dates back to early 50’s and the house is well maintained. Myself and my husband prefer to customize out kitchen to bring about a change. We have got some ideas of our taste and we are looking for some kitchen renovators who could help us accomplish what we desire. On this behalf as I was surfing through, I came across several blogs which articulated about professionals who do impeccable kitchen renovations. But I feel I require more information and guidance before we could actually purchase and carry the work ahead. All suggestions and ideas are welcome....

Edited by Susan2anne

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Im currently planning for my renovations too, i think there are a few items that you really got to take note of is the heights of the kitchen cabinets. This height should be based on the master user of the kitchen, i.e. my husband is 1.75m height and im 1.53m height... and im the person that uses the kitchen the most often! so if we did the kitchens in "Standard height" as per the normal kitchen contractors in singapore, i find it very difficult to cook and to even do preparation work i've this experience cos my moms house is made that way and when i use the wok i have to really lift my arm up to fry which is ridiculous. On the contrary as well, if the master user is tall, like 1.8+ and the kitchen is too low, he will get back aches doing the preparation works as he has to slightly crane his head down to cut, etc. 

I'm getting a friend to come up with a proper guide on how to measure etc, its based on the floor to elbow height measurement, its really better to do a customized height rather than your typical option out there and do identify who is going to really use the kitchen the most! One design i've seen at my friends place was a staggered height as both husband and wife cook together often so they each have a preparation space. For the stove its based on the husbands height as he does most of the cooking and handling.

i'll share the measurement guidelines when i've confirmed it with my friend! he is a chiropractor by profession and he has mentioned to me that many of his patients suffer from neck and back aches due to improper furniture heights.