Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kellyla

Changing Job While Planning For A Kid

I am in a dilemma. I am planning to change job because the market has picked up and my current job is getting more stressful day by day.

However, my parents in law is pushing us for a baby and I too want to have one early to avoid late pregnancy complications.

What should I do? If i change a job and gets pregnant 2 mths into it, I might be fired or they might end my contract after 1 year.

:(

Anyone care to advise ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

IMO, try to be prepared for any worst scenario always. Eg. save enough $$ to last u for at least 6 months if u dun work, that includes your cpf savings. Once u've that, just go ahead and change job. If they do terminate u cos u're pregnant, u are still able to survive.

And if I'm not wrong, Singapore does have a woman's act which penalise employers who fired their pregnant employees for invalid reasons.

cakesim hor. commitments commitments & no $$ & need to work.

IMO, try to be prepared for any worst scenario always. Eg. save enough $$ to last u for at least 6 months if u dun work, that includes your cpf savings. Once u've that, just go ahead and change job. If they do terminate u cos u're pregnant, u are still able to survive.

And if I'm not wrong, Singapore does have a woman's act which penalise employers who fired their pregnant employees for invalid reasons.

i ever experience jobless for 6+months..... very worry to resign too..

once resign the new company can 2weeks notice or 1 month notice b4 confirmation to terminate your contract or worst one day....

me too getting marry this year and try to conceive immediately after marriage plus i need 3 months notice

tats y i still stuck in the current sucks company... due to worrry tis worry tat.. its paralise me ....

i'm in a dilemma too juz like kellyla.

sigh. pressure fr ILs lor. plus my current work is not stable as its only a contract role. hence, trying v hard to find a new job n settle down quick b4 trying for a kid. hopefully delay 1 yr max can liao. :S

yah. Also into the new job, you may require to take leave to go for frequent checkup with the gynae.

As my job requires to work OT and I leave late, its also not good for the health.

Then you may seem to be of less productivity to the employers which equals lower performance and hinder your career path.

If I choose to downgrade and work those more relaxed jobs, I may be obselete if I return to the workforce and behind my peers.

Dilemma. It comes to the point whether I want to choose career or family.

Edited by kellyla

Think of it this way, u loyal to your company but ur company might not be loyal to you.

At the end of the day, it boils down to whether u are happy or not. That's the most important. If you can't fulfil your wish to have a complete family, then what's the point of having a job that is secure or pays well?

It's a chain reaction.....if u are happy, u are motivated to work, if u are motivated, u performed well....then no reason for employer to fire you.

Just follow your heart.....the old folks always said 儿孙自有儿孙福. :(

Ur child will bring your wealth. Don't worry too much. Not good for health. :(

If I choose to downgrade and work those more relaxed jobs, I may be obselete if I return to the workforce and behind my peers.

What do you mean by "work those more relaxed jobs, I may be obsolete"? For me, jobs suitable for preggies are like administrative, secretary, receptionist, etc. You won't become obsolete in such jobs mah.

But of course it depends on your job preferences; maybe can advise you better if you can tell us your industry / job scope?

I'm a good example. I planned to look for a new job after serving my 3 months notice. And... then I was a month pregnant!:sport-smiley-004: I tried sending out some CVs and all went to the deep sea. :yamseng:

Now I am 5 months into my pregnancy, can only stay home shake legs and of course got to tighten my belt as well. It is indeed very stressful. So the only advice I have is to have some cash reserve, you never know when you need it.

thanks for the advice.. I just scope down my work

Its true that being loyal to the company does not pay...Family is more important ! :(

Family is important but $$ is for survival. With such exp. housing and high expectation of the next generation and even fierce competition coming from abroad, how not to work and take care, guide our children.

Singapore is not a place for families.

Some1 said.. Career is temporary, while family is for life. u can retire fm work but not family :)

:furious: Know yr rights, here's some info.. hope this helps

- Is an offence under the Employment Act to dismiss or terminate an employee during her maternity leave.

- The Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices (TAFEP) was formed in May 2006 to promote fair n responsible employment practices that are equitable n impartial to all workers, including pregnant employees.

- Pregnant employees who feel they are being discriminated against at the workplace should approach MOM for assistance (6317-1398 or 6317-1164 with details of the case for further investigation).

Source:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...employers_.html

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...ekmomshelp.html

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en...gnantwomen.html

I was asked to resign during my pregnancy. I was working in an education institution before I was pregnant and not knowing that I am expecting, I resigned from my job and join another company doing steel trading. When my mens did not arrive (first month on new job), I did a pregnancy test and it was postive (of course I am extremely thrilled). Initially I did not intend to tell my boss about it but I was needed to go site surveying and my pregnancy was not stable (threatened miscarriage). So I told my boss (hoping that I can be excused from site work) about it and his first facial impression will SHOCK. !! !! :curse: . Then he tried to arrange other assignments for me but few days later he abolished the plan(probably thinking I would be a chore to the Company in the later part of my pregnancy). So finally he asked me to resign and he said if I really wanted to work with him, I can always go back to the Company after delivery.....hahaha! Would anyone go back to such a company? I will not.

I am glad that at that down period, unstable pregnancy and losing my job, I have a supportive husband to stand by me. My sweetie is now 2 1/2 years old and I am a happy mother. :deal: