Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
NesKey

Overlaying the wall tiles in the bathroom

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone could share some feedback on this? Our plan is to overlay the wall of our bathrooms with the tiles. Our unit is the HDB/ BTO 4 room.

Our main concern is whether would the entire bathroom turns out to be significantly small compare to exiting one? Also read about some home owners complaining that the tiles started to pop out after 2 years, Is that the case?

Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Not sure how the overlaying is done but tiling adhesive works best by sticking to rough surfaces so that there's more surface area to "grip". without the rough surface of the raw concrete for the adhesive to stick to, chances of popping will definitely be higher.

overlay will definitely reduce your area since the new tiles would be laid over the existing tiles. if your toilet has an existing area of 2m x 2m currently, you will end up with an internal area of maybe 1.95m x 1.95m since the new tile and tiling adhesive will add on thickness. lets say your new tile is 8mm thick and the tillers put on 10mm of tiling adhesive, this will mean about 2cm is gone. multiply by the opposite wall and about 4cm is gone hence the reduction of area.

Hello! I recently changed the tiles in the bathroom at my parents' house. I also had a question, cut down the old tile and lay a new one, or put it on top of the old tile? On the advice of several craftsmen, I cut down the old one. The next step was to select tiles. Since the tiles were chosen by the parents, we spent a lot of time on them, what kind of tile, what size, color, etc. MoCo Marble Tiles, that's where we left off, that's exactly what my parents approved of and I also liked how it turned out in the end.

it is important to consider a few factors. One concern is whether the overall size of the bathroom will be significantly reduced compared to the existing one. This will depend on the thickness of the tiles and the installation process. It's advisable to consult with a professional contractor or interior designer who can assess your specific situation and provide accurate measurements to ensure the new bathroom maintains a functional size. Regarding the issue of tiles popping out after a couple of years, it's true that some homeowners have experienced this problem. However, it's not necessarily a common occurrence and can be mitigated with proper installation and maintenance. To minimize the risk of tiles popping out, ensure that the tiles are properly installed using high-quality adhesive and grout. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper care, such as avoiding excessive moisture and using appropriate cleaning methods, can help prolong the lifespan of the tiles.It's also worth noting that the quality of the tiles themselves plays a significant role. Opting for reputable tile brands and discussing your concerns with the supplier or contractor can help you choose tiles that are more resistant to popping out or other issues. You can check  WallPanels.com.au for any kind of pannels. To ensure the best outcome for your bathroom renovation, it's highly recommended to consult with professionals who have experience with HDB/BTO units. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation, address your concerns, and help you make informed decisions.

Edited by peter95842