Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fullhouseJL

Taobao wooden furniture after a few years

I'm planning to get a solid wood dining table. I was almost decided on getting a butcher top that is made of pine (something like pic below) until I read that it's considered soft wood and might not be durable. I found one that is more scandinavian that it made of white oak, which is a harder wood and likely to be more durable, but a bit more expensive. Many people on here have bought wooden furniture from taobao/tmall. Could you share your experience on your purchase? How are the furniture holding up in terms of durability, warp-resistance (since SG is much more humid than China), etc? Thanks!

Pine wood->TB2y5GRothvOuFjSZFBXXcZgFXa_!!1686508912

White oak->TB2scWFtXXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1658407678

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 7/20/2017 at 1:26 AM, fullhouseJL said:

I'm planning to get a solid wood dining table. I was almost decided on getting a butcher top that is made of pine (something like pic below) until I read that it's considered soft wood and might not be durable. I found one that is more scandinavian that it made of white oak, which is a harder wood and likely to be more durable, but a bit more expensive. Many people on here have bought wooden furniture from taobao/tmall. Could you share your experience on your purchase? How are the furniture holding up in terms of durability, warp-resistance (since SG is much more humid than China), etc? Thanks!

Pine wood->TB2y5GRothvOuFjSZFBXXcZgFXa_!!1686508912

White oak->TB2scWFtXXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!1658407678

My advice is not to buy anything above SGD 200 on tao bao as you cannot see the items before you pay. And you cannot ask for a refund if the product does not look the same

18 hours ago, Eric Ng said:

My advice is not to buy anything above SGD 200 on tao bao as you cannot see the items before you pay. And you cannot ask for a refund if the product does not look the same

Just to share, I have some furnitures which arrived a few weeks ago from TB - study table, study chair and 2 customised bedside tables (all around 200-400 each). Other than the bedside tables which has some scratches on the laminates (which i am trying to mend using some sort of colored wood fillers), the other two are pretty decent. Considering the price savings which we are getting, i think i can still stomach the flaws (each bedside table cost me around $200. Similar materials in SG will cost me ~$580).

Of course, Eric is right that you cannot see the items before you pay and refund is difficult or even impossible. However, you have to consider the potential savings and see if it is worthwhile to take the risk.

Cheers

Bro u need to read the reviews on Taobao.. Sometimes I read, they say some of the wood at the table legs are rotting.. I bought some chairs b4, when it arrive, there are some dents at the corners

Bro. You need to understand what furniture you are buying. For instances, not all oak are equal. Rubber wood is also marketed as malaysia oak and you got to steer clear, as they are known to wrap and prone to insect. Get walnut wood, zebrawood, teak, Bubinga or bamboo. They are known to be durable and even if they come here with scratches, you can file down. No big deal.

I had furniture from Taobao, but after a while I had to replace it. I've been looking for a good supplier of quality furniture for a long time. And I stopped at Mennonite. It really is a good company with furniture. So Why are Mennonites so good at furniture making? It has to do mainly with the type of wood they use to make their products. Now most companies use cheap and light wood unlike Mennonite furniture, which is made from solid wood like maple, oak and cherry.

Hello everyone! Let me share my experience with Breeo. This company has truly left a lasting impression on me. Not only are their products innovative and high-quality, but their commitment to customer service is also exceptional. When I had a question about one of their fire pits, breeo customer service was quick to respond and provided me with all the information I needed.