Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Charlyn

PD toilet door installation gone wrong

I bought two PD doors from HDB Door Pte Ltd: https://www.hdbdoor.com.sg/promotions/

There was some initial confusion over whether the door will be retrofitted onto my old one with the old frame or will be installed without the old frame. I made clear to them that my old frame was very old, ugly and damaged at the start and there was no issue. They admitted their mistake and redid their doors so they can fit them to my toilets without the old, ugly frames. Wasted some time but this is still fine.

Then come the day of installation. For some reason, after installing one side of the frame to the wall, they told me in order for the door to be straight and for it to close, the other side will protrude out if not the door will not close. So, I said you of course need to install in a way that the door will close. The end result is in the attached picture. It is very strange that the door needs to protrude out for it to close though. I later checked with another contractor the following day that this must be a mistake they made when they first install the left side. Now there is a sharp edge and my family said that is very dangerous and could hurt anyone.

So for the second door, I told them to slant a bit so it does not protrude and the end result is in the attached picture. The whole door is extremely slanted and pretty ugly.

What would you do now if you are me?

20170903_104940.jpg

20170903_105020.jpg

20170903_114948.jpg

Edited by Charlyn

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 9/3/2017 at 11:52 AM, Charlyn said:

I bought two PD doors from HDB Door Pte Ltd: https://www.hdbdoor.com.sg/promotions/

There was some initial confusion over whether the door will be retrofitted onto my old one with the old frame or will be installed without the old frame. I made clear to them that my old frame was very old, ugly and damaged at the start and there was no issue. They admitted their mistake and redid their doors so they can fit them to my toilets without the old, ugly frames. Wasted some time but this is still fine.

Then come the day of installation. For some reason, after installing one side of the frame to the wall, they told me in order for the door to be straight and for it to close, the other side will protrude out if not the door will not close. So, I said you of course need to install in a way that the door will close. The end result is in the attached picture. It is very strange that the door needs to protrude out for it to close though. I later checked with another contractor the following day that this must be a mistake they made when they first install the left side. Now there is a sharp edge and my family said that is very dangerous and could hurt anyone.

So for the second door, I told them to slant a bit so it does not protrude and the end result is in the attached picture. The whole door is extremely slanted and pretty ugly.

What would you do now if you are me?

20170903_104940.jpg

20170903_105020.jpg

20170903_114948.jpg

Firstly, like most renovation company I dont think HDB Door Pte Ltd manufacture PD doors, they take your order and install for you.

Looking from that, I am not 100% but I think you can:

1) have a tiler/cement guy to extend the kerb on the inside of the bathroom such that, the sharp edge is not protruding out.

2) tile the door from left right, such that the sharp edge protruding is on the other side, not sure will that cause more hinder.

3) get them to smooth the edge of the protruding point to minimise the cut (fingers crossed)

Hope it helps :)

@RobinHo0d: Thanks for your reply

I got another contractor to come and fix these. The first door the contractor helped to file the sharp corner so it doesnt hurt anyone. The second door I had to pay extra costs to get the contractor to dismantle and reinstall the entire door to make it straight.

See pictures attached. So much better now. 

5dfa469f-b6e9-4cc0-88b3-d3058790ac4d.jpg

f8bc0d4a-f23a-4d30-bc6a-9d57b312c847.jpg

f3363e46-8611-49bf-886b-7c24b1074296.jpg

I look at the pictures and have to say that the first company is TOTALLY USELESS.

Luckily you found the 2nd contractor.