Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Doremon

Grow Herbs In Hdb

Anyone grows herbs in their hdb house? I am intending to grow thyme, parsley, basil leaves but not sure if the climate is suitable.

Any recommendations on what I can grow and also be able to use in cooking? And where to find the seeds or baby plant?

The plants I know possible are

Pandan leaves

Chilli,

Basil Leaves

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hello Doremon,

I'm also intending to do that. I've read that for beginners (i.e. non green fingers like me), it's best to buy potted herbs first, then progress to seeds. I guess it's cos from seeds more ma fan, then if we fail halfway, we give up without knowing the joy of having the herbs? Haha.

I intend to grow them in my kitchen. Like you, not sure what herbs are suitable. I think I've seen some being sold in Cold Storage. Good luck to us! :deal:

Anyone grows herbs in their hdb house? I am intending to grow thyme, parsley, basil leaves but not sure if the climate is suitable.

Any recommendations on what I can grow and also be able to use in cooking? And where to find the seeds or baby plant?

The plants I know possible are

Pandan leaves

Chilli,

Basil Leaves

I saw a book in Popular talking about herbs and how to grow them including the type of soil.

Totally agree that we need to start from potted herbs coz I don't know where to get the soil and seeds also.

The other day I saw basil leaves and another herb being sold at Marketplace, B1 Raffles city too.

Hello, I grow a number of herbs in my flat. :D Some are doing quite well, but they need some sunlight. The Italian basil will grow for a while, but will not last. The Thai basil will thrive with sunlight!

Hi, can you share where you bought the Italian basil, how it grew and and where you put the pot...I'm interested in growing herbs too. Previously, I planted Pandan and Indian Borage but both grew tall and skinny, and little bald too after I use the leaves. :)

Hi bluey

What other herbs do you grow? Am keen to know more too, before moving in to my flat :notti: Really quite a non green finger person, so wondering if it will be complicated? Initial thoughts are to grow some in the kitchen probably....

I'm no expert and certainly don't have my mother's green thumbs. But I'm really trying. My flat doesn't get much direct sun, so I put many of the herbs near the window, or outside (I have a little corner outside the flat). I'm growing culantro, lemon balm, thai basil, curry leaves, chilli, aloe vera (is this a herb?), moses in the cradle and something else I don't know the name of :dancingqueen:

The Italian basil I grew was bought from Carrefour. It came in a pot. I put it near the window and it lasted about 4 months.

I don't think I know enough about soils to advise. I'm still experimenting. But one thing I can say is that you have to fertilize. I use this organic one in a packet, you can get it from IKEA.

If anyone else has tips, please share with us :dancingqueen:

Hi all,

i saw potted herbs in Far East floral before... quite a variety :sport-smiley-003:

Which far east flora did you see the herbs? How long ago was this? What sort of herbs did they have? Sorry for the flood of questions...very excited after reading your comment :deal:

Which far east flora did you see the herbs? How long ago was this? What sort of herbs did they have? Sorry for the flood of questions...very excited after reading your comment :sport-smiley-004:

I saw Basil & Mint Leaves @ Far East Flora Queenstown. (Next to the Macdonald in Tea Garden)