Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
antz_ng

Pay Plastic Bag To Buy From Ikea (starting From 22 April)

Dear All,

Pls read. I don't think it is fair to make consumers to buy Plastic Bags, while we are buying their products.

Ikea to start charging customers for plastic bags

Retailer hopes to cut waste; from April 22, shoppers will pay up to 10 cents for them

By Tania Tan

Apr 11, 2007

The Straits Times

HOMEWARE store Ikea will become the first retailer in Singapore to charge for plastic bags in a bid to reduce waste.

From April 22, shoppers at the retail giant's two outlets in Alexandra Road and Tampines will have to pay a nominal five cents for standard-size bags and 10 cents for larger ones.

Ikea spokesman Lars Svensson told The Straits Times the company is hoping to reduce the number of bags given out to customers here from the projected 5.5 million to four million in the first year.

They will also cut the price of their reusable blue bags from $2.90 to $1.20 to encourage more customers to BYOB (bring your own bag).

'The whole idea of the campaign is to change consumer practice in the long run,' said Mr Svensson.

To make sure the company is not accused of profiteering, proceeds from the sale of the bags will be donated to the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to fund conservation efforts in Indonesia.

The money will help fund initiatives by the Indonesian government and non-government organisations to prevent and monitor illegal fires and forest-clearing and promote sustainable forest management.

Singapore is the latest country to be targeted in Ikea's global campaign against plastic bags.

The campaign was rolled out in Britain last year, where it proved to be a huge success. Charging 10 pence (29 cents) per bag, the initiative cut the store's plastic bag usage by 95 per cent, said Mr Svensson.

Customers in the United States started paying for their plastic bags in February this year.

The money raised in those sales was also channelled to environmental causes.

Singapore has tried reducing plastic bag usage before, with mixed results.

Past initiatives, like the National Environment Agency's (NEA) campaign last year to encourage reusable bags, met with varied results.

Though people are more aware of reusable bags, the number of disposable bags used has held steady at 2.5 billion a year, said the NEA. That works out to 625 bags per person.

Executive director of the Singapore Environment Council Howard Shaw said the resistance by retailers boiled down to 'a fear of losing customers'.

He hoped that Ikea's step will pave the way for other industry players to jump on the bandwagon.

Mr Harold Kloeden, managing director of waste management company Altvater Jakob, said: 'Hopefully the public will get more sensible and sensitive...and more people will start thinking about the environment.'

Other retailers, however, are not keen on the idea.

Cold Storage said it would not charge for plastic bags as results from consumer surveys clearly showed that 'customers would not pay'.

Likewise, NTUC FairPrice said it prefers to encourage reusable bag use instead of charging.

Shoppers like Miss Chen Ai Lian, 30, are equally unenthusiastic.

'Plastic bags are like advertisements for the retailers,' said the teacher. 'I don't see why I should pay to advertise for them.'

Undergraduate Mr Wang Zhenglin, 24, agreed.

'Pay? Definitely not,' he said.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think it's fine.. I am an environmentalist and when I studied in the UK 7 years ago, I had to pay for plastic bags too.. In Spore I think the usage of plastic bags is too liberal, Often I have at least 2-3 pieces too many plastic bags from NTUC or Cold Storage for a S$30 worth of groceries.. Sometimes I asked them to combine the items.. I reuse these plastic bags for lining my trashbins, but there are still piles and piles of them despite my effort.

Paying for the plastic bag, is the only effective way to force the usage of reusable bags. Encouragement is nice, but it's not the most effective.

When I was teenager I read a story about the future (forgot the title, it was a child novel from a scandinavian country), where the earth is so poluted, plants can't grow anymore easily. Vegetables have to be grown in green houses and it costs like ****, and water has to be obtained by processing sea water. Government had to ration the water alocation per head and each family can only have so much. Clothes are not washed, they're treated chemically instead. The world can't afford to keep zoos in many places, so most children can't learn about animal 1st hand, they only know them from books.

From surveys, most customers of course will not be happy in paying for plastic bags. After all if we're so used to get it for free, why would we want to pay now? But just remember plastic is a non biodegradable, and Spore has limited space for landfill or incinerator (which will give you nasty fumes in your atmosphere in return), so if we start to do our little bit now, if we're not counted as doing much in sustaining the environment, at the least, we're doing less to harm it.

Edited by Nin's

Dear All,

Pls read. I don't think it is fair to make consumers to buy Plastic Bags, while we are buying their products.

Ikea to start charging customers for plastic bags

Retailer hopes to cut waste; from April 22, shoppers will pay up to 10 cents for them

By Tania Tan

Apr 11, 2007

The Straits Times

HOMEWARE store Ikea will become the first retailer in Singapore to charge for plastic bags in a bid to reduce waste.

From April 22, shoppers at the retail giant's two outlets in Alexandra Road and Tampines will have to pay a nominal five cents for standard-size bags and 10 cents for larger ones.

Ikea spokesman Lars Svensson told The Straits Times the company is hoping to reduce the number of bags given out to customers here from the projected 5.5 million to four million in the first year.

They will also cut the price of their reusable blue bags from $2.90 to $1.20 to encourage more customers to BYOB (bring your own bag).

'The whole idea of the campaign is to change consumer practice in the long run,' said Mr Svensson.

To make sure the company is not accused of profiteering, proceeds from the sale of the bags will be donated to the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) to fund conservation efforts in Indonesia.

The money will help fund initiatives by the Indonesian government and non-government organisations to prevent and monitor illegal fires and forest-clearing and promote sustainable forest management.

Singapore is the latest country to be targeted in Ikea's global campaign against plastic bags.

The campaign was rolled out in Britain last year, where it proved to be a huge success. Charging 10 pence (29 cents) per bag, the initiative cut the store's plastic bag usage by 95 per cent, said Mr Svensson.

Customers in the United States started paying for their plastic bags in February this year.

The money raised in those sales was also channelled to environmental causes.

Singapore has tried reducing plastic bag usage before, with mixed results.

Past initiatives, like the National Environment Agency's (NEA) campaign last year to encourage reusable bags, met with varied results.

Though people are more aware of reusable bags, the number of disposable bags used has held steady at 2.5 billion a year, said the NEA. That works out to 625 bags per person.

Executive director of the Singapore Environment Council Howard Shaw said the resistance by retailers boiled down to 'a fear of losing customers'.

He hoped that Ikea's step will pave the way for other industry players to jump on the bandwagon.

Mr Harold Kloeden, managing director of waste management company Altvater Jakob, said: 'Hopefully the public will get more sensible and sensitive...and more people will start thinking about the environment.'

Other retailers, however, are not keen on the idea.

Cold Storage said it would not charge for plastic bags as results from consumer surveys clearly showed that 'customers would not pay'.

Likewise, NTUC FairPrice said it prefers to encourage reusable bag use instead of charging.

Shoppers like Miss Chen Ai Lian, 30, are equally unenthusiastic.

'Plastic bags are like advertisements for the retailers,' said the teacher. 'I don't see why I should pay to advertise for them.'

Undergraduate Mr Wang Zhenglin, 24, agreed.

'Pay? Definitely not,' he said.

my god :good: excuse excuse excuse

Dear All,

This is free market forces at work. If a store decides to offer free bags as a customer benefit, then so be it.

If dun agree to paying for bags, bring own, or dun shop. Businesses will evaluate customer preferences and offer benefits accordingly.

This is not about fairness. It's simply biz strategy.

In many countries... paying for plastic bag is very common... even happen in Indonesia...

Yes, I agree... just that Singapore has never practised it and suddenly ppl feel that why should they pay for something they have gotten free all along.. IMHO, its just a simple compromise of bringing your own bags if you are not willing to pay or utilise the bags fully.

Furthermore, if its true that the 10cents per bag will go to an environmental fund, isn't that also doing some good. At least its not pure profit..

Just my opinion, hope I don't offend others. :P

Yup I agree with White_affair, I'm impressed that they actually am willing to pay for the plastic bags, then give the proceeds back to society. Although the cost of the bags is eventually calculated back into the cost of the products. But we can all help to make the world a greener place.

In many countries... paying for plastic bag is very common... even happen in Indonesia...

Its true, and I support this as well. In fact with such practices happening in so many countries, its a surprise to me why Singapore is left behind on such good practice.

actually I use those plastic bag to throw my rubbish... not sure why my house have so much rubbish ... everyday I need at least 2...

actually I use those plastic bag to throw my rubbish... not sure why my house have so much rubbish ... everyday I need at least 2...

Same here! And I guess many people as well.

So if they really want to save the environment, they must do more than to stop us from getting free plastic bags, because if we do not have these bags for our rubbish bins, we will go out and buy plastic bags to use right? Free plastic bags go down, but purchased plastic bags go up, in the end also LPPL, while the consumer suffers by paying both ways.

They should also help us find a replacement for our rubbish bins, maybe recycled bags or something...

Edited by zirhk3355

Same here! And I guess many people as well.

So if they really want to save the environment, they must do more than to stop us from getting free plastic bags, because if we do not have these bags for our rubbish bins, we will go out and buy plastic bags to use right? Free plastic bags go down, but purchased plastic bags go up, in the end also LPPL, while the consumer suffers by paying both ways.

They should also help us find a replacement for our rubbish bins, maybe recycled bags or something...

Totally agree... in order to use less plastic bag... they must find a way for us to throw the rubbish without the plastic bag...

Dear All,

Why not? Do your bit for the environment. The latest UN report on Mother Earth is already a warning.

I think this should be extended to more places, especially supermarkets where the use of plastic bags is really excessivem, wasteful and sometimes unnecessary. I have seen people buying newspaper and demanding a plastic bag. Why do you need a plastic bag for a newspaper?!

I had the opportunity to stay in Sweden for a while. Over there, almost everyone would bring their own grocery bags to the supermarket to do their shopping, else you would have to pay for their paperbags which cost 50cents each. I also got into the habit as times goes by. However, as soon as I am back home, I totally put aside my grocery bags as free plastic bags are readily available everywhere, why bother.

I believe its a matter of getting use to.

Dear All,

Why not? Do your bit for the environment. The latest UN report on Mother Earth is already a warning.

I think this should be extended to more places, especially supermarkets where the use of plastic bags is really excessivem, wasteful and sometimes unnecessary. I have seen people buying newspaper and demanding a plastic bag. Why do you need a plastic bag for a newspaper?!

I had the opportunity to stay in Sweden for a while. Over there, almost everyone would bring their own grocery bags to the supermarket to do their shopping, else you would have to pay for their paperbags which cost 50cents each. I also got into the habit as times goes by. However, as soon as I am back home, I totally put aside my grocery bags as free plastic bags are readily available everywhere, why bother.

I believe its a matter of getting use to

Totally agree... in order to use less plastic bag... they must find a way for us to throw the rubbish without the plastic bag...

Why not WE start brainstorming and exchange best practice ideas? after all, we're the one who generates the rubbish..

Why not WE start brainstorming and exchange best practice ideas? after all, we're the one who generates the rubbish..

YA... may be can create a topic on that...