Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tubo

Varnish/Painting on old HDB door and old furniture

Hi all:

I decide to give my 3 bedroom door a new look. I decide to do it myself. I am second owner and I don't know what is the existing door surface finishing. Is it varnish or some kind of paint? I want to maintain the nature wood grain and better a light/clear color. below is 2 photo of my bedroom door. Anyone know is that varnish or not? I found the Nippon Timberlac clear color. is it can be use on my door? Do I need to use a sand paper to remove all the existing surface before apply? Then it is a lot of work. 

image.png.6bfc5fb712fbe5791453410f4c9f4ae0.pngimage.png.f44d55b863b6e1fba06ebafa24f3210f.png

Below is the photo of my wood furniture. Can I do the same with Nippon Timberlac Clear? Or what kind of paint or varnish you recommend?

Any other better way? I heard there is some kind of wax or oil things. I have google it but still have no idea what it is.

image.png.387185dd3e5168e779dd3c2724aabcb5.png

Edited by Tubo

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I have use the Nippon Bodelac 9000 white on my main gate door. Looks pretty ok. But for bedroom door and some furniture i want to maintain the nature wood grain and lighter color.

Process better to simple not so difficult. Any good recommendation? 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, Tubo said:

I have use the Nippon Bodelac 9000 white on my main gate door. Looks pretty ok. But for bedroom door and some furniture i want to maintain the nature wood grain and lighter color.

There are 2 options of mantaining your nature wood grainon your exisitng door. 

No 1, option is either doing some patching due to dented and sanding away old stains before revanishing with lacquer.

No 2, option would be changing your bedroom door surface to either laminate or veneer depending on your choice. You can choose from various design and color and giving you a new look.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Tubo said:

Hi all:

I decide to give my 3 bedroom door a new look. I decide to do it myself. I am second owner and I don't know what is the existing door surface finishing. Is it varnish or some kind of paint? I want to maintain the nature wood grain and better a light/clear color. below is 2 photo of my bedroom door. Anyone know is that varnish or not? I found the Nippon Timberlac clear color. is it can be use on my door? Do I need to use a sand paper to remove all the existing surface before apply? Then it is a lot of work. 

image.png.6bfc5fb712fbe5791453410f4c9f4ae0.pngimage.png.f44d55b863b6e1fba06ebafa24f3210f.png

Below is the photo of my wood furniture. Can I do the same with Nippon Timberlac Clear? Or what kind of paint or varnish you recommend?

Any other better way? I heard there is some kind of wax or oil things. I have google it but still have no idea what it is.

image.png.387185dd3e5168e779dd3c2724aabcb5.png

This type of solid timber door you hardly find now in Spore. It's better for you to preserve it and it can last till your next generation. Need to do some timber patty on dented parts and do some sanding be4 applying Mahogany tapin base lacquer to vanish.  

Frankly speaking, I don't like to renovate old things. I would prefer to order a new one, then spend a lot of time sanding old paint, re-coating, and waiting until the door dries and the acrid smell of paint at home disappears. Time and health are in priority for me. To tell the truth, nowadays the prices on the finished doors are really good. For example, we ordered some new doors for our first floor last year from https://doordesignlab.com and the total amount was really very affordable and pleasant. Honestly, I thought that it will cost more. More than all, when you paint by yourself, you don't have special equipment for this: a compressor and special paint gun most likely you will paint with a brush, so the result will not look so perfect. You even can spoil the door altogether.