Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BhongNCorrine

Not Hdb Registered Reno Contractor

Can a reno contractor without a HDB registered license do any renovation works to a HDB flat ?

I was reading throught the RenoGuide Book published by the HDB, it says that

quote:

"You are required to engage an HDB registered renovation contractor to

renovate your flat for works including those that do not require a

renovation permit."

unquote:

Presently, i am talking to a reno contractor not registered to HDB, she didn't tell me anything about it.

i was wondering why ?

A few questions i have in mind ..

1) if i am to engage a contractor not registered to HDB to do my renovation, will i get penalised?

2) if a contractor is not registered to HDB, how can they go about doing the renovation work?

Anyone can help ...

a bit confuse here ...

:)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Can a reno contractor without a HDB registered license do any renovation works to a HDB flat ?

I was reading throught the RenoGuide Book published by the HDB, it says that

quote:

"You are required to engage an HDB registered renovation contractor to

renovate your flat for works including those that do not require a

renovation permit."

unquote:

Presently, i am talking to a reno contractor not registered to HDB, she didn't tell me anything about it.

i was wondering why ?

A few questions i have in mind ..

1) if i am to engage a contractor not registered to HDB to do my renovation, will i get penalised?

2) if a contractor is not registered to HDB, how can they go about doing the renovation work?

Anyone can help ...

a bit confuse here ...

:bangwall:

U should ask HDB officer directly on this question. :)

But personally I still prefer HDB registered reno contractor. !!

There are thousands of HDB registered contractors. Surely you can find one you like. What's the problem?

Why go through the hassle of doing something not allowed and hoping nothing goes wrong?

One question came to my mind is that how can this contractor do reno works without HDB licence? that is totally illegal.

I also agree that it is best dont get into trouble should this contractor be fined later on. Your reno work will be interrupted, so as your marriage plan or whatever.

One question came to my mind is that how can this contractor do reno works without HDB licence? that is totally illegal.

I also agree that it is best dont get into trouble should this contractor be fined later on. Your reno work will be interrupted, so as your marriage plan or whatever.

erm, think the industrial practice is that the contractor will 'rent' the licence from those holding it

though not suppose to let hdb know loh

erm, think the industrial practice is that the contractor will 'rent' the licence from those holding it

though not suppose to let hdb know loh

A lot people misled by the HDB license. Many people don't know there is no need renovation license or permit needed to do interior renovation works (NOT civil structural works) for Condo and private house.

Because HDB is government property and they want to ensure their people (mostly ordinary people) does not engage contractor who will cheat money and anyhow damage HDB flat structure. So HDB permit needed for contractor to renovate HDB flat.

actually the regulation is just that all HDB flats can only be renovated by HDB LICENCED contractors

if not, when you try to sell the unit, you are required to pay a penalty or remove the alterations done by the unlicenced contractor

please note that HDB DO NOT interfere on behalf of lessees when it comes to disputes with contractors. so you can still be cheated if you use a LICENCED contractor

some things done by licenced and unlicenced contractors, the price difference can amount to hundreds

e.g. addition of electrical points, air-con brackets etc

actually the regulation is just that all HDB flats can only be renovated by HDB LICENCED contractors

if not, when you try to sell the unit, you are required to pay a penalty or remove the alterations done by the unlicenced contractor

please note that HDB DO NOT interfere on behalf of lessees when it comes to disputes with contractors. so you can still be cheated if you use a LICENCED contractor

some things done by licenced and unlicenced contractors, the price difference can amount to hundreds

e.g. addition of electrical points, air-con brackets etc

Can someone advise me where I can check if the ID or contractor I am engaging is licenced or not?? I went to HBay and Radac website but cant seem to find any of the IDs that I may be interested in.. Is that impt??

Edited by white_affair

Because HDB is government property and they want to ensure their people (mostly ordinary people) does not engage contractor who will cheat money and anyhow damage HDB flat structure. So HDB permit needed for contractor to renovate HDB flat.

That is not quite correct. HDB flat is not govt property. What you bought belongs to you. Not to the govt. Of course, what you didn't buy (ie the common areas, the void deck, etc) doesn't belong to you, it belongs to HDB.

The reason you have to engage a HDB licensed contractor is simple-- it's in the HDB regulations. The reason is not to prevent cheating-- licensing is never about vouching for a person's honesty, it only attests to a person's competence and capability to perform the work.

So a HDB registered contractor is one whom HDB believes is qualified to carry out the work he is licensed to. And by implication, if you don't use a HDB licenced contractor, you are taking a risk because HDB never said he was qualified to do the work.

just a little correction

HDB flat belongs to HDB, all of us are only leasing it from HDB

that's why on the deed we are only lessees co-lessees, not owners

unlike private property where you are listed as owner

the cheat money part, all of us know it's rubbish coz HDB will not do anything even if we really got cheated by a HDB-licenced contractor.

it has more to do with the structure of the flat

think there was a case where a lessee in jurong asked his contractor to reduce the size of a structural beam. in the end the walls started to crack and HDB came down to inspect. the lessee ended up with a even bigger beam... :D

something you might want to consider, go to the contractor / ID you want

then tell them you WANT someone with HDB licence

they will do the necessary but you may have to pay the price of 'borrowing' the licence

You are a lessee only to the extent that HDB properties are 99-year leasehold properties, thus it is true that it reverts back to HDB after 99 years.

But that applies for private properties on 99-year leases too.

You own the flat to the extent that you can do what you want with it as long as it does not affect the structure or safety, and it complies with all applicable laws and regulations.

If you were truly just leasing it, you would not be able to do any kind of alterations because it does not belong to you. And you would not be able to will it to your next of kin when you pass away, or buy or sell it as and when you like, at a price of your choosing.

I know it's a gray area and a politically sensitive issue, but one should not downplay one's rights or look down on oneself as merely a lessee.

My original point still stands-- there are so many HDB contractors around, so why bother with those uregistered contractors.

just a little correction

HDB flat belongs to HDB, all of us are only leasing it from HDB

that's why on the deed we are only lessees co-lessees, not owners

unlike private property where you are listed as owner

the cheat money part, all of us know it's rubbish coz HDB will not do anything even if we really got cheated by a HDB-licenced contractor.

it has more to do with the structure of the flat

think there was a case where a lessee in jurong asked his contractor to reduce the size of a structural beam. in the end the walls started to crack and HDB came down to inspect. the lessee ended up with a even bigger beam... :thumbs up:

something you might want to consider, go to the contractor / ID you want

then tell them you WANT someone with HDB licence

they will do the necessary but you may have to pay the price of 'borrowing' the licence

HDB licence is just another formality enforced by the govt. When a company does not have the licence, it may mean that they might have violated some regulations or maybe they are new and the licence application is still pending.

But there IS a small category who DO NOT WANT to get a licence, simply because they are concentrating on private residences or commercial/hospitality developments. Since they don't do HDB flats, why spend money to get a licence?

In short when a ID/contractor does not have a licence, it does not mean they are no good. Do find out more about why they do not have licence; you maybe facing a **** good designer lor...