Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zacey

Anyone Customise Study Tables?

hihi..

i am now in a dilemna.. have included the customisation of a L-shaped study table in my reno.. but then, the 3D design my ID showed me was not up to my expectations.. the design is just one chunk of wood attached to the wall.. with drawers.. those very square and rigid type.. so old and conventional... :notti: so i told my ID i will look for study tables.. if i find sth i like, i will take it out from the reno.. he said ok but cos i got space constraint, i must be careful during my purchase...

there are however very few shops selling study tables.. not to mention L-shaped style... though the ready-made ones are definitely nicer than what my ID's contractor can make loh... :unsure:

sianz.. so wanna ask fellow forumers here... anyone customise their study table?? what kind of designs?? can show me? or if you all buy.. where to buy nicer study tables??? can recommend your carpentry contractor/ shops that sell/customise nice study tables?? :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hihi..

i am now in a dilemna.. have included the customisation of a L-shaped study table in my reno.. but then, the 3D design my ID showed me was not up to my expectations.. the design is just one chunk of wood attached to the wall.. with drawers.. those very square and rigid type.. so old and conventional... :notti: so i told my ID i will look for study tables.. if i find sth i like, i will take it out from the reno.. he said ok but cos i got space constraint, i must be careful during my purchase...

there are however very few shops selling study tables.. not to mention L-shaped style... though the ready-made ones are definitely nicer than what my ID's contractor can make loh... :yamseng:

sianz.. so wanna ask fellow forumers here... anyone customise their study table?? what kind of designs?? can show me? or if you all buy.. where to buy nicer study tables??? can recommend your carpentry contractor/ shops that sell/customise nice study tables?? :yamseng:

No one can help??? :)

Erm, this may not be a popular choice, but I think Ikea's tables are quite good leh. Can mix and match the shapes and sizes also.

I also 'custom-built' my own L-shaped study table from Ikea and had been using for more than 7 years liao.

Erm, this may not be a popular choice, but I think Ikea's tables are quite good leh. Can mix and match the shapes and sizes also.

I also 'custom-built' my own L-shaped study table from Ikea and had been using for more than 7 years liao.

thanks zirhk3355!:bangwall: i really appreciate your reply.. !!

Hi,

I got my contractor to build my study table.. but the effect isn't that fantastic and not to mention it is more expensive

thanks zirhk3355!:bangwall: i really appreciate your reply.. !!

DIY will be a better choice rather then getting an ID or contactor to do it. unless you want to have a more fancyful design where no one had it.

as zirhk3355 mention get from ikea will be a better choice. but i heard before dont know true or not. their materials had increase in price and also the quality grade had drop.

Hi,

I got my contractor to build my study table.. but the effect isn't that fantastic and not to mention it is more expensive

ya loh.. i saw the 3D pictures.. and i saw the actual study table (Work Desk) at my ID's place.. haiz... so disappointing... and for that price.. really not worth it loh...

DIY will be a better choice rather then getting an ID or contactor to do it. unless you want to have a more fancyful design where no one had it.

as zirhk3355 mention get from ikea will be a better choice. but i heard before dont know true or not. their materials had increase in price and also the quality grade had drop.

ya loh.. i also heard... any comments on vhive? their office furniture collection quite nice too...

If you are ok with office furniture, what about trying to call up those office-system furniture people? They are probably the professionals on space planning - many small firms also have small spaces to fill mah. But you might make your home look like office lah, although nowadays office-system all quite nice one.

Maybe not be very friendly to you if you just buy like one or two pieces, but got business they sure entertain one mah.

If you are ok with office furniture, what about trying to call up those office-system furniture people? They are probably the professionals on space planning - many small firms also have small spaces to fill mah. But you might make your home look like office lah, although nowadays office-system all quite nice one.

Maybe not be very friendly to you if you just buy like one or two pieces, but got business they sure entertain one mah.

thanks!! in fact, i went to vhive at funan last nite.. they got quite a number of nice office tables.. but they do not do customisation.. have to figure which to get to minimise my space constraint problem... :D

With so many readily available study tables to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice. Not too keen with customisation, most probably just a piece of wood push against the wall, a bit tad dull for my liking. In fact with a bit of imagination, some nice dining tables can also be used as study table.

And yeah, Ikea study tables are good enough, especially the Galant series with tempered glass top.

thanks!! in fact, i went to vhive at funan last nite.. they got quite a number of nice office tables.. but they do not do customisation.. have to figure which to get to minimise my space constraint problem... :notti:

No, I am talking about those 'real' office-system people who supply those cubicles, partitions, cabinets, etc for commercial offices. They also accustomed to small spaces and I am sure can work out something for you.

But like I said, will make your home/room look like an office lor... ;)

ya loh.. i also heard... any comments on vhive? their office furniture collection quite nice too...

i got mine from study table from vhive. till now very comfortable with it.

u can get it from sales, since now is GSS. maybe u can get a good price for it.

Speaking of vhive, I have a very embarassing incident to share, which happened today at Vhive's great world city branch.

I sat on one of those single seater, which is like a day bed that can let you relax and stretch out in a semi-lying-down position (sorry not sure what to call such chairs). As I was getting up and sat at the side of the chair, one of the legs gave way and I fell on the ground together with it.

Okok, I am abit on the plump side lah, but not Moses Lim type one ok, I am 82kg. Checked on the chair's leg and found that it was only secured with four small screws, about 2cm long only!!

I swear never to buy anything from Vhive at all...

hi zirhk3355

how do you "custom-built" your ikea study table? i am also facing with this problem with my kids' study table. if your way is useful, i can consider too. customised study by contractors are usually very rigid and expensive.

Oops. Missed out this thread.

This is my custom-made study table which I got my carpenter to make. The idea is to have the study table extending out of the the bookshelves. There are 2 sides to the study table: an L-shape side that you can see from the photo, and at the other end, a straight side.

dpp00399zf.th.jpg

The concept was great, but the implementation was flawed. The carpenter ended up using a very thick piece of wood (more than 2 inches thick), and this resulted in a very high table. Had we design the table to be lower, or had the carpenter used a thinner piece of wood for the table top, it would have been perfect.

Edited by ARCHer