Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

hi guys,

i am looking tiles for my my whole 5-units room however my wife and i dun like the tiles that selected by my contractor due to our budget limitation meanwhile we like to know where else could we select the tiles by ourself before approach to our contractor.we did refer to our contractor where did he get the tile supply, he said that their company have their own supplier however i am not very happy with his answer..so therefore we would like to hear from u guys whether any recommendations for us..where to select the tiles...m we might think of change our contractor..any introduce for us ...

hope to hear from u guys soon...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ask your contractor to quote you for just the laying of tiles, inclusive of cement and sand. Then you can walk into any tiles showroom and bargain with them, telling them that you are buying it yourself and not having any ID/contractor as middlemen. They should be able to give you a good price, in fact, they might even give you the same price as what they gave the ID/contractor.

You can go to the whole stretch of tiles shop at Balestier; coming from Thomson Road, first turn after you see the first 7-11. Or you can go to SBH, at Toh Guan Rd opposite IMM. Or maybe Multibuild at 10 Defu Lane, Fullion Building.

All these above should give you a very very wide range of selection liao...

i can already predict

that when your contractor lay finish the tiles

the end product may have problem,

so u will start blaming the contractor workmanship

and the contractors will push the defacts fault to your tile supplier

enjoy

contractors ftw

That's being extremely pessimistic. One should have a bit more faith.

i can already predict

enjoy

contractors ftw

i can already predict

enjoy

contractors ftw

That really depends on the contractor lor - if the tilers are their own workers, they would rather get them some labour jobs to do, rather than to lose the whole thing altogether, right? From what I know, don't talk about "robert-carrot" cases, usually the contractors do not earn alot from getting tiles for you. They earn more in the labour costs.

To prevent disputes, very simple: Get the tiles supplier to come down and ask them to thrash it out in the spot in front of you. Don't let them say one thing and push you to the other person, making you like the middleman when you are actually the customer!

Worried that the tiles supplier don't come down? Then negotiate some kind of terms of payment, like 10% upon ordering, 80% upon delivery and 10% upon complete installation. The last 10% will make the tiles supplier come down.

i can already predict

enjoy

contractors ftw

actually won't lah

really depends on the contractor loh

i also didn't like any tiles from the contractor's supplier so i went and buy my own tiles and get the contractor to lay

but one thing is i went down several times during the tiling works and offered the tilers drinks and brought down a fan for him

so he did my tiles swee swee !!

but getting tiles yourself must ask for big big discount. upfront they'll offer 20% discount, you can go for another $0.10 or $0.20 off the discounted price, depending on the price of the tiles

yes i understand what you ppl are typing

but what i typed have happen before

so one must always becareful when approaching this method of doing their flooring

yes i understand what you ppl are typing

but what i typed have happen before

so one must always becareful when approaching this method of doing their flooring

Do you do that to your clients? As in those who insists on getting their own tiles instead of going for your suppliers, do you push the defacts fault to your client's tile supplier??? :dunno:

this type of situation usually happens when only the clients go for contractors due to budget constrain

as contractors give u only a few choices for tiles

as for me

no i dont have this problem as im not a contractor and my supplier has wide variety of tiles for my client to choose

actually i find that different tile supplier have different tiles

i only went to the shops next to each other on balestier and find that the tiles they have are quite different i.e. what you can find in one is not available in the other

why i bought my tiles from hup kiong is simply bcoz none of the others carry this tile...

as for the workmanship, if you have a choice who to lay the tiles

choose those with reputation for good workmanship

if you are not sure or worried, make your contractor check the tiles and need be check them together with him

if the tiles pass inspection, then there is no excuse for poor workmanship :sport-smiley-004:

well, like what zirhk3355 suggested, you can go to balestier and visit the few tile suppliers there to see the type of tiles offered.

Also, since your contractor has a supplier, out of courtesy, go look at what he has to offer. For all you know, he may have tiles that you like.

In the event you don't like the tiles selection provided by your contractor's supplier, you can justify to him that you don't like the selection and bring him to the supplier where you like the tiles. Get him to get direct from the supplier of your choice, don't get the tiles yourself.

This is in case there are disputes about the tile quality on delivery, your contractor will be the one that has to liase with the supplier, not you.

you can also check out my blog for some simple guideline on floors...

Floors...how to decide...

hi there

i dun agree that this only happens when one goes for contractors. I have shortlisted 2 contractors and they simply said that I can choose ANY tiles from ANY supplier that I want. And they will do the buying of tiles and laying of tiles.

I think that be it ID or contractor, you should always check the selection of tiles BEFORE signing up... in my case I actually selected all the tiles and calculated the cost with the contractor BEFORE I agree to start work on hacking.

Anyway BoonPin since you already signed up with your contractor... no choice lor. My personally recommendation is Soon Bee Huat at Toh Guan Road... cuz of the HUGE selection and mock ups. U can also go to White Horse at Sungei Kadut to take a look at the mock ups... those at Defu lane tend to be a bit smaller.. can go for Hup Kiong, Lian Seng Beng (or was it Heng) (cannot remember) etc.

All the best to your reno!