Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lynette991

Building Loft in Semi D

Hi 

I am contemplating the purchase of a semi-D, and the master bedroom (~20sqm) currently has high ceiling that spans 2 floors (i.e. 2nd and 3rd floor). I would like to build a loft (ideally around 10-12sqm to maximize the space) within the master bedroom. What is typically the price range for building lofts (I spoke briefly to a carpenter who mentioned it depends on whether I plan to use high beams etc)? I understand that given mine is >5sqm, i need to submit to URA for approval. 

Thank you!

Lynette

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You need to get someone assess how kind of reinforcements are needed, what kind of stairs and how much work do you need to spruce up the roof..

Very variable... 

20 hours ago, lynette991 said:

Hi 

I am contemplating the purchase of a semi-D, and the master bedroom (~20sqm) currently has high ceiling that spans 2 floors (i.e. 2nd and 3rd floor). I would like to build a loft (ideally around 10-12sqm to maximize the space) within the master bedroom. What is typically the price range for building lofts (I spoke briefly to a carpenter who mentioned it depends on whether I plan to use high beams etc)? I understand that given mine is >5sqm, i need to submit to URA for approval. 

Thank you!

Lynette

Hi!

Yes, lofts smaller than 5sqm can be classified as a "furniture deck" and don't need to submit to BCA/URA. However, for the size that you are talking about, building plan and structural submission to BCA will be required. Also note that once it is more than 10sqm, you will need to fully comply with the regulation for a proper staircases to the loft - access can no longer be through a "ladder' type of stairs. You (or your contractor) will need to engage a Professional engineer to endorse the building and structural plans and submit to BCA for approval.

Cost wise, we are looking at easily $40k and above (for that size we are looking at steel structure as the min requirements + staircase). Cost can go up depending on the type of floor finishes used (vinyl versus hardwood or tiles, type of railing - metal or glass), whether you need additional aircon, how extensive electrical work is.