Jump to content
Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


IceEyez last won the day on September 2 2020

IceEyez had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3 Neutral

About IceEyez

  • Rank
    Bronze Member

Previous Fields

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

189 profile views
  1. Typically can hear a slight hum - but really depends on how powerful the fan you install. The more powerful, the better it works, but noisier of course. The installer/contractor will be able to advise what speed/size fan to install for the area/volume you need you need to vent for the bathroom. Do consider whether you want to link the fan to switch on when the lights are on, or whether it is linked. Meaning lights on, fans also auto switch on. Convenience versus Flexibility.
  2. Hi all, Just to clarify, PEs (Meaning engineer QPs) are not allowed to submit for New Erection (Tear down completely and rebuild) or Recon category submissions for landed houses. PEs are only allowed to submit for A&A category works for landed. Architect QP will be required in your situation. For an inter terrace house, expect structural engineer fees to cost around $18-$25k (Assuming 3 stories, excluding basement). Structural will both design the structure and get approvals from BCA for the structural portions of the project. Architect fees around $60k and above depending on complexity of design envisioned, size of house required, how famous/skilled the architect is. There are super established famous architects that will easily charge $120k and above even for a small inter-terrace houses
  3. Actually the structural support system for metal roof required is slightly different from metal roof - got to do with how the direction the sheets are being layed versus individual clay tiles. So yes it is possible true that your roof will need to add new purlins. The contractor will need to check the existing structure first. Did a few projects recently - tile roof change to metal roof. Based on the existing timber roof structure, engineer had advised that we need to add some 100X50mmX20mm intermediate lipped channels to allow the actual laying of the metal roof sheets.
  4. Are you in a tree conservation area? If not, then almost certainly you can remove the trees. It is unlikely you have some super mature rare tree outside along your kerb that Nparks will insist on keeping. Instead, as part of their conditional to allow to remove, Nparks may request for you to plant back some tree at another location. along the kerb. Should be not an issue if not in any TCA, but of course as always, you need to get a QP to submit to Nparks/LTA/PUB for actual approval before doing any works.
  5. haha the owner is trying to upsell you his house and foundation 🤣. Foundation design is done based on the soil condition and has to go through BCA checking and approval. And BCA has a high safety factor for stuff, so its not anyhow up to the engineer to decide. Nobody will go spend unnecessary on piling if it is not required.
  6. It is rather strange that BCA concerns themselves with SCDF. BCA will ask for the fire safety certificate but they don't be directly commenting on fire code compliances. Also, since forever there was never any regulation saying that landed houses need fire sprinkler systems or external fire escapes. But anyway for any A&A work/Recon you just need to comply with the latest authority codes, which definitely do not need separate staircases for attics. The only code for landed house regarding staircases/means of escape for 4 or more storey houses with a basement, the basement will need to have a separate staircase that discharges to external area of the 1st storey. Cannot connect to the rest of the staircases.
  7. I think what yoongf is saying that that it still fulfills the semi-D guidelines but feels like a detached house:) I don't think he is advocating submitting as semi-D then secretly building a detached 😂 I've actually done a project that is a semi-D that is designed to feel like a detached house. Essentially we created a gigantic full length air-well along the entire party wall side where we placed the staircase and walkways. All rooms as a result have windows/doors on two sides to have cross ventilation and improve the amount of light entering. The construction cost of going through the architect route is not necessarily more expensive versus a builder. In fact there is a fair tender process for the selection of the eventual construction (4-5 tenderers are usually invited to bid for the project). The biggest advantage of going through the architect route when selecting contractors is that everybody is pricing for the same thing as the design is finalized, versus D&B contractors giving a quote at the start before there is a fixed design. Why some people think that D&B route is actually because the D&B designs tend to be more "basic", while architect design may be more fancy. Its like comparing a guy selling oranges with a guy selling apples. Not even the same item how to say which seller is cheaper ?😅
  8. Basically the more "work" you do, the closer it is to the rebuild price. The whole point of A&A or even Recon is to minimize the amount of changes (versus rebuilding) to be cost effective. But anyway the case you are describing - leveling almost everything but keep some columns will be considered as "Recon" and not "A&A". Guidelines for A&A is as per what yoongf has posted.
  9. Thankfully there are no such requirement for landed houses :) Single staircase will suffice for landed houses regardless of how many floors there are.
  10. Dote not that actually the only difference between "renovation" and "A&A" is: 1) URA Submission fees. For landed house if can do under lodgement will only be $742. 2) Time line - slightly longer time required to obtain approvals from URA. Even without A&A submission to URA and under "renovation", it is entirely possible that you still need to submit to BCA as long as it doesnt fall under the BCA exemption list. Eg. If you extend 2nd storey you need to to submit to BCA/obtain TOP anyway. Conversely, it is possible to have to submit to URA, but don't need to submit to BCA, engage PE, obtain TOP etc. (example - if you build a larger than 20sqm 1st storey extension constructed with light weight roof)
  11. Generally, a larger built-up/GFA, more rooms etc does command a higher price when selling, assuming all other conditions remain constant (Market sentiment, condition of house etc). Of course do consider how much any extension might cost to build and weight it against possible increase in value. And whether this increase in cost stretches your budget to such an extent that it makes you compromise on other aspects of the renovation (materials/finishes etc).
  12. It is rather rare for there to have any stains. Typically there are stains only if the water travels over a large distance of roof, or a ledge with insufficient gradient and accumulates a lot of dirt/dust before it hits the floor or wall. Otherwise typically with metal roofs or tiled roofs, there shouldn't be such an issue. Metal roofs typically require 3-4 degree gradients, while tiled roofs require 15-20 degrees (The modern flat clay tiles require less gradient versus the more traditional arched tiles). Even if you have a balcony, it doesn't necessary mean that the water will flow from the roof into it. It depends on how you design the roof profile. If staining the tiles is a concern, you can choose to slope the roof away from where the balconies are at. As for aesthetics of the roof finish, it is entirely possible to design the house such that the roof is not even visible in the first place ?, so doesnt matter whether it is metal or clay tiles. In this case, metal is cheaper, more durable and more light weight.
  13. Just to add on, landed houses whether in a designated landed housing zone or not, are not limited by plot ratio. They just need to purely follow envelope control guidelines. And yes single unit houses develop back into a single unit, even if there there is a change in typology (semi-D to detached, or terrace to semi-D for example), is exempted from Development Charge.
  14. You mentioned that you are looking at extending the 1st storey by 25sqm. As long as the increase in GFA is more than 20sqm, it will be considered as A&A works and you will need to submit to URA. BCA can be exempted if it has a lightweight roof, but for safety concerns yes there should definitely be a PE who designs the structure.
  15. Also do consider also whether you are planning for future electric car chargers. If you intend to have high capacity fast charging, it can easily take up 40A by itself per charger. How many fridges? Type of A/C? Ducted versus wall mounted units. Multiple induction hobs? A/C will be on 24/7? Multiple fridges? It all boils down to life style and habits, rather than simply floor area.