Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EkEk

Can Install Ceiling Fan On False Ceiling That Has No Bone Inside?

Hi everyone!:notti:

I have an ID and a contractor to do electricals. Both are at loggerheads with each other.

During the installations of false ceiling, ID asks contractor, before they install the false ceiling, need to put in extra metal support (bone)? Contractor says no need.

So I go buy the ceiling fan.

Now contractor is saying, no bone dangerous. Fan will drop. Blame him also no use cos the false ceiling already done. Cannot take down false ceiling and my lightings what.

So now my major headache is, is the ceiling fan secure when installed and supported by just the false ceiling strength?

THANK YOU for any advice. :dancingqueen:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, thanks for replying. I am just hoping to get more opinions. I know install on false ceiling only is dangerous so that means dont install? Then my fan buy liao wasted and living room will be without fan!

How? Agggghhhh!

Lets put it this way-- no one will give advice for fear of getting sued if something goes wrong.

Selling the fan is not a big deal, just post it in the Garage Sale section.

is the ceiling fan secure when installed and supported by just the false ceiling strength?

Definitely not! My potential ID told me that even to install chandelier on false ceiling, a wooden/metal support (bone) is needed so that the chandelier is secured to this bone and not the false ceiling.

So a ceiling fan with its constant turning motion will definitely not hold on just the false ceiling.

I would not want to be sitting below this ceiling fan.

Something must be wrong.

Firstly, even screwing on false ceiling frame is not enough. Standard installation is to mount the hook unto the concrete slab using expansion bolts. Even in those temp hawker centre, steel brackets/clamps are used to hold the ceiling fan to the beams.

Even if got false ceiling, the standard procedure is to mount the hook, then get a ceiling fan with a longer rod. Or if it's those hugger design with a mounting plate, it's to use a thick plywood as a mounting board above the false ceiling.

Ceiling fan is a life and death installation issue. Must not compromise.