Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MAS

Landed A&A - high ceiling conversion to Room

Hi,

I'm planning to get a semi-d. however, we didnt like the idea of having a high ceiling living room and find it a waste of space. WE have seen similar job done where owners cover the high ceiling and convert it to a room on the second floor. Would someone know an indicative cost for such a work. Kindly PM me if there are good recommendation for any contractors that youve used before. Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

How high is your floor to ceiling height now. And by ceiling I’m referring to the underside of the floor slab above. 

if you do not have at least 5m height, no way to build a room since you require at least 2.4m height clearance for all rooms. 

not too sure but definitely more than 5M. its the typcial landed high ceiling that extend to the 2nd floor (family area)

56 minutes ago, MAS said:

not too sure but definitely more than 5M. its the typcial landed high ceiling that extend to the 2nd floor (family area)

before envelope control was introduced in 2015, a landed house has to adhere to the maximum allowed floor to floor height requirements of 4.5m for the first storey, 3.6m for the second, 3.6m for the third and 5m for the attic.

so it is unlikely that the house you are viewing has a 1st storey height of more than 5m if you are looking at a 2.5 storey house.

if you are looking at a 3.5 storey house with a double volume ceiling, then the challenge is for the PE to look at the building plans and see whether it is possible to add a floor slab over the double volume ceiling to create another room or not.

1 hour ago, MAS said:

Thanks ..its a 3 storey semi-D.. and ive seen similar A&A in a unit few steps away...

3 storey then need PE to check whether can or not already.

reclaiming void doesnt sound like cheap affair... and i think may even require authority submission as well...

i'm not sure how large is your void, but my mezzanine of 300sq ft cost me close to 75K and this is part of new rebuild.... so i suppose yours should be a lot more?