Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sg_retroguy

Open Kitchen Concept

We just bought a EA flat in Tampines. The flat may be huge, but so is the kitchen. With the large kitchen wall, it cuts the flat into small sections: Living/Dinning, etc. As such, the obsticle to this nice big flat, is the kitchen wall.

We are seriously considering an OPEN KITCHEN concept; however, we also cook. We are considering the cooking stove section to be encased with glass on both sides (like how you see in some food courts) to trap the air upwards towards the hood.

Could you folks advise on the best hood that can suck up the oily fumes?

I was told Fujioh is the best - it is difficult to compare with the other brands. Would love the owners of Fujioh to advise, please.

Would the hood really suck up all the oil? Will the house be oily? Any advise from members that have open-kitchens?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

It would be a surprise if the kitchen wall could be hacked.

But if it can, then the glass partition is not a bad idea. It allows you to observe the kids from the kitchen, if you have kids. Your glass will become oily, but thankfully glass is easy to wipe.

Hoods in HDB flats do not really absorb that much oil. As there is no exhaust pipe, the filtered but still somewhat oily air will eventually dissipate to the rest of the kitchen.

I doubt Fujioh is the best brand. It's an average brand, not a market leader.

I have been living with an open concept kitchen for more than 10 yrs, and this is now my 2nd home.

The hood as a filter does not work at all. Reason is that fumes will travel where the wind blows. Food courts and commercial kitchens do not have windows. Air comes in from the door, and can only excape through the duct system. In household kitchen, if there is a window open, fumes will be blown all over.

Hoods that claim to really suck.. are also those that produce the most noise.

Those side glass partitions.. those stoves are really custom made for cooking very specific dishes. For my home, I can't imagine having to use only the front to access the cooking area. Also.. the glass gets dirty real fast!

I have been living with an open concept kitchen for more than 10 yrs, and this is now my 2nd home.

The hood as a filter does not work at all. Reason is that fumes will travel where the wind blows. Food courts and commercial kitchens do not have windows. Air comes in from the door, and can only excape through the duct system. In household kitchen, if there is a window open, fumes will be blown all over.

Hoods that claim to really suck.. are also those that produce the most noise.

Those side glass partitions.. those stoves are really custom made for cooking very specific dishes. For my home, I can't imagine having to use only the front to access the cooking area. Also.. the glass gets dirty real fast!

Yoongf,

If you have been living with an open-kitchen concept - how do you live with it?

What have you done to minimize the oily problems? What hood are you using?

Yes, I am able to hack my kitchen wall into a truly open space.

We eat patato big, use more oven and microwave. We are not that fussy with cleanliness. We open the whole house windows when we cook. We have wall fans to direct the fumes to a window. We ta bao quite often.

At the end of the day.. it's all in the mind.

bellari or rinnai?

Go for powerful suction - 900m3/hr or 1000m3/hr

heard that bellari demo very impressive... suck a piece of wood (dont know wat wood :dancingqueen: )

My new house will also gonna be open concept, havent seen the actual demo at bellari yet, coz i havent gotten my keys, so not Kan cheong lor.

Edited by reload72

hi retroguy,

just my 2 cents worth after living with an open kitchen for half a yr.. I cook quite often... My hood is just a normal Ellane one, nothing powerful. The irony is, because it's open, somehow the fumes dissipated so thin that we dun feel the effect... till now i have not cleaned my kitchen cabinets once coz they are not oily even. that said, we have shower curtains that we put up to cover the open areas when we do deep frying... otherwise, the normal stir fry etc, we just leave it open...

I would say it's a blessing to have a big kitchen if ur family do cook, go for open, go for island and go for a good hood if u r worried... Can consider hacking kitchen wall, then combine with the dining area, and then glass up the entire area... that's my dream kitchen! :notti: