Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sunny Porch75

Rebuilding a 5 Level Semi-D

2 hours ago, yoongf said:

URA envelope and attic guidelines require 1 end to be a 45 degree slope towards the spring line.

If this area was designed as another roof terr, the usable space is maximised. The middle portion between the front and back roof terr might as well do a rc flat roof since the resultant area may be too small to justify getting a steel roof subcon in, in terms of shop drawings n mobilisation time. After CSC, add a steel ladder to access this upper roof terr. Can even put veggie farm up there. 

there is no longer a need for 45 degree slope for attic. what is needed is that the attic structure falls within the 45 degrees spring line which demarcates the building envelope. I've seen quite a few new houses built with no 45 degrees slope for the attic at all and done with steel roof structures.

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

mine has no 45-degree slope. yes, its just a virtual 45 degree that u have to adhere to, which means at the edge of the attic closer to the balcony, there is quite a big height drop

1 hour ago, prodriver6 said:

mine has no 45-degree slope. yes, its just a virtual 45 degree that u have to adhere to, which means at the edge of the attic closer to the balcony, there is quite a big height drop

I did a lower roof over the balcony within the 45 degrees envelope so I can extend my attic room outwards to maximize the floor area. 

2 hours ago, prodriver6 said:

bro, keen to understand what you mean... can sketch out on this picture?

https://ibb.co/QPC7fBv

Mine is similar to your attic design. Just that my lower roof also has a roof eave which extends further out (yellow highlight)

E0A64A17-EBFA-4CEB-A411-D86C18A4CAAB.jpeg

On 10/3/2021 at 7:28 PM, snoozee said:

I beg to differ. 
my house is built with flat metal roof with a slight incline to provide water flow. I still get more than 3m floor to ceiling for almost my entire attic storey. 
So it doesn’t mean that only RC roof can maximize the GFA. It’s all about how the attic storey is designed to be within the building envelope to maximize the GFA. 

for houses which are specified with metal roof, of cos all the insulation materials would have to be part of the specifications. It doesn’t make sense to built a metal roof with just the steel sheets for a house. 

Haha, well, this shows that whether you opt for metal roofing or R.C. flat roof, you are still deploying an almost flat angle to balance the need for maximum number of stories and also maximum floor to floor height.😉

It seems that you are a very savvy home owner and blessed to be working with a good builder & architect. Congrats! 💪 However, others may not so experienced in home-building and when they deal directly with a builder without guidance, sometimes they have regrets. 🤣 These are real-life cases of unsatisfactory design and with a bit of sharing we can avoid it.

1. Many inter-terrace and corner terraces tend to become dark and stuffy at the middle of the building, so the traditional solution is to open an airwell to bring in light & air, for example in our traditional Chinese shophouses. But in our modern times, this concept seems to be forgotten or omitted to save cost. Often I see skylight is installed without any window openings nearby. The powerful tropical sun shoots into the centre of the house turning it into a sauna. The heat has no way to escape. So my suggestion is always consider a jack roof or nearby windows when you add a skylight, especially if all sides will be facing a solid wall or bedroom with closed doors.

2. True story: an elderly auntie of mine did A&A to her tile pitched roof for a bargain price. Then later complained that her attic was very hot and stuffy. When I visited, I realized that the builder did not install insulation at all. She wasn't even aware that roofs need insulation...😨 So do be careful. 😂

Hope this info helps! 

8 hours ago, Sunny Porch75 said:

Haha, well, this shows that whether you opt for metal roofing or R.C. flat roof, you are still deploying an almost flat angle to balance the need for maximum number of stories and also maximum floor to floor height.😉

It seems that you are a very savvy home owner and blessed to be working with a good builder & architect. Congrats! 💪 However, others may not so experienced in home-building and when they deal directly with a builder without guidance, sometimes they have regrets. 🤣 These are real-life cases of unsatisfactory design and with a bit of sharing we can avoid it.

1. Many inter-terrace and corner terraces tend to become dark and stuffy at the middle of the building, so the traditional solution is to open an airwell to bring in light & air, for example in our traditional Chinese shophouses. But in our modern times, this concept seems to be forgotten or omitted to save cost. Often I see skylight is installed without any window openings nearby. The powerful tropical sun shoots into the centre of the house turning it into a sauna. The heat has no way to escape. So my suggestion is always consider a jack roof or nearby windows when you add a skylight, especially if all sides will be facing a solid wall or bedroom with closed doors.

2. True story: an elderly auntie of mine did A&A to her tile pitched roof for a bargain price. Then later complained that her attic was very hot and stuffy. When I visited, I realized that the builder did not install insulation at all. She wasn't even aware that roofs need insulation...😨 So do be careful. 😂

Hope this info helps! 

Yes, my point is just to clear your earlier post that one must always do a RC roof in order to achieve the maximum floor to roof height and maximize the GFA.