Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi Guys

If the contractor only got reg no. only.

And behind the card

Associated With

2 companies: with...2 hdb licence renovation/interior design.

And another 3 companies name without any hdb licence printed.

Is it ok???

Please advise.

The current contractor I amtalking with just have reg no.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Guys

If the contractor only got reg no. only.

And behind the card

Associated With

2 companies: with...2 hdb licence renovation/interior design.

And another 3 companies name without any hdb licence printed.

Is it ok???

Please advise.

The current contractor I amtalking with just have reg no.

hi h4happy,

how about approaching other contractors/ID for quotation??

i know both zhisheng and homemakers are stationed at the your new estate, but it would be helpful to you to explore other contractors/ID out there... there are many of them for u to choose...

be very firm with the contractor/ID that you will sign the contract only after you have collected keys or at a time you are comfortable with... spell this out clearly in your first meeting with them...

use a filtering system to filter out contractors/ID who are insincere or have poor attitude... usually the first quotation would not be exactly what u want, so amendments are necessary... sometime, more than 5 rounds of quotation are needed to reach the final quotation... at each round, some contractor/ID will fall out of the race, leaving only the more sincere contractor/ID... this way can filter out contractors/IDs who are just trying to pull a fast one on you... if the contractor doesn't even have the patience to amend quotations for you, the contractor could hardly be expected to have good attitude to serve you after u have signed the contract!:):curse:

of cos, this way will not guarantee that u get the perfect contractor/ID, but it can at least filter out some bad ones...

by getting more quotation, u can also get a better feel of the market rates of the materials... i have got quotes ranging from $2800 to $3800 for the same brand and quality of laminate flooring for the same floor area... i also got quote direct from the laminate flooring supplier and it is even lower than $2800... so i know immediately that the ID who quoted me $3800 is trying to pull a fast one on me... :P:fire::fire:

the renovation business is a buyer-beware market... the more u know, the better u can protect yourself from being over-charged and under-served...

happy contractor/ID shopping!:dunno::curse:

Edited by redbottle

Hi RED

Thanks for your info.

So far 3 id has quote me.

And I can say HomeMakers price is attractive.

But, but only cancel out all teh design/features wall, false & lbox lights...

I dont need those.

But then when comparing against 4 & 5 room, aiyo, I think they do it in haste. Many things never type in.

So, I might call them tomorrow and send the quotation back to them with the items I dont want.

I am sure their face will drop.

Why?

Cos' no design/features involved!:)!

What I want is move in condition only.

Only then I can see their attitude!

Hi RED

Thanks for your info.

So far 3 id has quote me.

And I can say HomeMakers price is attractive.

But, but only cancel out all teh design/features wall, false & lbox lights...

I dont need those.

But then when comparing against 4 & 5 room, aiyo, I think they do it in haste. Many things never type in.

So, I might call them tomorrow and send the quotation back to them with the items I dont want.

I am sure their face will drop.

Why?

Cos' no design/features involved!:bangwall:!

What I want is move in condition only.

Only then I can see their attitude!

Last time when I source for quotes from them, they are also the cheapest. I mean really cheap cheap. So fishy until I realize, many things not included. Didn't use them bcos dun have much confidence. I prefer a reno contractor who is more open and detail about their pricing. Have to be more realistic with the budget and not fish ppl with initial cheap quote and later when everything finalise... the quote makes you faintz!

Hi LIN

Thanks.

Yes homemaker is indeed the cheapest I find comparing to others.

But then when I look closely the item, most of them has missing link.

Such as no measurement, etc....

Especially same price but different feet!:bangwall:

Last time when I source for quotes from them, they are also the cheapest. I mean really cheap cheap. So fishy until I realize, many things not included. Didn't use them bcos dun have much confidence. I prefer a reno contractor who is more open and detail about their pricing. Have to be more realistic with the budget and not fish ppl with initial cheap quote and later when everything finalise... the quote makes you faintz!

Hi Lin,

From 1st Aug until now, about 2 week plus, I wil talk to the ids, some give quotation, some did not reply back, some give quotation too general....need to do comparision.

Going to meet another 4 id this weekend.

Yesterday rec' a call from them, he wanted me to go down and look at the materials and granites tiles.

I told him I will fax his quotation with the items I want. He seem to know and told me the design and material use is best one.

This evening, I am going to send email to him to cancel off his services.

I am now making a first rejection to the contractors.

More to come.....so that I can zoom down the shortlisted ids/contractors.

I think homemakers is my first contractors to be drop off from my list.

Reason is they emphasie on designs (which I am not fancy of), and quotation is roughy drafted out. And no measurement. Many loopholes. By talking with them and my neighours makes me feel that they are trying to close the deal asap.

So, I am going to drop them off my list.

Hi Lin,

From 1st Aug until now, about 2 week plus, I wil talk to the ids, some give quotation, some did not reply back, some give quotation too general....need to do comparision.

Going to meet another 4 id this weekend.

Yesterday rec' a call from them, he wanted me to go down and look at the materials and granites tiles.

I told him I will fax his quotation with the items I want. He seem to know and told me the design and material use is best one.

This evening, I am going to send email to him to cancel off his services.

I am now making a first rejection to the contractors.

More to come.....so that I can zoom down the shortlisted ids/contractors.

I think homemakers is my first contractors to be drop off from my list.

Reason is they emphasie on designs (which I am not fancy of), and quotation is roughy drafted out. And no measurement. Many loopholes. By talking with them and my neighours makes me feel that they are trying to close the deal asap.

So, I am going to drop them off my list.

Hi.You seemed pretty stressed up with the search for a suitable ID/contractor to your new home.

Anw, maybe you would like to start off with going to a place like IMM since that is the place where most IDs are situated.

From there, you can 'cover' more IDs.

Tell them your expectations and let them get back to you.

As what REDBOTTLE said, then you can filter out the sincere for the non-sincere ones.

Pardon me for saying this. But i think the reason why Homemaker is doing all these fanciful stuff even after you repeatedly say that you want it as per move-in condition is just so that they can use ur unit as a showroom.

that's usually what these hard-core contractors do to poach more customers.

good luck for your search for a good ID :thumbs up:

Hi.You seemed pretty stressed up with the search for a suitable ID/contractor to your new home.

Anw, maybe you would like to start off with going to a place like IMM since that is the place where most IDs are situated.

From there, you can 'cover' more IDs.

Tell them your expectations and let them get back to you.

As what REDBOTTLE said, then you can filter out the sincere for the non-sincere ones.

Pardon me for saying this. But i think the reason why Homemaker is doing all these fanciful stuff even after you repeatedly say that you want it as per move-in condition is just so that they can use ur unit as a showroom.

that's usually what these hard-core contractors do to poach more customers.

good luck for your search for a good ID !!

Hi FEL

Thanks for your encouragement and moral support.

Yes, I feel stress indeed.

Especially when I talked to my neighbour (already signed!!).

Pay 1st installment, and want to cancel 1 items from the list (cost about $1,400++).

But was told that it is the package, and can return only $1k.

Means you have to pay them some sort of penalty of $400+++.

My neighbour say no choice liao, what to do, already sign and ask them to do.

Yes, for showroom and that is why lots of designs and features to let new customers see.

But then, if everyday facing the design/features, I will feel bored. hehehehe...

Anyway I am going to draft out the letter and email to them saying I am dont want their service anymore.

That will relieve my stress.

Really I feel very stress when talking to them.

Send!

First contractors strike off on my list.

Move on....

hi happy dun be stress, look more then u can decide. I look for more than 10 ids and contractors b4 decide on which one to choose.

hi happy dun be stress, look more then u can decide. I look for more than 10 ids and contractors b4 decide on which one to choose.

Hi ALI50N

Thanks.

Last night, just compile the total cost of each contractors they quote to me.

Today, going to read thru each carefully (those shortlisted) and later call them for the things I want and for second quotation.

hee h4happy, its always not easy in the searching path... i also got homemakers quote, but due to time not rite, alsways hard to meet them on my schedule, :yamseng: yup their price is quite low, quote is the first one get get with more details but still got things not listed, due to time constraint, did not meet them again to discuss..

anyway already found the one to do my flat :rofl:

jus start reno :rofl:

hee h4happy, its always not easy in the searching path... i also got homemakers quote, but due to time not rite, alsways hard to meet them on my schedule, :P yup their price is quite low, quote is the first one get get with more details but still got things not listed, due to time constraint, did not meet them again to discuss..

anyway already found the one to do my flat :P

jus start reno :P

Hi SUMMER

Thks for sharing the info.

I have already email to them for cancellation.

Until now, they did not call me.

heheh...

Anyway, from what I hear from my neighbours, it ie terrible.

Have not sign, everything they say can, can strike off the item if you dont want.

After sign the contract, all excuses come out, eg) it is a package lah, can only refund part of the cost per item lah...

Give up on them.

hmm... if you are searching for ID, i will post this again...

I posted it before, for your benefit... here it is again :P

some of the comments and feel when we were searching for our ID :P

Recommended

Baroque - Robin

Met with Robin during the HDB ID tour, where we pay a re-fundable $10 deposite to visit some of the homes they did. One of the first few IDs we met. Robin was really friendly and practical when it comes to suggesting features for the various parts of the house. Armed with lots of suggestions and ideas, we went down to his shop front to view some more material samples. The quotation that Robin was really competitive. Sitting down with my FW, being fussy, we were not really satisfied with some of the carpentry works done in the flats that he did, so we decided not to engage him. I must stress this, the workmanship of his carpentry may not agree with our standards, but it does not mean it will not meet yours... so do give him a chance.

Ciseern - Jason

Met him at the expo. After listening to our requests on the home and studying our floor layout, he was able to give some really practical suggestions on the space planning on the spot. Straight-forward and polite chap. Very fast in his response. Gave us the quotation within the Expo period.

Concept Living - Loke

This guy is a sale person, and a very nice one at that. He was extremely polite, and very patient when it comes to explaining what to us what we listed for him, what is feasible, what is not, and what is too expensive to do...etc etc.

He is also full of good suggestions. He also gave alot of useful tips on how to go about looking for faults when you get your keys, what to pay attention to when doing the trunking of your aircon, and also what to find out from the ID when we are going to engage him/her. Tips that are particularly helpful for people who just got their keys and am overwhelmed by the choices of IDs out there.

He introduced a designer to us, and she is suppose to be the best in the company. She is very rigid in her concepts, and is not very open to suggestions and alternatives. We were not comfortable with her, so we decided not to engage them.

Future Homes - Kym

Her ideas are very practical, and the show flats she showed us, the designs were quite nice. Price wise she was quite reasonable as well. One of the few which we shortlisted. Between her and the current contractor we engaged, we were more comfortable with the contractor we currently engaged.

Can't explain why also, guess you have to be in our shoes to know that feeling. The one where somehow you feel more comfortable in the presence of one person comparing to another.

G-plan - Kevin

Very patient... a bit on the beng side when he talks, but is very jovial, and honest with you. will tell you upfront whether it is feasible to do a certain feature or not. Lots of good suggestions, as to how to get your house to be show-room beautiful, as the same time livable. Busy man, must make sure you make appointment before meeting up with him, cos he makes it a priority to meet his appointments compared to walk-ins. Workmanship is pretty ok. Depending on the design, Kevin is full of enthusiasm when it come to giving him a freehand in the designing of your dream home. All the owners that allowed us to view their flats under Kevin's care is full of praise for the fella. Initiative, willing to compromise, quick to rectify faults... the list is long.

I-Bridge - William

This guy is also very witty and friendly. He has a few suggestions which were really refreshing, which we ultimatly revised some of our original plans due to that. Knowledge wise, he is good, able to clear most of our doubts when it comes to material difference. But his quotation could not meet our budget.

Im@g3 Cr3@tiv3 - Howard

He one that left quite a lasting impression on the both of us. He went out of his way to try and meet our requests for the design to be implemented. Does research for the designs and trys to meet our one-of-a-kind feature wall by using various mechanisms for the construction. Even took pictures of some of his home to illustrate to us what he is trying to illustrate during our conversations with him. The few home we viewed were okay, in terms of workmanship. If only he didn't work for Image, we would have considered him to be our ID.

Inn-place - Julian

This company's show room is impressive. Julian was also very knowledgable, poring out numerous design alternatives to the ones we proposed that he explained are not really feasible. Was too busy to go down to the shop front to retrieve our quotations, so could not comment on the price.

InnerView Design - Andy

He is very keen to get our project, so within the week, he drew up all the designs and fixtures that were in the quotation. Very friendly, and chatty. Lost of stories to tell, regarding the projects he has done and the people he had to deal with.

But his quotes were still a little over our budget, so we could not engage him.

Ho Bee - Malcome

First quotation was from him when he was still with Ho Bee. Pricing was reasonable. Friendly and open to suggestions. He also did one of my varsity mates home, and my friend was full of praise for him as well.

But he moved on to Homemaker Interiors. His team of carpenters and tilers followed him, thus the follow-up was with Homemaker Interiors.

Lines - Derrick Wee (formerly from Fuse Concept)

This is by far the most hardworking ID we have met. We also met him at the expo, and passed him our requirements and layout for him to give a quotation. He not only quoted us for the renovation works, he even came up with presentation slides and material choices for the designs he have in mind for us.

We were impressed! His workmanship for carpentary is good, and the design were very unique. Many beautiful designs were suggested by him. Most of the projects under his care are from condos and private apartments.

***** - Ho Yee

First impression... he seems very young for a designer, and we were right. But he is keen to impress us. Full presentation of design and materials. Lots of fresh ideas, and vibrant designs. We were looking for something more to minimalist concepts, where things are easy to maintain, and not overly cluttered, so we proposed our alternatives. Asked alot of questions regarding space layouts and material usage... he seems stumped by a lot of our queries.

I guess it is his lack of experience that lost our confidence in him. But we still recommend him for his enthusiam and hardwork in putting up a really nice presentation of his designs for our home.

Spacious Planners -

This guy is passionate about his work. He stresses more on design concepts and clean lines than any other thing else. Well, going for the clean and easy to maintain look, we decided to let him quote for us. Sitting down with him, he will show us photos after photos of the beautiful designs he did for his clients, and the imaculate efforts he took to ensure that the different rooms translate seamlessly from one to the other.

He was not one of the first few IDs we met, so I was scheming thru his quotations very quickly to see if there was anything lacking, or if there are any thing that is to be needed. Due to that, he tot I was losing interest in his pep talk, he was jittery throughout. *Grinz* Well, according to FW, I was the one making the ants in his pants.... hah ha ha... I was so sorry... didn't mean to do it. Recommending him cos of his ***** ideas.

Quotation is a little pricey though, but with budget, his designs would look really good in the home.

U-home - Mavis

also a very patient girl when dealing with our one-of-a-kind suggestion for the feature wall. She is kind enuff to do a little research for the design we are seeking, and provided a reasonable alternative as the market does not have ready fit products to meet our requests. Lots of hand-drawn drawings to illustrate to you what she is talking about, though you cannot bring the pics home, you leave with a pretty good idea of what she has in mind when she is explaining her design and concepts to you. Workmanship of the flats she showed us was also pretty good.

Hi OON,

Thanks.

I am getting my keys around oct 07.

Just started to hunt for contractors.

I want to keep my new house simple without any feature walls, l box, etc...

I thought asking for quotation is not finalised.

But since yesterday incident, I really feel stress out by the contractors as he just want to close the case.

I am not rich and I have budget limit.

But then he told me my new house will let pple see as my house will be design (not sure what he means).

But then I dont need such design as carpentry works are very expensive and of course it looks pretty in the beginning. But then when everyday see the design, one will feel bored.

That is why I dont want any feature design wall or false wall.

What I want is floor tiles, kitchen cabinet, wardrobe, or maybe very simple feature wall to cover the storage room. That's all.

Even I also considering the cancel off the design shoe rack in front of the main door as it cost about $1,600+++:rolleyes:!

Best is not to decide when under pressure.

Decisions made under pressure often leads to regrets.

There was one ID whom I'm still not satisfied with the quote and service yet wants to bring me go select tiles! Immediately I told him NO. Even if he's gonna give me a **** good deal, I want to have some time to think over, research on his company as well as discuss with my other half.

Nv nv decide under pressure!