Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shmj

Training Bonds

Hi,

Our company used to pay 100% of the course fee (if its related to the

job scope) without any bond. However, with the new management now on board, they are saying that there should be a bond for the courses.

I'm proposing a minimum of 6 months bond for every $5K. (regardless

whether it's a seminar, workshop or diploma/degree courses). The staff will have to serve the bond after the completion of the last

examination paper.

Can you share what is your company practice ?

We are concerned that some staff may play "punk" & slack in their work, etc just to get the co. to terminate them so that they will not have to re-pay back the amount/ bond.

Many thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Put a clause that if the company decides to terminate the employee due to unsatisfactory work attitude / performance, the employee is also liable to pay the bond.

Explain the rationale to the employees and they should understand that.

Put a clause that if the company decides to terminate the employee due to unsatisfactory work attitude / performance, the employee is also liable to pay the bond.

Explain the rationale to the employees and they should understand that.

Thanks Phantom!

Hi,

job scope) without any bond. However, with the new management now on board, they are saying that there should be a bond for the courses.

whether it's a seminar, workshop or diploma/degree courses). The staff will have to serve the bond after the completion of the last

examination paper.

We are concerned that some staff may play "punk" & slack in their work, etc just to get the co. to terminate them so that they will not have to re-pay back the amount/ bond.

Many thanks!

My company practises what your company used to practise... :bangwall:

Hi,

examination paper.

Many thanks!

From an organizational development perspective, bonds are outdated and not necessarily the best way to retain employees, particularly the talented ones. If the company chooses to send an employee for a course, seminar etc then the company should foot the bill without any strings attached. At the end of the day in a tight labour market, many competitors will be willing to buy out the bond of someone they wish to hire or poach. What is 5K to a corporation?

You could put in a caveat as what Phantom suggests but at the end of the day, talented employees have many choices available.

minimum of 6 months bond for every $5K

so.. if the course fee SGD10K, need to bond 1 yrs

the course is company sent, or own self attend?

so.. if the course fee SGD10K, need to bond 1 yrs

the course is company sent, or own self attend?

the course is 10k+++ , own self attend.

saying bond for 2yrs after completion but if break bond , i only have to pay back wat company had pay for my course.

oh ya, if failed the course i have to pay myself. isit normal?

the course is 10k+++ , own self attend.

saying bond for 2yrs after completion but if break bond , i only have to pay back wat company had pay for my course.

oh ya, if failed the course i have to pay myself. isit normal?

This is ridiculous. The payment if there is liquidated damages should be pro-rated. Bond should only be effective after or on the last day of exam completion.

Eg, if you resign 1 yr into a 2 yr bond, you liability should be for 1 year + any compunded interest (if applicable).

This is ridiculous. The payment if there is liquidated damages should be pro-rated. Bond should only be effective after or on the last day of exam completion.

Eg, if you resign 1 yr into a 2 yr bond, you liability should be for 1 year + any compunded interest (if applicable).

huh..

for example i completed the full course at 31 dec 2008. my bond for 2yrs that will be from 1 jan 2009 to 31 Dec 2010.

if i break the bond i will have to pay the full course fee that the company has paid for me.

my the other concern is , when i fail any course i have to pay back the company.

What if the course is claimable against SDF?

Can or Should the company claim full amount from Staff even if it claims under SDF?

or should the company bond the staff if the course is paid by the company then claimed against SDF?

What if the course is claimable against SDF?

Can or Should the company claim full amount from Staff even if it claims under SDF?

or should the company bond the staff if the course is paid by the company then claimed against SDF?

the course cannot be claim under SDF.

i have calculated, total fee til completion SGD10+++ .

huh..

for example i completed the full course at 31 dec 2008. my bond for 2yrs that will be from 1 jan 2009 to 31 Dec 2010.

if i break the bond i will have to pay the full course fee that the company has paid for me.

my the other concern is , when i fail any course i have to pay back the company.

Quite standard to pay back if you fail. Don't even think of failing, you shld be alright.

The bond is generally pro-rated. Cannot be flat fee ... so if you resign after 23 mths, then still may 10K? Looks like an unfair contract to me. Think before signing / committing.

the course cannot be claim under SDF.

i have calculated, total fee til completion SGD10+++ .

terms doesn't seem so right if u ask me.