Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

Top Ten Myths In Hifi.

Stumbled upon this and though it can be of use to some. Interesting reading and for the most part I see no issues with the conclusions the writer makes.

Article here (pdf).

Enjoy

RB

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Stumbled upon this and though it can be of use to some. Interesting reading and for the most part I see no issues with the conclusions the writer makes.

Article here (pdf).

Enjoy

RB

My favourite is that all time chestnut on cables...pure voodoo :D

when it comes to cable, the AC power cord is the most important one !

you get the AC power cord right, you're about there !

You are doing these replies as a joke aren't you. Thanks you put a big smile on my face.

Best "he really didn't get the point" I have seen in a long time.

RB

You are doing these replies as a joke aren't you. Thanks you put a big smile on my face.

RB

what about the cables from the utility? are they 5N PC-OFC or pure silver? :D

RB

you mean to tell me you don't know the AC power cord REALLY is the MOST important cable in the system ???!!!

brudder, go and listen..................even different brands sounds totally different................

a good power cord can save a mediocre system......................

IF YOU'RE NOT AWARE THAT AC POWER CORDS MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.....................

THEN YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIFI.......................

Article here (pdf).

Enjoy

RB

Very nice, thanks! Besides the one on cables, I must say that electronics burn in and biwiring has always stumped me as well - couldn't figure out why it would make a difference from a physics stand point.

I supposed as a newbie, I haven't been exposed to some of the other voodoo (poison) yet :D (e.g. power cord, CD treatment).

Was quite intrigued about the tube amp bit though. I suppose the colouration or distortion from tube amp is what appeals to tube amp lovers? Have not had a chance to do an A/B with tube vs solid state amp to figure this one out.

you mean to tell me you don't know the AC power cord REALLY is the MOST important cable in the system ???!!!

brudder, go and listen..................even different brands sounds totally different................

a good power cord can save a mediocre system......................

IF YOU'RE NOT AWARE THAT AC POWER CORDS MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.....................

THEN YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIFI.......................

You clearly either did not read the article or failed to understand what the author was saying. Do you live in a place where the electrical supply is so poor and the equipment you use is so badly designed that the power stage cannot normalise the input power. As the article states, 'if you have enough for a special magic high priced power cord then you are better off spending it on the amplifier'. What about equipment that has hard wired power cords ?. What equipment do you have out of interest ?

You don't by any chance sell expensive powercords, American speaker cables and non British HiFi cos you really are sounding like a salesman for these products or have you just spent a large amount of money on them and feel you need to justify your position. You put points across which in themselves are not too bad as everyone is entitled to their opinion but you have failed to provide any backup evidence to any of your points so it just looks like the ravings of a confused, to put it politely 'self appointed internet expert'. I would be happy to read any studies by recognised experts which backup your points and they may even change my views on the subject but I have not found any yet.

RB

what about the cables from the utility? are they 5N PC-OFC or pure silver? :D

Well going by his logic, the TV will produce a much brighter and clearer picture with the high priced power cords and the microware will cook with a more even texture. Clearly if we fit high priced power cords to all our electrical appliances then we will be able to live in utopia..... ;) (I suspect he sells high priced power cords so if we did this at least one person would be living the high life :) )

RB

Very nice, thanks! Besides the one on cables, I must say that electronics burn in and biwiring has always stumped me as well - couldn't figure out why it would make a difference from a physics stand point.

I supposed as a newbie, I haven't been exposed to some of the other voodoo (poison) yet :D (e.g. power cord, CD treatment).

Back in the distance past I used to bi-wire my speakers. Did it make nay difference..... nothing I could hear but since I had the extra cable I left it as it was. I also had a green CD pen :unsure: and some a handful of my CDs have a green edge to them. The theory was that it helped to focus the laser so it could read more accurately so less error correction required rather than it would improve the data stored. Did it help :dunno: ..... not that I could tell but at only a few pounds what's to loose.

Was quite intrigued about the tube amp bit though. I suppose the colouration or distortion from tube amp is what appeals to tube amp lovers? Have not had a chance to do an A/B with tube vs solid state amp to figure this one out.

Yep I and many others would have to agree on that. It is not that one sound is better than the other, it is more that one sound is preferred by some than the other. For audiophile listening you are going for the most accurate representation of the source material. For normal / enthusiast listening you are going for the most pleasant personal experience from the recording.

I personally prefer to be an enthusiast as I listen for my pleasure rather than to be told what something should sound like.

RB

Well going by his logic, the TV will produce a much brighter and clearer picture with the high priced power cords and the microware will cook with a more even texture. Clearly if we fit high priced power cords to all our electrical appliances then we will be able to live in utopia..... ;) (I suspect he sells high priced power cords so if we did this at least one person would be living the high life :) )

RB

indeed that's the case !

TV picture did improve.......................

i even ''demo'' for a skeptical relative of mine by using a good AC power cord for our steamboat..................it got hotter much faster using the free ac cord !

Back in the distance past I used to bi-wire my speakers. Did it make nay difference..... nothing I could hear but since I had the extra cable I left it as it was. I also had a green CD pen :unsure: and some a handful of my CDs have a green edge to them. The theory was that it helped to focus the laser so it could read more accurately so less error correction required rather than it would improve the data stored. Did it help :dunno: ..... not that I could tell but at only a few pounds what's to loose.

Yep I and many others would have to agree on that. It is not that one sound is better than the other, it is more that one sound is preferred by some than the other. For audiophile listening you are going for the most accurate representation of the source material. For normal / enthusiast listening you are going for the most pleasant personal experience from the recording.

I personally prefer to be an enthusiast as I listen for my pleasure rather than to be told what something should sound like.

RB

if you biwire your speakers (assuming they're not crap) and you can't hear any difference...............either you're not a good listener or you need to see an ear doctor..................

same thing for the green marker on CDs..................the treble will normally be more delicate and less glaring.

whe nyou biwire speakers, the sound will open up with a wider and more open soundstage.

### by the way, TUBE amps are waaaaay ahead of solid-state amps when it comes to midrange and treble............TUBE sounds more ''alive'' and 3-D..................

go hear a Single-Ended-Triode Tube amp.....................the midrange will knock out ANY solid-state amp............

forget those lousy China-made tube amps...................some sound worse than transistor amps.

indeed that's the case !

TV picture did improve.......................

i even ''demo'' for a skeptical relative of mine by using a good AC power cord for our steamboat..................it got hotter much faster using the free ac cord !

ok, so far I count 4 myths on this and the spec me a system thread.

1. Electrical conditioning - "AC power cord REALLY is the MOST important cable in the system".

2. Bi-wiring - "If you biwire your speakers (assuming they're not crap) and you can't hear any difference...............either you're not a good listener or you need to see an ear doctor.................."

3. Golden ear - "If you biwire your speakers (assuming they're not crap) and you can't hear any difference...............either you're not a good listener or you need to see an ear doctor.................."

4. The cable lie - "just put the money into better american cables. "

I am assuming you are not getting bi-amp and bi-wire mixed up although it seems like you may be.

Which one, do you believe, takes two cables from a single amp output ?

Need more time on this but have a meeting now. Back later.

RB