Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RimBlock

Top Ten Myths In Hifi.

if you biwire your speakers (assuming they're not crap) and you can't hear any difference...............either you're not a good listener or you need to see an ear doctor..................

I will ignore this on the assumption you have got bi-wire and bi-amp mixed up.

same thing for the green marker on CDs..................the treble will normally be more delicate and less glaring.

So you are saying that putting a line of green marker around a CD will not just make the reading of the CD more accurate but it will even improve the original data on the disc but only on the treble. The green pen makes the laser somehow read the digital 1s and 0s laid on the disc, assess which ones need improving for better treble, amend them and then pass the amended digital information to the CD player. I suspect you are also very confused as to how CDs and the reading mechanisms of CD players work. The information on a CD is digital and the reading process has only two states, read or fail. The read data has only two states, 1 or 0. A green pen has not been proven to affect the second state that I am aware of.

Snopes article on the subject (yep the urban legend site) here.

Another article on Toms Hardware tracking the history back to the first mention recorded being confirmed as a hoax here.

The other obvious question would be, why are audiophile recordings not edged in green as standard. If it has such a big quality difference and is so cheap to implement then why do all the CDs currently sold not have a green edge ?

whe nyou biwire speakers, the sound will open up with a wider and more open soundstage.

Again, I will jump this one as I believe you have the terms mixed up (hopefully).

### by the way, TUBE amps are waaaaay ahead of solid-state amps when it comes to midrange and treble............TUBE sounds more ''alive'' and 3-D..................

go hear a Single-Ended-Triode Tube amp.....................the midrange will knock out ANY solid-state amp............

forget those lousy China-made tube amps...................some sound worse than transistor amps.

So you prefer the warm sound of tube amps then clearly.

RB

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
indeed that's the case !

TV picture did improve.......................

i even ''demo'' for a skeptical relative of mine by using a good AC power cord for our steamboat..................it got hotter much faster using the free ac cord !

Again, neubie hit the nail on the head...

what about the cables from the utility? are they 5N PC-OFC or pure silver? biggrin.gif

Any old rubbish cable from the power station to your door.... any old power cable to your wall socket..... standard power cable to your amp... rubbish sound...

Any old rubbish cable from the power station to your door.... any old power cable to your wall socket..... expensive magic power cable to your amp... great improvement...

DoubleFacepalmDeMo.jpg

I love this picture and it just seemed so appropriate.

Look, I have no doubt you believe what you are saying but you cannot backup anything you state and there are numerous recognised experts and users who disagree with you. If you think that drawing a green line around your CDs makes them sound better then good for you. Same for the other things you state as true which we have evidence of not being so. You are not hurting anyone else so enjoy the benefits of your green marker or expansive speaker cables and power cords. My only issue is when you try to convince others that these myths are true and the others take what you say as fact. There is no reason others cannot try what you suggest but any improvements according to scientific testing indicate that the difference is with the users own perception rather than an actual change.

RB

I will ignore this on the assumption you have got bi-wire and bi-amp mixed up.

So you are saying that putting a line of green marker around a CD will not just make the reading of the CD more accurate but it will even improve the original data on the disc but only on the treble. The green pen makes the laser somehow read the digital 1s and 0s laid on the disc, assess which ones need improving for better treble, amend them and then pass the amended digital information to the CD player. I suspect you are also very confused as to how CDs and the reading mechanisms of CD players work. The information on a CD is digital and the reading process has only two states, read or fail. The read data has only two states, 1 or 0. A green pen has not been proven to affect the second state that I am aware of.

Snopes article on the subject (yep the urban legend site) here.

Another article on Toms Hardware tracking the history back to the first mention recorded being confirmed as a hoax here.

The other obvious question would be, why are audiophile recordings not edged in green as standard. If it has such a big quality difference and is so cheap to implement then why do all the CDs currently sold not have a green edge ?

Again, I will jump this one as I believe you have the terms mixed up (hopefully).

So you prefer the warm sound of tube amps then clearly.

RB

brudder..................i know biamping and biwiring very well, trust me !

# biamping requires at least 2 power amps, can use up to 4 amps...................there's also tri-amping and quad-amping...........

# biwiring only from 1 stereo power amp or 2 monoblocs.............

### in hifi, many many things work like voodoo...............believe or not..................what's important is there's a difference in sound quality.

### years ago, a German electrical engineer was telling me how ALL cables are the same and there's no difference in sound quality......................after i let him listen to my home system (( switching only the AC power cords )).............

he shut the **** up after that..........................

BY THE WAY......................HERE'S A SHOCKER FOR YOU.........................

even changing the FUSES inside your amps, cd player and the 3-pin plug of the ac cords makes a CLEAR difference..............

BY THE WAY......................HERE'S A SHOCKER FOR YOU.........................

even changing the FUSES inside your amps, cd player and the 3-pin plug of the ac cords makes a CLEAR difference..............

will changing the color of the hifi room cause colorations of the sound? :D :D :D :D

will changing the color of the hifi room cause colorations of the sound? :D :D :D :D

brudder....................go and try..................switch to those audiophile silver fuses and you hear the difference..........

these fuses will clean up the sound, make the background quieter and make the treble smoother...........

they will work for even non-high-end systems................

brudder....................go and try..................switch to those audiophile silver fuses and you hear the difference..........

these fuses will clean up the sound, make the background quieter and make the treble smoother...........

sorry bro, but i dun have really good ears to perceive any differences in SQ with fuse change, my ear can only listen up to 17kHz and no more liao..... and this is going to worsen as i get older..... but i do know Synergistic Research RCA cables really make a perceptible difference. :D

Edited by neubie

sorry bro, but i dun have really good ears to perceive that detailed SQ, my ear can only listen up to 17kHz and no more liao..... and this is going to worsen as i get older..... but i know Synergistic Research RCA cables really make a perceptible difference. :D

at least you're not using those over-hyped British cables..............

so you invested in Synergistic ac power cords ? they seem to be more famous for their ac cords.

at least you're not using those over-hyped British cables..............

so you invested in Synergistic ac power cords ? they seem to be more famous for their ac cords.

their RCA interconnects are good, the one with active shielding :) din really try their AC cables for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.... :D am more of a practical person, got difference in SQ then i buy, no difference at all, save up for other upgrades.

Edited by neubie

their RCA interconnects are good, the one with active shielding :) din really try their AC cables for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.... :D am more of a practical person, got difference in SQ then i buy, no difference at all, save up for other upgrades.

get the fuses lah...................you sure can hear the difference one.................they cost around 10 bucks or less so good value mah............

### by the way, go to my thread on free tips to improve sound, contribute with some free tips lah.............

### in hifi, many many things work like voodoo...............believe or not..................what's important is there's a difference in sound quality.

Only to some people. The X-Files tag line springs to mind "I want to believe" where these people come to mind.

### years ago, a German electrical engineer was telling me how ALL cables are the same and there's no difference in sound quality......................after i let him listen to my home system (( switching only the AC power cords )).............

he shut the **** up after that..........................

Then I would hate to think what rubbish you were using in the first place or how poorly designed your amp was to not be able to handle receiving the current over standard cables.

If the engineer was telling you that all cables were the same then he should have gone back to school in the first place. They are not the same but any differences they make would be inconsequential in a reasonable amp with a reasonable power stage.

The fact is I am not suggesting anyone should not try, only that it is a commonly accepted truth that they make minimal to no difference among experts and any difference perceived is generally in the mind of the listener.

If someone tries them and thinks the change is enough to warrant the price then who am I to stop them spending their money. I can only pass on documented evidence from people considered experts in the field, unlike you. If you were able to provide some documented evidence rather than just spouting this stuff and expecting everyone to ignorantly lap it up then you would have a whole lot more credibility.

You by your own admittance cannot explain how these myths you believe work actually work, just that you are sure they do. Like me telling everyone a Honda Civic goes faster than a Porche if I polish the rubber hoses so they can reflect more heat in the engine. Car expert say it is not so but I still state it as fact.

Anyway, if you believe a word of this then go try for yourself people. If it sounds better and you are willing to pay the price then there is nothing wrong with that. Most of the rest of the worlds experts in the field believe you wont from a technical Voodoo free point of view.

Rb

AVS forums view on the subject here.

Bottom line, whatever the fuse is made from it is still connecting to old crappy bits of metal in the plug. The last post I like the best in that thread...

They only appear to work if you have no idea what fuses do. ;)

Another thread from the same source on expensive power cables. This one includes the response from Chris Russel of Bryston.

Favorite quote from that one, apart from Chris Russels reply is;

A true blind test has proven Extremely Expensive speaker wire to be a waste of money.

A true blind test has proven Extremely Expensive cables to be a waste of money.

A true blind test has proven Extremely Expensive power cables to be a waste of money.

1. Get an education!!

2. Stop believing the sales guy that gets paid minimum wage! There is a reason he works for that much.....HE LACKS EDUCATION.

3. These threads sadly are fun to read just shows how dumb people can be :D

Lots more interesting threads on tweaks here.

People will believe what they want especially when they have spent a lot of money. I prefer to believe in science, respected authorities and my own experience. Others prefer voodoo to justify spending money.

RB

aiyah...............no need to argue lah...................go and listen..................you'll hear the difference................

why not bring your cables and compare at the shop.....................

aiyah...............no need to argue lah...................go and listen..................you'll hear the difference................

why not bring your cables and compare at the shop.....................

I would agree but it needs to be a blind test and preferably not a t a shop whos interest is in selling something to you.

Of course the other issue is that most low to mid end HiFi has directly wired power cables. I know the mid to lower Yamaha AV amps do which makes it hard to do.

The test is better done at home if possible with borrowed cables like I did for HDMI cables showing there is no difference for the average user regardless of price.

You say go listen, I agree. You say there is a difference, I say from a scientific and expert opinion there isn't. This should not stop people testing for themselves by any means. The problem is arranging a blind non subjective test, i.e. measuring the output scientifically rather than just listening which is open to perceptional influences.

RB