Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Caireann

Small Bathroom, How To?

I just bought a flat.

My bathrooms need to be renovated.

Dilemma:

They are the old small type, 1650mm*1800mm in size.

In one bathroom there is toilet and sink with the exit pipe for the toilet about 30cm from the wall

In the other bathroom is squatting toilet and shower and a tiny sink where the squatting toilet is.

How to get best all three, sitting toilet, sink and shower into both bathrooms?

here an impression:

batha.jpg

master bathroom images:

masterbath0s.jpg

masterbath1s.jpg

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I just bought a flat.

My bathrooms need to be renovated.

Dilemma:

They are the old small type, 1650mm*1800mm in size.

In one bathroom there is toilet and sink with the exit pipe for the toilet about 30cm from the wall

In the other bathroom is squatting toilet and shower and a tiny sink where the squatting toilet is.

How to get best all three, sitting toilet, sink and shower into both bathrooms?

here an impression:

batha.jpg

master bathroom images:

masterbath0s.jpg

masterbath1s.jpg

hi is yours a 3 room flat? i also just bought one 3ng at amk. i have not gone for my 1st apt which is soon on 5 nov. since i bought this place, the toilet has been my biggest headache. but last night i finally decided since it's just 2 of us staying, we intend to hack the middle wall to combine the 2 toilet, so the one nearer to the master room will be used for shower and the other at the common area will be wc. unless the contractor says it's very expensive.

hi is yours a 3 room flat? i also just bought one 3ng at amk. i have not gone for my 1st apt which is soon on 5 nov. since i bought this place, the toilet has been my biggest headache. but last night i finally decided since it's just 2 of us staying, we intend to hack the middle wall to combine the 2 toilet, so the one nearer to the master room will be used for shower and the other at the common area will be wc. unless the contractor says it's very expensive.
My one is a 4 room flat. I will be staying alone there, but I have to consider that one day I would like to rent out one room to get some money.

The master bedroom: I plan to hack the wall to the bedroom2 so that at the end I will have a nice big bedroom and one I could rent out.

For hacking out the wall inbetween bathrooms:

A friend had that done. It looks great.

She got when you enter the bathroom from the master bedroom first the toilet, then a lifestyle sink, then entering the second part the shower room with exit to the kitchen.

I considered that first but I have to consider a possible tenant.

I also considered hacking the entire MB bathroom wall and make the MB bathroom bigger, but HDB wouldnt allow that. They said wet areas cannot be made bigger, but dry areas can be made smaller.

Mine is a 4ng, currently also facing same problem.

Am thinking of turning the MB toilet into a powder rm and only shower in the common toilet.

If not will try to relocate the MB toilet door to open in front of the wc, seal up the existing to create more space for showering. :)

you may want to check out this t-blog, it's a 4NG too. master toilet is extended a bit to create a shower area.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...=22016&st=0

WEll, I asked HDB if I can do that because I had the same idea.

HDB said that would be not allowed, so illegal.

If a contractor carries that out then he will probably be fined.

HDB said: There are wet areas and dry areas in the house.

It is not allowed to extend the wet area into the dry area because it can give problems with the flat below.

Mine is a 4ng, currently also facing same problem.

Am thinking of turning the MB toilet into a powder rm and only shower in the common toilet.

If not will try to relocate the MB toilet door to open in front of the wc, seal up the existing to create more space for showering. :)

I am single and alone.

I could make one shower room and one pang sai room but I have to consider: If I like to rent out one room then I got no more privacy. I dont want to walk through the kitchen to take shower there with tenants in the house.

really, having a toilet extension in the bedroom with the vanity top isn't exactly a wet area in my opinion. just like in its original layout, the basin in the kitchen is also located just outside the toilet. yes we do get water splashed accidentally in the kitchen at times but it is not exactly a wet area like a toilet.

I am single and alone.

I could make one shower room and one pang sai room but I have to consider: If I like to rent out one room then I got no more privacy. I dont want to walk through the kitchen to take shower there with tenants in the house.

ya understand having the same problem too, still thinking of ways to make it happen for a small space. Will update you when new ideas come along.

really, having a toilet extension in the bedroom with the vanity top isn't exactly a wet area in my opinion. just like in its original layout, the basin in the kitchen is also located just outside the toilet. yes we do get water splashed accidentally in the kitchen at times but it is not exactly a wet area like a toilet.

I did check with one of my ID, if the owner want to sell it later, HDB would require seller to remove the vanity. So is either 1) extra cost to remove when selling 2) or to bear with the small toilet.

I did check with one of my ID, if the owner want to sell it later, HDB would require seller to remove the vanity. So is either 1) extra cost to remove when selling 2) or to bear with the small toilet.

Perhaps you might want to confirm with HDB. I think you dont have to re-instate the original state, unless the buyer request.

Same for hacking of wall, if buyer like it that way, than no need spend $$ to re-instate. If buyer insisted, than seller have to re-instated to original.

:D

I am single and alone.

Unless you dont mind this method.

Hack the way in the middle to combine both toilets. so you will have a proper BIG bathroom but accessible by both doorway at kitchen and your masterbed room.

You still will be sharing the bathroom with the future tenants, but direct access from your bedroom.

But still it not very safe, if you have forgotten to lock the door.. as tenant could access your room from the toilet.

I actually replied in another thread, but since the topic is here too, just to share:

Work to be done: Enlargement of bathroom/toilets after first three years upon completion of block

Require permit: Yes

* Maximum width and area of extension must not be more than 600 mm and 0.6 m2 respectively, and must be used only as a "dry area", e.g. for installation of wash basin or shelves.

So yes, it is permitted, as the sink is considered a 'dry' area.

Perhaps you might want to confirm with HDB. I think you dont have to re-instate the original state, unless the buyer request.

Same for hacking of wall, if buyer like it that way, than no need spend $$ to re-instate. If buyer insisted, than seller have to re-instated to original.

:D

I think, if HDB allows it then you dont have to remove it. Only illegally carried out works have to be reverted.

At the end counts, as long as you like it, but, if you want to sell, and the buyer doesnt like it...well, then they can buy another flat.

Unless you dont mind this method.

Hack the way in the middle to combine both toilets. so you will have a proper BIG bathroom but accessible by both doorway at kitchen and your masterbed room.

You still will be sharing the bathroom with the future tenants, but direct access from your bedroom.

But still it not very safe, if you have forgotten to lock the door.. as tenant could access your room from the toilet.

I actually do like my privacy and dont like the idea having tenants around. I just have to consider it as last reserve, but I have to consider it.

I actually replied in another thread, but since the topic is here too, just to share:

Work to be done: Enlargement of bathroom/toilets after first three years upon completion of block

Require permit: Yes

* Maximum width and area of extension must not be more than 600 mm and 0.6 m2 respectively, and must be used only as a "dry area", e.g. for installation of wash basin or shelves.

So yes, it is permitted, as the sink is considered a 'dry' area.

That sounds pretty small. If I would squeeze a 60cm vanity top into the extension because more is not allowed then I would touch both walls with my elbows when brushing my teeth.

How much would such an extension cost???

Edited by Caireann

Guest Goobii

4ng toilet is bigger than my current 3i model...

your solution ..... just hack the middle wall... rebuild back later when u rent out the room... or.... get shower screen to divide