Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tientien

Any Ways To Darken Windows?

hi all,

need some ideas on how to darken my window as the lights are coming in through the gaps of my roller blinds even at night.

as this was the first time i was installing roller blind so i didn't make provision for the sunlight and passing cars' head lights to peep through the gaps. should i have known, i would have opted for blinds with black-out effect. now my blinds are with 70% block out and it really irritates me at times when the sun was glaring through when i want to sleep in late.

does those darken films like v-cool helps?

thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

To tint your windows really dark, you dun need to spend so much on vkool; just the usual films can liao.

Vkool is for those who do not want the heat yet still not dark.

hi all,

need some ideas on how to darken my window as the lights are coming in through the gaps of my roller blinds even at night.

as this was the first time i was installing roller blind so i didn't make provision for the sunlight and passing cars' head lights to peep through the gaps. should i have known, i would have opted for blinds with black-out effect. now my blinds are with 70% block out and it really irritates me at times when the sun was glaring through when i want to sleep in late.

does those darken films like v-cool helps?

thanks

lights from cars? or lamp post? headlights from cars can be penetrating - you need something very DARK films to block.

lights from cars? or lamp post? headlights from cars can be penetrating - you need something very DARK films to block.

the car headlights are not exactly direct but more like passing flash that irritates me when i am not fully asleep. then in the morning its the sunlight lor.

the car headlights are not exactly direct but more like passing flash that irritates me when i am not fully asleep. then in the morning its the sunlight lor.

wah - your unit beside a MCP???

put those thick thick or opaque curtains - this is bad for your health.

sorry, what is a MCP?

Multi-storey Car Park.

It might not be advisable to use dark film on your window. Because it would then be dark even in the day time, and you would have to rely on your lights to see in the day. (electricity costs money)

I suggest you install another curtain over your roller blinds, e.g. double pleated fabric curtain with or without more black out. And make sure you make this curtain longer, to cover about 3 inches more on each side. This should be very pretty if you find the right fabric to match your roller blinds.

Multi-storey Car Park.

It might not be advisable to use dark film on your window. Because it would then be dark even in the day time, and you would have to rely on your lights to see in the day. (electricity costs money)

I suggest you install another curtain over your roller blinds, e.g. double pleated fabric curtain with or without more black out. And make sure you make this curtain longer, to cover about 3 inches more on each side. This should be very pretty if you find the right fabric to match your roller blinds.

heng ah! i dont live next to a MCP.

thanks for your input chunky monkey. but will that look nice? i cant imagine roller blinds with fabric curtain leh. where should the curtain be hung? behind the roller blinds, and closer to the window? does this work?

thanks for your input chunky monkey. but will that look nice? i cant imagine roller blinds with fabric curtain leh. where should the curtain be hung? behind the roller blinds, and closer to the window? does this work?

I have done silk *roman* blinds as my day curtain, and used heavy silk drapes as my night curtains, and it looked very classy.

Is your roller blinds plain or with prints?

You actually will need another track just above your roller blinds track, and it should be in front of your roller blinds.

Go to your curtains shop to check out their same photos. I am sure it has been done before.

Edited by Chunky Monkey

there is a type of fabric which can totally 'blackout' the lights.. i used that for my Roman Blinds... it works... at least for my sister's room... for mine, lights came in via the MBR toilet... the small little windows... now cracking my head to darken them so that i can sleep later during weekends... :thumbs up:

kensantanctuary's idea also works... basically it means that you can pick any fabric which you wan to be your blinds and add another piece behind so that it will become sth like 'blackout' material... you can check with any curtain shops... just tell them you wanna blackout the room... they will recommend you the fabric accordingly... :sport-smiley-018:

there is a type of fabric which can totally 'blackout' the lights.. i used that for my Roman Blinds... it works... at least for my sister's room... for mine, lights came in via the MBR toilet... the small little windows... now cracking my head to darken them so that i can sleep later during weekends... !!

kensantanctuary's idea also works... basically it means that you can pick any fabric which you wan to be your blinds and add another piece behind so that it will become sth like 'blackout' material... you can check with any curtain shops... just tell them you wanna blackout the room... they will recommend you the fabric accordingly... :dancingqueen:

this is what i like about this forum.....pple comes in and contribute all kinds of ideas. !!

thanks for the contribution guys! but i already have my curtains up. i didnt opt for the black-out material as i dont like my room in total darkness. what escaped me is that i didnt expect the amount of light that comes in through the gaps between the roller blinds are so bright!

now i am only trying to retify this problem by reducing as much (sun)light as possible and hopefully it doesnt involve me changing the whole set of curtain !!

i can understand... it could be quite disturbing esp if you are a light sleeper... how abt seeking advice from your roller blinds maker?? maybe they have experience in this??? :rofl:

i also need advice on how to darken the little window in MBR toilet... anyone??

i also need advice on how to darken the little window in MBR toilet... anyone??

frost spray? not darken but blurr it - toilet dark dark no good lah.