Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Nipponho

Plaster & Paint Toilet Walls?

Hi ngangie, in the end i chickened out. Nobody does it, so i dare not try. I tiled it instead, but i chose a cheaper tile, $2.60psf. There are even cheaper ones, but not so nice.

The $2.60psf is inclusive of labour and laying?

I dread the thought of cleaning the tile grout lines.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Goalhome, Of course $2.60 does not include laying. This is the listed price at tile supplier shop. I pay labour separately. I saw some ceramic tiles costing only $1.50-1.60.

My wall tiles and the grout lines looks level, so it does not seem difficult to clean. But still too early to say, maybe it is new, so it is level, after some time, maybe the grout might sunk in. Maybe u can choose pure while tiles, easier to clean, yet cheaper, u can use bleach (i think)

Weiht & ngangie : I didn't know there is a third option to tiling & plastering. It is cement screeding, but i knew it only after i committed to the package, so too late. U can cement screed it and paint over, using normal nippon paint, no need to use epoxy. If the paint came off or become dirty, u can paint it every year, anyway one can of paint cost only $50. Every year your toilet looks new. I heard that cement screed can tahan water, but plaster cannot.

Hi Goalhome, Of course $2.60 does not include laying. This is the listed price at tile supplier shop. I pay labour separately. I saw some ceramic tiles costing only $1.50-1.60.

Hi Nipponho,

How much is the labour charges for laying? Did you use an ID, contractor or a tile layer for the tile works? Possible to PM me the contacts? Thanks!

How much is the charges for screeding works?

Edited by GoalHome

How come they never paint it? I think this looks nice only on picture. When u are physically there, u might find original cement colour is very dull. From the picture, it looks one patch one patch. I think would be nicer if it is painted.

Goal Home : Contractor will most likely tell u cannot, but u can just go ahead and insist on doing it, should be OK. If i am not wrong, cement screeding is water resistant. If i know it earlier, i would have done it.

Hi Apple, u seen the real thing before? Or just the pic? Not smooth u know, one patch one patch grey colour, dirty dirty look, if u go near, can see pimples, look like coffee shop toilet. But once painted, it looked so much better.

have stayed in quite a few places with cement screeded floor

so i assume the screeded wall should look the same right?

think it depends on the skill of the person doing it, the screeded floor is really smooth and cool !!

the colour is not constant, which is another thing that i liked about screeded surfaces :jawdrop:

have stayed in quite a few places with cement screeded floor

so i assume the screeded wall should look the same right?

think it depends on the skill of the person doing it, the screeded floor is really smooth and cool :yamseng:

the colour is not constant, which is another thing that i liked about screeded surfaces 8|

o ya.. i remembered my grandmother's house where I grew up had the same cement screeded floor.. it was nice and smooth.. and ya now that I remembered it, it was actually cool 8| maybe if we r going to reno another house in the future might considered that theme/design.. 8|

Phoenix, Is it? Everything on magazine sure look nice. I vaguely remember some hotels also don't have tiles. I will try to think of an opportunity to visit hotel to see.

WaiLeong : I am only in my 30s. But the 3 room flat i just purchased has many of the things u said. Squat toilet, "mor-peng" walls, toilet half tile up half bare. Very sad hor? I hope to keep my reno budget under 12k.

i just bought a 4R resale flat that is in the same condition as you mentioned :) spalling concrete, rusted windows (they used iron windows in those days), broken concrete along the kitchen window ledge, broken squat toilet bowl, and walls that give you a nightmare -- so i am doing a drastic makeover !

actually, you don't have a problem deciding whether to paint or re-tile: simply paint the toilet and shower cubicle first to see how you like it, then if you don't like it you could do re-tiling 1 or 2 years later. :furious:

Hi Bluefly, i cant just paint it, there is existing wall tiles that were half came off. and for some parts that came off, they used masking tape to hold it in place. So hacking is inevitable, so i might as well go one more step to tile it or screed it.

Hi Bluefly, i cant just paint it, there is existing wall tiles that were half came off. and for some parts that came off, they used masking tape to hold it in place. So hacking is inevitable, so i might as well go one more step to tile it or screed it.

gosh, in that case -- you're right -- might as well bite the bullet and tile or screed it.

cement screeding, if done properly (read == artistically), can look real beautiful. seems to be the "in-thing" quite recently. more economical too, than re-tiling work.

can't recall where i've seen them (maybe on tv programs such as debbie travis?), but screeding got some interesting effects e.g. some ppl mix colored glass bits into the cement mix and screed on the wall, resulting screed is striking, others use pebbles or small stones, whilst yet others simply use a combination of techniques (ragging?, whorl, marbling pattern?).

dunno if got ppl with such skills locally.