Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Antz

Plc Lights - Not Correct Size ?

Hi all,

Need advices on this urgently cos my lights going to be delivered tomorrow but my electrician and ID said my PLC casting wrong size !

Going to have 18x2 PLC lights for my living room. The PLC casting is 14.5cm x 14.5cm. Electrician say too small, part of the 18w light tube will not be inside the casting compartment and it will not be as bright as i want.

Is this normal ? Is there any PLC casting slightly bigger than the 14.5 cm one ? i don't want to get those for the 26w one, too big liao.

The lighting shop insisted that this is the correct size for 2x18w but the electrician say there are slightly bigger one in the market.

i'm very confused now. Any kind soul pls help :dancingqueen:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi all,

Need advices on this urgently cos my lights going to be delivered tomorrow but my electrician and ID said my PLC casting wrong size !

Going to have 18x2 PLC lights for my living room. The PLC casting is 14.5cm x 14.5cm. Electrician say too small, part of the 18w light tube will not be inside the casting compartment and it will not be as bright as i want.

Is this normal ? Is there any PLC casting slightly bigger than the 14.5 cm one ? i don't want to get those for the 26w one, too big liao.

The lighting shop insisted that this is the correct size for 2x18w but the electrician say there are slightly bigger one in the market.

i'm very confused now. Any kind soul pls help :dancingqueen:

the 18w bulbs are longer than the 12w/8w..etc

best is to screw in a 18w bulb and show them.

18w are VERY BRIGHT - infact 1x 12w bulb is already more than enough to BRIGHTEN a toilet.

unless your ID is a REAL ID who designs a house by incorporating lighting effects and charges you a separate $4-5k just for designing - then i guess you really need 18w bulbs - sorry nowadays too many "ah beng and ah seng" also call themselves as IDs.

Problem solved. Went down to Kelantan Lane this afternoon as recommended by my electrician. Bought those PLC casting that can better fit my 18w tube. Surprise to note that they're selling the same stuff much cheaper here. Those castings i got are slightly bigger and of better quality but cheaper than my previous ones. Luckily my lighting shop allow me to cancel my PLC order prior to delivery today.

The 18wx2 PLC is my idea. In fact, ID advised that it will be very/too bright. But we got only 6 PLC pt for the living area so i guess it's still should be ok.

Advise for those searching for PLC lights, can go see see at those higher end lighting shops, get the brand and model no. and purchase from Kelantan Lane. Need to find ways to save $ cos inflation rate increases faster than our salary.

Thanks.

Hi Antz,

Can pm me the shop that you buy at kelantan lane?

I also finding info on how many PLC lights to use on my living room.

I think is up to personal, how bright they like.

More bright = more $$$ :rofl:

Anyone can advice if after install and find out not bright enough or too bright.

Can we upgrade/downgrade the light?

For upgrade maybe got size problem :)

Thanks.

Hi Simeiz,

I think there are at least 4 shops at Jalan Besar, u can just stroll there. I also realised that their prices are lower than those at balestier.

I was also interested to estimate the amount of brightness & went to find out. You can agar using your present dwelling. Find out how many lumens each bulb produce & total up. Then see how many lumens u are having presently & whether u want to increase or decrease. Measure brightness by lumens, not wattage. Some ah beng electricians also don't know about this. I also didn't know, but now i know, but i am excused bec i am not science student.

More bright = more $$? I thought so too, but when i went to SP services website to calculate, looks like lightings are not expensive, less than ten dollars a month.

If u want the flexibility to experiment, u can choose the philips bulbs, i think the holder size is E27, cannot remember exactly, but it is E20something. All the philips energy saving bulbs are of the same holder size. If after installing, u find it too bright or too dark, u can "pweek" out and change the bulb.

Hope this helps. Me not expert, i also went to find out all these for my own installation, so i thought i can pass on some info to u.

me always shop there.

block 30 got a few shops there. lamps all cheap cheap.

E27 is the one with a bigger "stub"/"head". E14 is the smaller one.

E27 is the most popular.

Thanks Nipponho :rofl:

So E27 is the most popular holder size.

which is better, use 1 bulb or 2 bulbs in each downlight?

Thanks Nipponho :rofl:

So E27 is the most popular holder size.

which is better, use 1 bulb or 2 bulbs in each downlight?

personal preference...to me 1 bulb is more than enough.

U can experiment. If u put 2 into 1 spot, might as well put 2 at different spot. For more even light distribution. If u scared not bright enough, u can use the max 23 watt bulb. (information quoted from my company's electrician).

I saw at bugis mrt that they put 2 bulb into one casing, but their ceiling is not low.

Can get those casting that can fit double tubes. i guess if later find that double tubes too bright, then can remove one tube.

i would strongly recommend going this area to shop for PLC lights and other common lights cos much cheaper and in fact they got wider range. But for nice dinning or bedroom lights, this is not the place.

Can get those casting that can fit double tubes. i guess if later find that double tubes too bright, then can remove one tube.

i would strongly recommend going this area to shop for PLC lights and other common lights cos much cheaper and in fact they got wider range. But for nice dinning or bedroom lights, this is not the place.

in kelantan lane, they do have nice up market products - the problem is - you need to ask only then they will take out and show you. Cos all their customers are contractors, going by the part number and model, no need to see one.

Hi all,

i've another problem...after the installation of the PLC lights, i noticed that there are some lights seeping out of the sides of the cover. The cover cannot totally flush with the false ceiling. i called up a lighting shop and they told me it's common. Just need to put some pastering powder to cover up.

Any comments ?