Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
canis_minoris

"frosted" Window Film

Anyone knows where to get clear "frosted" look window film for DIY ? Are these easy to DIY apply ?

I have some windows that I would like to cover the lower half for privacy, but would still like sunlight to pass through. Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Anyone knows where to get clear "frosted" look window film for DIY ? Are these easy to DIY apply ?

I have some windows that I would like to cover the lower half for privacy, but would still like sunlight to pass through. Thanks

To apply, put a little soap in a spray bottle, fill it with water, spray on the window glass first, then peel off the protective film and spray on the sticky face. Place the film on glass, can shift till the correct position. Use a old credit card as squeezer and start to push out the soap water. Start from the center, pust up, push down, push left, push right... then slowly push out the rest of the water. It will take a few days to completely dry. This way is much better then sticking it dry... cos there will be a lot of trapped air bubbles.

Thanks guys for the help. :sport-smiley-018:

Just another question on the DIY, is it easier to cut film to exact size before sticking, or stick then use penknife and cut around edges of window ? I am thinking of the second method, but am concerned about cutting the window rubber seal.

Thanks guys for the help. !!

Just another question on the DIY, is it easier to cut film to exact size before sticking, or stick then use penknife and cut around edges of window ? I am thinking of the second method, but am concerned about cutting the window rubber seal.

What the window installer do is to spray soap water on glass, then put the un-peel film (with protecting sheet) on the window, spread it evenly with the c.card+cloth then use pen knife and slowly cut to size. Then take out, peel off protecting sheet, spray more soap water on the sticky face, and put on the glass. After pushing out the water, can use penkinfe to slowly trim the sides if needed. As for the rubber seal, cut a bit cannot be avioded unless u have super firm hand and good skill (but usually its just some cut marks on the seal when you "miss" a bit, unless you use a lot of froce to cut, the seal should still be intact, only cuts marks on it, can't really see it even at near).

Two things I miss out - 1) use a good soap like Johnson baby shampoo, (the v-kool installer use that, so think its important to use better brand soap.... if not they will use cheap soap to earn more profit, ha ha)

2) When using the c.card to push out water, use a soft cloth to wrap around the edge of the card that contact the film. So you won't scratch the film when pushing out the water.

Cheers.

Edited by Brainstorm

What the window installer do is to spray soap water on glass, then put the un-peel film (with protecting sheet) on the window, spread it evenly with the c.card+cloth then use pen knife and slowly cut to size. Then take out, peel off protecting sheet, spray more soap water on the sticky face, and put on the glass. After pushing out the water, can use penkinfe to slowly trim the sides if needed. As for the rubber seal, cut a bit cannot be avioded unless u have super firm hand and good skill (but usually its just some cut marks on the seal when you "miss" a bit, unless you use a lot of froce to cut, the seal should still be intact, only cuts marks on it, can't really see it even at near).

Two things I miss out - 1) use a good soap like Johnson baby shampoo, (the v-kool installer use that, so think its important to use better brand soap.... if not they will use cheap soap to earn more profit, ha ha)

2) When using the c.card to push out water, use a soft cloth to wrap around the edge of the card that contact the film. So you won't scratch the film when pushing out the water.

Cheers.

Thanks v much for the advice, very helpful

:good:

To apply, put a little soap in a spray bottle, fill it with water, spray on the window glass first, then peel off the protective film and spray on the sticky face. Place the film on glass, can shift till the correct position. Use a old credit card as squeezer and start to push out the soap water. Start from the center, pust up, push down, push left, push right... then slowly push out the rest of the water. It will take a few days to completely dry. This way is much better then sticking it dry... cos there will be a lot of trapped air bubbles.

This is so useful! It's really quite easy.

I saw those solar film company doing for my hubby's car and thought workmanship is so easy yet they charges so high. Chey!

Hi canis..

I also DIY-ed the the frosted effect for my toilet window panes for more privacy. I got them from a shop along balestier near Hafary. You will see the shop having many types of window film from the outside. They sell according to how much you need, so remember to take measurements of your windows before you go!

Installation is pretty simple, just like what brainstorm described.

:)

Hi canis..

I also DIY-ed the the frosted effect for my toilet window panes for more privacy. I got them from a shop along balestier near Hafary. You will see the shop having many types of window film from the outside. They sell according to how much you need, so remember to take measurements of your windows before you go!

Installation is pretty simple, just like what brainstorm described.

:yamseng:

can i check how u guys cut the side, think my skill not that good seems to be uneven

can i check how u guys cut the side, think my skill not that good seems to be uneven

I have never done it myself, but I saw those 'pro' do it when they came to fix my previous house. They use slightly oversize one, the application is as what Brainstorm storm, except that you will have extra on all 4 sides, then they use a penknife and just cut the 4 sides (on the glass, be careful don't cut the rubber, use the rubber as the guide and remember to hold the film steady) and it should be very swee liao.