Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Not sure it shld b posted here but here goes

I have afew contraiding answers from different IDs so i hope someone can help me out.

my flat is a low flr unit 4th only hence need to install a window grill in the svc yard area. Different IDs gave me different views

some say need to install those toot toot alumiuium one that abide with HDB regulations others say no need can use rod iron

in any case i wld prefer rod iron hence hope someone can help me out on this

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hdb only has regulations regarding installations that PROTRUDE out from the unit

therefore those wrought iron grilles that protrude out of the wall must apply permit

the rest all no need :)

Attn: Jet Fire,

The HDB regulation is to follow was that anything that is facing / part of the exterior of the building that are exposed are to be of the same colour which was that the balcony have to follow the colour code of HDB which was dark blue colour with blue tinted glass if not fines will be imposed on the couple & the id firm. 1 good e.g. is blk 467A admiralty drive, the balcony windows have to be dark blue frame with blue tinted glass & the screws that are to be used to tighten the grills & frames have to be & must be stainless steel screws.

As for "Pot Bellied" wrought iron grilles at the balcony, you can ask your contractor or ID guy to approach their sub con that does the window works is either Central Aluminium / Wan Sern to applied the license on your behalf which is of the standard practised in the market.

As for kitchen side, the grills, you can either put white powder coated aluminium window grills / silver/bronze aluminium window grills / wrought iron window grills as well. As for the wrought iron window grills, there're 2 types of wrought iron so please take note.

1. The smooth feeling one is without galvanising.

2. The rough feeling one is with galvanising.

Though the white powder coated window grills with colour tinted glass is costly but wrought iron grills will cost you even more.

Main function of the wrought iron grills is to slow down the break in process or timing only as it will take a long time to cut thru the grills.

Edited by joe_ling

appreciate the fast reply esp from joe n apple thks

yup just collected my keys saw the rest of the hse think alu window grills suited more. hence wld choose that as for the deisgn i guess hdb have alreayd give me those orbi design :)

what to do :deal:

anyway thks again :notti:

Jet fire,

You're welcome. As for the grilles pattrern right, you can approach Wan Sern and get their sample lists. You'll get to see all the different designs that you wants. You can even ask them to tailor made to your likings.

Hihi,

A bit of side track here... hope TS dun mind...

Was wondering if it's feasible to just chg the locks on the existing windows or/and to chg the grilles. Still cant make up my mind as i'd approached a few contractors and some say cant chg the locks only and some say better chg the windows+locks. I believed got a forummer also told me can just chg the glass only. 8|

Is it more feasible to just chg the whole windows instead? I can decide on the grilles on another time as I had forgotten to take note of their conditions - its a corridor resale unit, thus the headache on either windows/grilles/locks. ;)

Skywolf,

As you mentioned that your resale unit is along the corridoor, my suggestions would that you change both the windows as well as the grilles too. Forget abt the lock. For your grilles, I would strongly recommend you to install fixed wrought iron grilles with galvanising & as for your windows, if you don't wish the neighbours to look into your unit, then my advise is to get frosted glass window panels. Go for the 3 sliding track window with the internal lock.

You would get both the security & as well as your privacy. The frosted panels would still allow certain amount of natural light into your house while the window is close.

Do not go for those reflective films / so call tinted windows. Be'cos alot of house owners are being misled into thinking that once they installed those kind of window, generally they would've a "I can see u in my house but you can't see me along the corridoor" mindset. But when is at night, when you turn on the lights, your neighbours get to see everything that goes on in your room and in your house & theregoes your privacy. ;)

Another way to protect your own privacy is to install roller blinds / day & night curtains.

But please remember to check with HDB, if you're to follow the same / exact colour code on your window frames & the glass colour. e.g. Admiralty Drive area, all external windows that are exposed to public are to be maintain as navy blue colour frame with blue tinted glass so is the windows that are along the corridoor.

Edited by joe_ling

Skywolf,

As you mentioned that your resale unit is along the corridoor, my suggestions would that you change both the windows as well as the grilles too. Forget abt the lock. For your grilles, I would strongly recommend you to install fixed wrought iron grilles with galvanising & as for your windows, if you don't wish the neighbours to look into your unit, then my advise is to get frosted glass window panels. Go for the 3 sliding track window with the internal lock.

You would get both the security & as well as your privacy. The frosted panels would still allow certain amount of natural light into your house while the window is close.

Do not go for those reflective films / so call tinted windows. Be'cos alot of house owners are being misled into thinking that once they installed those kind of window, generally they would've a "I can see u in my house but you can't see me along the corridoor" mindset. But when is at night, when you turn on the lights, your neighbours get to see everything that goes on in your room and in your house & theregoes your privacy. !!

Another way to protect your own privacy is to install roller blinds / day & night curtains.

But please remember to check with HDB, if you're to follow the same / exact colour code on your window frames & the glass colour. e.g. Admiralty Drive area, all external windows that are exposed to public are to be maintain as navy blue colour frame with blue tinted glass so is the windows that are along the corridoor.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info, esp on the frosted part in lieu of tinted film. But I will definitely be doing curtains for the windows part. I suppose frosted + day is fine... :notti: will see again... I believed we need not do the color... had noticed diff colored windows liao. :notti:

Guest our-home

My unit is also common corridor on the 6th floor. Met with one ID yesterday and he recommended double sliding, ie. one-third on top section separate sliding window. Bottom sections frosted glass while the top sections are clear glass instead of top-hinge windows. Don't think installing grilles on the opposite side (from corridor) as no small kids here. Maybe you can check on this double sliding window idea too.

Hi our-home

As you mentioned that your unit is along the corridoor also, I would strongly recommend you to install fixed wrought iron grilles whether there're kids or no kids along the corridoor. You would still get the security that you required in due time.

(Which I suggested to jetfire & skywolf in my earlier posting)

What your ID recommended is right. The clear glass does allow more light to penetrate thru into your room or your flat.

Guest our-home

Hi, I meant to say no grilles for the row of windows away from the corridor side, ie. 2 bedrooms and kitchen. Definitely the living and one bedroom facing the corridor must have grilles. Thanks though.

Hi our-home

As you mentioned that your unit is along the corridoor also, I would strongly recommend you to install fixed wrought iron grilles whether there're kids or no kids along the corridoor. You would still get the security that you required in due time.

(Which I suggested to jetfire & skywolf in my earlier posting)

What your ID recommended is right. The clear glass does allow more light to penetrate thru into your room or your flat.

Yupz... we had decided to install fixed wrought iron grilles on tt side as the windows (which were installed by hdb yrs back) were of the gd quality tt no amt of $ can get tt kind of quality... at least that's what 1 contractor told me so far. :notti:

How abt the grilles? Can it be other colours instead of blue coated grills? Can i check where do you get the information that admiralty drive area need to install blue tinted glass with navy blue colour frame? Thanks.

Edited by simpleguy80