Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wiredchaos

Overlaying ?

Hi Bros & Sistas,

One of my ID suggested overlaying overtiles to save cost fr hacking and etc..etc...

Any Pros and Cons in doing tat ? Wats the procedure like ?

SUPER RENO NEWBIE AND IDIOT signing out.... :deal:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Overlay tiles indeed save cost. BUT popping up of tiles in years to come will have a higher chances.

To overlay the tiles you need to know the condition of ur current tiles. (dont need to ask ID/contractor unless they are very honest because most of them will say condition ok. not a problem can lay) when problem comes they will run and hide.

Also numbers of years which previous owner had lay the current tiles.

And check wherethe ur previous owner got overlay the tiles too. If yes it would better to hack away and make a new one.

Wiredchaos

Before you overlay, I would like to check with you, what's the age of the unit you've purchased & how's the condition of the overall tiles in your house? Like what Deilaz had asked you, checked with the previous owner if he / she had over lay the tiles and which part of the house had he / she overlayed. The number of yrs they had overlayed & if yes they had overlayed, hacking is a must !! It cannot be avoided..

Yes, overlaying will be cheaper as you need not pay for the hacking of the existing tiles. Bu the problem with overlaying is that cement does not stick well on a smooth surface even with chemical adhesive added so theres a possibility of tiles popping out prematurely. You've to decide between saving a thousand plus dlooars & risk having tiles popping out here & there in a year or two or paying a fraction more of the overall amount & having the peace of mind.

Design is all about aesthetics & practicality. Do what you've to. Make the right choices & don't occur extra costs for yourselves

You also have to make sure that if you're going for hacking, you've to find out the area you're staying in, the timing for hacking & laying of new floor tiles from what time to what time. This is to prevent your neighbours calling the town council & getting yourself fined for nothing as certain neighbourhood area only allows wet works / masonry works to be done during 9am-5pm only.

Deilaz, I would like to informed you that not all IDs are like that. There're so many IDs out there that don't encourage / practices hit & run cases. There maybe a few bad apples in the market but please do not generalised the rest with those rotten ones.

Edited by joe_ling

excuse me joe_ling pls read carefully or make ur eyes big enough to read the full words before comment on mine post.

(dont need to ask ID/contractor unless they are very honest because most of them will say condition ok. not a problem can lay)

did i say "all"?

no right. didnt read everything so dont assume. thanks.

i know you are an ID personnel. But that doesnt mean anything. You are free to write on the things you stated in the forum. This goes to me too. Furthermore you didnt even read it finish before comment on your word "please do not generalised the rest with those rotten ones". I stated as "MOST" not "ALL".

Please read again. Thanks...

Edited by Devilaz

This thread is being monitored. Kindly refrain fm getting personal at each other. Be mindful of your comments & actions, and practice appropriate forum etiquette. Thank you for your kind cooperation.. thanks, JuzChris

Not to worry on this. Just that i dont see the point why things can be sort it out but this seems to be too personal from joe_ling.

Woahhh... CHILL OUT GUYS...:bleah: I know both of u meant good. !!

nah im ok... i didnt say anyone who is the rotten egg who spoil the market.

just feel that why joe_ling make it so personal. knowing joe_ling is a ID personnel i can understand that he want to make where is stand.

anyway back to the topic,

would be good to heck off the tiles if the current condition is not too good. knowing that would make a big hole in ur pocket. still at least u will have an ease of mind.

you can reno ur house bit by bit. at least u wont one short spend one lump sum. reno the area which required to used frequently like kitchen cabinet, wiring, air-con truking, ceiling works, tiles etc...

hope this help u a bit. !!

nah im ok... i didnt say anyone who is the rotten egg who spoil the market.

just feel that why joe_ling make it so personal. knowing joe_ling is a ID personnel i can understand that he want to make where is stand.

anyway back to the topic,

would be good to heck off the tiles if the current condition is not too good. knowing that would make a big hole in ur pocket. still at least u will have an ease of mind.

you can reno ur house bit by bit. at least u wont one short spend one lump sum. reno the area which required to used frequently like kitchen cabinet, wiring, air-con truking, ceiling works, tiles etc...

hope this help u a bit. :D

Glad u r "chilled" :bangwall:

Btw mine is a very old flat in Toa Payoh. 37 years to be exact... hahah..me and wifey bgt it cos its jus beside my in laws place and Toa Payoh is a great neighbourhood and its close to town.

I think i will hack everything la... if not later anything wrong with the overlaying will bang BOLAs lor.. :ph34r:

I am truly & sincerely sorry if I did offend any one in here. I don't meant anything. I am sincerely sorry abt the whole issue devilaz

Glad u r "chilled" :dancingqueen:

Btw mine is a very old flat in Toa Payoh. 37 years to be exact... hahah..me and wifey bgt it cos its jus beside my in laws place and Toa Payoh is a great neighbourhood and its close to town.

I think i will hack everything la... if not later anything wrong with the overlaying will bang BOLAs lor.. :notti:

wow.. good place u got there... i have been eyeing there too. :notti:

yapz would be good to hack everything. but before laying of tiles make sure the floor are well cement. as due to the age of the house the floor will be a bit not stable as in some cracks. wait later ur downstair neighbour complain leaking. hope u know what i mean. :~

I am truly & sincerely sorry if I did offend any one in here. I don't meant anything. I am sincerely sorry abt the whole issue devilaz

chilled... :wub:

wow.. good place u got there... i have been eyeing there too. :P

yapz would be good to hack everything. but before laying of tiles make sure the floor are well cement. as due to the age of the house the floor will be a bit not stable as in some cracks. wait later ur downstair neighbour complain leaking. hope u know what i mean. :)

chilled... :)

Point noted...but old hse tend to be more "concrete" than current ones cos current ones are all Pre cast ones... tats wat i hrd.. :furious: