Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KOMAS7878

Cement Sand Screed Flooring

Hey Eng98, i want to ask u, based on what u have experienced, if i cement screed the kitchen wall, and then ICI paint it (not epoxy), just cement screed without plastering, will it look OK? Or still look morpeng? Contractor now give me a choice, if i want to plaster in addition to cement screed, another $200. Is it worth to pay $200 to get the extra smoothness?

I have an erected hollow block wall in my living room. just cement screed and with a layer of white finishing (not plastering), and paint over with Nippon paint. It looks good. I can take a photo of it when im back in SG next few days...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hi Komas, waiting for your photos, but how do u know the "white finish" is not plaster? Contractor told u?

Yup,... im sure its not plastering. Cos i was there when the painter paint that block of wall. But i didnt ask them what is that white finish. but its smooth for sure. That erected wall is for my TV console. :bow:

I had concrete screed walls for my kitchen. My ID applied a layer of clear epoxy over it and the entire wall became even more dull in color and all the cracks, lines, flaws, defects became very obvious. Made the entire wall so ugly. I was so pissed that I made them redo the whole wall. So they have to hack everything off the surface and redo the screed. After that, much better. And it does feel powedery everytime you touch it. But that's exactly what I want to feel.

But currently mine, is really powdery. Not just the feel.

Edited by KOMAS7878

Maybe slightly off topic...has anyone considered Vinyl sheets/tile on the floor as a low cost alternative to bare floor? I just did a Google image search for "Vinyl Floor". The images would surprise you. There are so many variety of design and it is almost hard to tell apart from a real ceramic/porcelain/stone floor. I understand that they are very cheap and durable as well. Somehow it hasn't quite caught on in Singapore??

Just some examples here: http://www.ldgeneralconstruction.com/IMAGE...Vinyl%201-1.jpg

http://www.thefloorauthority.com/vinyl-room1.jpg

http://www.floorcoverings-intl.com/images/...oor_bedroom.jpg

Edited by Topspin

there are pros and cons for vinyl flooring

it's not waterproof as in the seams, don't think you can find a piece big enough to cover the entire living room floor

so when you suay suay spill water near the seams, the water will seep under the sheets and it's a hassle to clean

it's also not as hardy as tiles

so quite easy to tear when you drag furniture around

not forgetting cigarette burns if someone smokes and drops the butt

used to have vinyl sheets at my old old place

it's not easy to maintain and extremely slippery when wet :dancingqueen:

as for vinyl tiles, the price might be quite close to laying ceramic / homo tiles :thumbs up:

Edited by applefreak

there are pros and cons for vinyl flooring

it's not waterproof as in the seams, don't think you can find a piece big enough to cover the entire living room floor

so when you suay suay spill water near the seams, the water will seep under the sheets and it's a hassle to clean

it's also not as hardy as tiles

so quite easy to tear when you drag furniture around

not forgetting cigarette burns if someone smokes and drops the butt

it's not easy to maintain and extremely slippery when wet :bow:

as for vinyl tiles, the price might be quite close to laying ceramic / homo tiles zz

oh....i see

May I add on to the topic of cement sand screed flooring?

My late grandma's house have cement sand screed flooring and it was polished also. However with time, it became quite dusty with dirt 'cos of the air + dirty feet despite regular sweeping & moping.

Somemore there is a need to have the cement screed flooring polished everytime when the polish wears off. So this basically requires some maintenence for the cement screed floor. For cement screed walls, I am not too sure but I should think it should have the same requirements for maintenence.

im currently researching for ideas for reno and i love the cement screed idea.....want to do for kitchen wall but if we do cook, will it affect the wall?

it's not easy to maintain and extremely slippery when wet :bow:

as for vinyl tiles, the price might be quite close to laying ceramic / homo tiles :~

There are different grades on vinyl tile/sheets. There are some that have anti-slip properties. I had it before and found it easy to maintain, didn't have slippery problem.

The cost is definitely cheaper than laying ceramic/homo tiles. What's the cost of laying ceramic/homo tiles... $5 psf? Cost of laying vinyl tiles inclusive of materials and labour should be less than $3 psf... depends on what design you want, there are some ready stock ones that goes for $1+ psf.

Does anyone have contact to do Vinyl flooring? If you do could you I have it?

My FH is desperately looking for one for his parents place. As they have it and its 30+ years old and he wants to replace it for his parents. I read this thread, so I thought I will ask for him since he is out of town

Thanks

-Celest

I think I know what most of you here refer to as the powdery feeling on a cement screed floor. We went for a site visit arranged by an ID that we were reviewing who had done such industrial loft concept with cement screed flooring. And yes, the cement screed flooring had the powdery feel. The owners have only stayed in for 8 months. We noticed the cracks and chips. Also, the colour wasn't right. We supposed that it may be due to the poor composite of the cement screed. Anyhow, we didn't engage them to renovate our apartment.

We are hoping to achieve the same cement screed of my grandparents' HDB shop house or the same flooring that we ran on playing catching barefooted along the HDB corridors and stairs.

My grandparents have a HDB shop house since 1978. A 2-burner stove and a rice cooker sit on the cement screed concrete stand that my grandparents use to cook for the family and the working staff. Walls are cement screed too. After 30 years of 'abuse', the cement screed flooring and walls are still good. And the beauty of it is that it doesn't date.

I grew up in that shop house and I don't remember that the flooring ever having a powdery feel even though I may be only 10 then when we first moved in.

As for ease of maintenance, I thought it was a breeze. My grandparents are too busy with the shop business to be much bothered with cleaning the place. My aunts would just do the usual mopping. We didn't polish the floor for sure. :D

Now that we are getting our HDB apartment done, we are all for the cement screed finish.

The entire unit floor will be cement screed except the utility rooms. The kitchen, laundry and toilet walls will be cement screed too. The remaining walls will be plastered and painted.

We believe our perfectionist principal designer knows what we are looking at for cement screed and knows how to achieve it. We were there when he was in discussion with his foreman about the cement screed and were pleased to hear that he will be doing the mixing of the cement screed himself in order to be sure that it's the way he wants it done. Such a perfectionist.

Even cement screed for toilet walls? Would the walls get mouldy easily? I know that painted walls in toilet is no no, but cement screed, hmm... :unsure:

BTW, my house has cement screed for the 2 bedrooms when I bought it. Always feel dusty when I walk on it with bare foot :dunno: I went for laminated flooring in bedrooms now.

Even cement screed for toilet walls? Would the walls get mouldy easily? I know that painted walls in toilet is no no, but cement screed, hmm... :unsure:

BTW, my house has cement screed for the 2 bedrooms when I bought it. Always feel dusty when I walk on it with bare foot :dunno: I went for laminated flooring in bedrooms now.

Oh...sorry to hear that your bedroom floors have the dusty feeling. :( Was the cement screed done by the HDB when you bought the flat?

We have the walls cement screeded too.

We can't be sure if cement screed walls are more prone to mould growth and mildew.

I suspect if it does, it's probably due to poor ventilation.

The tiled bathrooms in our previous rental were well ventilated and I didn't have any problem with mould growth or mildew.

The tiled bathroom in our current rental is not well ventilated and the bath tub area can get pretty disgusting at times. Well, not just the bath tub area.....can you imagine, there are mould growth on the rims of the toiletries! :furious: Yucks! Mould growth on the caps of the pedicure scrubs that I left on the side of the bath tub. :bangwall:

Yes, it was the cement screed done by HDB. The first owner did not do anything to it. After years of wear & tear, it has cracks and holes here & there. When I bought over it, I decided to go for laminated flooring.

So, cement screeded walls with no paints at all? That's cool.

I didn't touch my bedroom's walls & floors due to budget constraint. The next time, I think I will try cement screeded walls & floors too. Heehee, hope my bf will sing the same song as me :P

Yes, ventilation is very important for bathroom. I am lucky cos the small windows of my toilet & bathroom are both facing the east, every morning, sunlight will shine in thru the windows & dry up as much moisture as possible.

Cracks and Holes

We have considered the possible cracks and holes. We would have a pool table in the lounge and one of our biggest concern was that the occasional miscue would send the ball out of the table, onto the floor and possibly damaging the floor. We thought it was rather smart of our ID to suggest creating sections of flooring that you see with this pix:-

080709%20cement%20screed%20lounge%201593

As the renovation progress, we are pleased to see how the cement screed flooring is turning out. Tom took some pixs and I organized them as an email attachment to the ID, telling him that we are super pleased with how he had arranged the metal strips:-

080706%20cement%20screed%201460%20.jpg

Yes, it was the cement screed done by HDB. The first owner did not do anything to it. After years of wear & tear, it has cracks and holes here & there. When I bought over it, I decided to go for laminated flooring.

Dating Tiles *hehehehe*

One thing we both agree is that tiling tends to date a place and decided that we will have the cement screeded walls without paint until one day that we might feel inspired to paint it like GWC toilets. :) And then the one day might also come for us to remove all the paint and do something else. So in a way, we can have a new look every few years. ;)

Here's a pix of the laundry area with a partial view of the kitchen: -

080713%20-%20kitchen%20laundry%201656.jp

So, cement screeded walls with no paints at all? That's cool.

Singing the same songs

Indeed, singing the same song would be the ideal scenario. Anyway, when you want to do the cement screed, you could drop us a line or bookmark this thread and I will let you know then how it has been for us. :sport-smiley-018: I have enabled the email notification of replies and hopefully I'll remember to come back to this thread to share in years to come.

I didn't touch my bedroom's walls & floors due to budget constraint. The next time, I think I will try cement screeded walls & floors too. Heehee, hope my bf will sing the same song as me :P