Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
melting_starz

Raven & Starz's Rumah Kecil~

We balloted for the flat last year and it's like striking lottery, we actually managed to get a 4 room flat in Jalan Membina! Although my preferred choice is Toa Payoh, I think Jalan Membina would also be a nice place to stay in cuz it's convenient... 8| In the end, we choose a unit facing the road and mid-level after much consideration...

It was quite memorable to collect the keys on 14 Feb, which was also Valentine's day and so coincidence that it was my company's orientation for newbies like me... Shocked to see the whole bunch of keys after signing watever paper that was presented to us... (expecting to see 2 keys only) :dunno:

We actually rushed over to our place right after collecting the keys... The place just look like any other unrenovated flats posted on this forum... At that point, I still can't believe that I bought a flat. Is that a dream? :sport-smiley-004:

Did a quick check on that day and went back on a Saturday to check the defects. It was tiring and certainly very disappointing to see so many defects. :dunno: My first thoughts were "Aren't these flats supposed to be new? Now haven even move in, already spoilt? Spent so much money on a defect-ful flat?" :bangwall:

That's all for my first entry! Will update pics once I go and find out how to post pics... hahaha :notti:

*gotta wake up 6am for work tomorrow* :bow:

Edited by melting_starz

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Updates on the renovation:

1. basic renovation signed which includes flooring, painting, ceiling & kitchen... kitchen, is really a big headache... :dancingqueen: really dunno what shld i expect... why issit so ex? should i do a cheap one since i am not a professional housewife? :bleah:

2. defects in the flat........should be completed at least 80%? (i haven went to new hse since the day i went to check defects) :bleah: updates came from my very hardworking bf who has been going to JM almost everyday during lunch hour and after work...

3. went to P*l*ce L*g*ts with recommendation from contractor and bought 90% lights required for the house... oh my, i never knew that there are so many lights needed in one house... and its so ex!:)! bought a ceiling fan as well... the fan is in gunmetal colour... sounds so cool! will try to find the pic and upload if possible... heehee

4. cement man is coming to screed the bedroom floors this week and we gotta select laminates by this week as well... laminates... the lady in the shop tells me that kronotex laminates mostly are out of stock and recommended me to take up exquisite laminates (the one with a bear picture)... although heard about the good quality of kronotex, the colours dont seem to be very nice? somemore we are choosing from those square blocks of samples... how to imagine it will look nice ler? :bleah: we ask the lady to bring the big planks of wood to show us instead...

Random pics taken by my bf~

The ceiling of the passageway... haha looks very bright~!

06032008120.jpg

At the foyer, looking from living room... the kitchen & common area is gloomy...

06032008128.jpg

Thanks everyone! I will try to keep u updated about the reno... heehee hope to see everyone in JM soon~

Edited by melting_starz

1. basic renovation signed which includes flooring, painting, ceiling & kitchen... kitchen, is really a big headache... :) really dunno what shld i expect... why issit so ex? should i do a cheap one since i am not a professional housewife? :)

2. defects in the flat........should be completed at least 80%? (i haven went to new hse since the day i went to check defects) :bleah: updates came from my very hardworking bf who has been going to JM almost everyday during lunch hour and after work...

3. went to P*l*ce L*g*ts with recommendation from contractor and bought 90% lights required for the house... oh my, i never knew that there are so many lights needed in one house... and its so ex!:bleah:! bought a ceiling fan as well... the fan is in gunmetal colour... sounds so cool! will try to find the pic and upload if possible... heehee

4. cement man is coming to screed the bedroom floors this week and we gotta select laminates by this week as well... laminates... the lady in the shop tells me that kronotex laminates mostly are out of stock and recommended me to take up exquisite laminates (the one with a bear picture)... although heard about the good quality of kronotex, the colours dont seem to be very nice? somemore we are choosing from those square blocks of samples... how to imagine it will look nice ler? :bleah: we ask the lady to bring the big planks of wood to show us instead...

Thanks everyone! I will try to keep u updated about the reno... heehee hope to see everyone in JM soon~

Hi starz,

Hehe, think u bought your lights from the same shop as me.. how did u find it? Care to share how much you got for all the lights? :)

I bought a ceiling fan from there too.. it works great up till now too :P

:dancingqueen:

1. basic renovation signed which includes flooring, painting, ceiling & kitchen... kitchen, is really a big headache... :P really dunno what shld i expect... why issit so ex? should i do a cheap one since i am not a professional housewife? :P

Melting_Starz, my kitchen quote (re-hack+laying of tiles, cabinets, whole lot) came up to $10k. Same like you, i'm not a prof housewife. zz Take comfort in it. zz

Hi starz,

Hehe, think u bought your lights from the same shop as me.. how did u find it? Care to share how much you got for all the lights? :)

I bought a ceiling fan from there too.. it works great up till now too :(

:notti:

Hi simpleboi,

did u go there on your own? bought everything there? we went there with my bf's relative... how i find it ar... dunno hoh... cuz the lights are not installed yet... :o

i think if i nvr rem wrongly, its ard 1.5K... bought square shaped lights (those used for false ceiling), cant rem how many le... cuz they looked at the floorplan and recommended us to buy the quantity... debating fiercely about dining light and common bedroom lights cuz my bf was not very satisfied with the selection there... still thinking where to buy nice (but not ex) lights ar... our master bedroom and passageway also using the square lights... but master bedroom has four more rectangle lights which are to be fixed on the side of the false ceiling, effect's like cove light but will not store dust... hamburger light we bought for home shelter... two white round lights for toilets and two stainless steel round lights for kitchen, both designs are very simple... and the fan is also plain design, dun have patterns on the part of blades near the stem... oh ya, and the foyer light hoh, also din buy... heehee

actually i dunno whether with my poor description, wld u understd wat i am saying... will take pics when the lights come... :P

Melting_Starz, my kitchen quote (re-hack+laying of tiles, cabinets, whole lot) came up to $10k. Same like you, i'm not a prof housewife. :notti: Take comfort in it. :D

wah... 10k just for the kitchen? geez, i would love to see your kitchen pic! is your renovation completed? well, i have decided that even though my work is so busy and i have to work long hours, i shall try my best to learn how to cook nice dishes so tt i can cook on weekends... haha that's according to my mum's suggestion cuz she thinks its too ex and unhealthy to eat outside le... :P that would make me a semi-pro housewife...

I had not confirmed which contractor. That's just from 1 of the contractors which we are keen with. But will most prob look at another 1 or 2 and then decide. :notti:

The defect list ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :bleah:

1_main_door.jpg

I dunno wat happened to my main door but its full of scratches and paint dots... therefore, its taped with lotsa masking tape for decorative purpose... haha

2_peeling.jpg

peeling at one of the bedroom doors...

3_not_fixed_to_wall.jpg

issit just us or everyone is having this problem? when we tried to plug our hp charger into the socket... the pin holes are very tight but the socket itself is loose? feels as though the socket is gonna come out anytime if we pull harder...

4_too_slant.jpg

probably cant tell from the pic but the socket is slanting quite badly... from one look, u know its not straight...

5_covers_are_too_close.jpg

the distance between the covers are so close that they cannot be closed or open easily...

oh no! the other half of defect list will be updated next time le... cuz of image restriction... time for bed, i shld be slping at 930! :rofl:

I had not confirmed which contractor. That's just from 1 of the contractors which we are keen with. But will most prob look at another 1 or 2 and then decide. :)

oh, is yours a resale flat? cuz u mentioned about hacking of tiles in kitchen... take your time to choose... must choose someone u feel comfortable and can trust...

actually i quite like classic kitchen from katong... if you are only doing kitchen, you can ask them for a quote... they only do carpentary... so wet works have to engage contractor... cuz for me, i already signed with one ID company so chances of me doing classic kitchen is not high... but was really impressed by the person who served me... thats my personal opinion~

Edited by melting_starz