Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mud3210

Basic Things To Know Abt Renovation

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

HI everyone, Just giving my 2 cents worth.

Mud3210, i got a 1.8m by 1.2m for abt 450 at the glass/mirror shop near sungei road. It is near the stretch of bathroom accessories shops next to Sungei road. I got another quote from an industrial mirror shop, quoted abt 480.

I agreed with those guys who said you pay a higher price for the service of the ID. I just finished my renov. Along the way, there are some problems, some becos the foreman of the company has bad attitude, which i was unaware of, others are just wrong works done by works. Ended up, a lot of the contractors had to come bac and rectify the wrong things. However, only abt half is due to this foreman. the tiles guys came in abt 4 times, painters abt 4 times too, glass work guys 3 times, and the house is acid-washed 3 times. And mind you, all these counts besides the washing, are for RECTIFICATIONS only. And all these are all arranged by the ID. So engaging ID will save you some trouble.

... the tiles guys came in abt 4 times, painters abt 4 times too, glass work guys 3 times, and the house is acid-washed 3 times. And mind you, all these counts besides the washing, are for RECTIFICATIONS only. And all these are all arranged by the ID. So engaging ID will save you some trouble.

Hi all, just for the record, all my few IDs quoted me $400 to even $700! for a 5x8 ft mirror and i've called up many many mirror contractors and a few reasonable quotes i gotten ranges frm $200-300 to do a frameless 5mm thick mirror with another 5mm plywood backing, sealed with white silicon. (the most outrageous i got is $1200++ frm a direct mirror contractor.. omg..) this cost is inclusive of delivery (by lift) and installation and NO GST! woohoo!... and u can choose u wan them to stick it on ur tiled bathroom wall or hang it...

according to research, hanging may crack ur wall tiles and pasteing will also risk ur wall tiles falling off with the mirror! some uncles even rejected doing wall-to-wall mirrors for me in the bathrooms, saying given their 30 over years of instaling-mirror-experience, mirrors in bathrooms will not last more than 2 years, but.. im still gg ahead with it, since so many ppl doing it lahh...

sanjing: im not doing any painting, glass, acid wash leh... mainly carpentary. so maybe my problems will be lesser bah.. :rolleyes:

Edited by mud3210

hmmm anyone got pic to show what is mirror with backing? didnt noe mirror will fall off after sometime.

me also gg to do something like wall to wall mirror. dun really noe the technical aspects of mounting it though...i think mine's gonna be stuck to the wall. not like those with hollow space btw the mirror and wall type with cove lightings inside.

hmmm anyone got pic to show what is mirror with backing? didnt noe mirror will fall off after sometime.

me also gg to do something like wall to wall mirror. dun really noe the technical aspects of mounting it though...i think mine's gonna be stuck to the wall. not like those with hollow space btw the mirror and wall type with cove lightings inside.

ehh, i think when they say wall to wall, it means ur left and right side of the mirror is wall... not mean u stick it on wall.

mirror with plywood backing, thebacking comes in a few thickness, some is 10mm, 5mm, 3mm.

i heard, if too thick and not mounted wall to wall, it will be heavy for the wall tiles and ugly if u can see the wood frm the side. if too thin, and ur mirror is big piece, it may become wavy and unstable...i also not too sure.., different contractor telling me different things.

but if put in bathroom, the edges must seal with silicon to prevent moisture /water frm getting in.

Mud

possible to advise a reasonable cost for a full length mirror?

eg 7 foot mirror

have read through some of the recommendations but not sure of the quality

Anybody can recommend any good quality/reasonable mirror supplier?

saw some in the other posts but have not gotten any quotations yet

thanks

Mud

possible to advise a reasonable cost for a full length mirror?

eg 7 foot mirror

have read through some of the recommendations but not sure of the quality

Anybody can recommend any good quality/reasonable mirror supplier?

saw some in the other posts but have not gotten any quotations yet

thanks

price is know is ard $5 psf. so if ur mirror is (7 feet x 1 feet)x $5 =you get the amount.

(inclusive of 3mm plywood backing and delivery and install, No Gst charge).

but maybe they wont charge u so cheap if u just doing 1 piece (i probably got that rate as im doing 3 big pieces). coz also need to pay the worker to specially deliver .

prices are all in yellow pages, just keep calling and ask... i nt recommanding any suppliers/contractors, coz i dunno their workmanship yet., but if u got the cash, i know a very expensive supplier/contractor u can go to... they wanted to charge me $1.4K for a mirror that i was quoted as low as $250. hiak hiak :curse:

btw, got 1 uncle told me they use quality mirror frm belgium, not taiwan mirror... but i dun think anyone can tell the diff lah... the belgium mirror he quoted me was REALLY EXXX.. ard $800-900 for 5x8ft. and of coz tat is a nono la

Edited by mud3210

ok mud thanks

and the uncle always bs nowadays

all made in china or taiwan or thailand lor

heard also got some made in malaysia but not sure of quality

thanks anyway

price is know is ard $5 psf. so if ur mirror is (7 feet x 1 feet)x $5 =you get the amount.

(inclusive of 3mm plywood backing and delivery and install, No Gst charge).

but maybe they wont charge u so cheap if u just doing 1 piece (i probably got that rate as im doing 3 big pieces). coz also need to pay the worker to specially deliver .

prices are all in yellow pages, just keep calling and ask... i nt recommanding any suppliers/contractors, coz i dunno their workmanship yet., but if u got the cash, i know a very expensive supplier/contractor u can go to... they wanted to charge me $1.4K for a mirror that i was quoted as low as $250. hiak hiak :curse:

btw, got 1 uncle told me they use quality mirror frm belgium, not taiwan mirror... but i dun think anyone can tell the diff lah... the belgium mirror he quoted me was REALLY EXXX.. ard $800-900 for 5x8ft. and of coz tat is a nono la

U can try Eunos industrial. I saw there are a few shops making custom glass or mirror but i dunno how ex or cheap are they coz I never step in to ask for a quote. Anyway, mud3210 u got any contractors to recommend to do wet works? Electrical?

U can try Eunos industrial. I saw there are a few shops making custom glass or mirror but i dunno how ex or cheap are they coz I never step in to ask for a quote. Anyway, mud3210 u got any contractors to recommend to do wet works? Electrical?

ahh, i dun think i wanna ask ard anymore... preety sure i cannot get less than the $5psf one liao lah, for the record, i been calling ALL the glaziers and glass companies in yellow pages to ask for quote.. there are more than 100 companies.. so if ppl are hardworking (or crazy, like me) enuff, you'll also be able to find out which is the company that quoted me so low hee :deal:

im not doing any wet works, so i dunno wat is tht.. and electrical also... those items that need to be touch up, i prefer to let some reputable ID/construction firm do, rather than sub-out, coz i scard they will not do complete job.

i did calculate (if i am not wrong), for example, my false ceiling, if i just get a external false ceiling guy to do, will only cost less than $100, but all my contractors quoted me ard $1K, but becoz i need lighting behind the false celing as well, so if do by myself, i have to liaise w the electrician and false ceiling man? like very troublesome.. might as weel let an ID handle these kind of coordination work.

im not sure if anyone has coordinated these kind of things by themselves though.. maybe those of u who did can share ur experiences? tia~

Edited by mud3210

...would u also recommend that i leave the mirrors to the contractor?

thanks

if u got $ better let the main contractor handle evertthing, save the hassle, if no $ (like me) find direct mirror contractor to do for u lor

Does anyone knows why isst when ppl say false ceiling is $2 - $2.50 psf,

and my false ceiling is 5ft x 5ft but my ID doesnt charge me $2.50 x (5x5) = $62.50

(btw, my false ceiling got 8 downlights, but installation of new lightpoints ($30 each) and labour to install lighting ($8 each). Both are seperate costs on the quotation, ntohing to do with false ceiling works, i assume)

my ID charges me $490 for a 5x5 ft false ceiling, sommore not painting my false ceiling for me!! WHY why why!!!! T_T :(

Hi MUD...saw your signature about your platform bed, exclude the mattress? What is the dimension? From your id?

Does anyone knows why isst when ppl say false ceiling is $2 - $2.50 psf,

and my false ceiling is 5ft x 5ft but my ID doesnt charge me $2.50 x (5x5) = $62.50

(btw, my false ceiling got 8 downlights, but installation of new lightpoints ($30 each) and labour to install lighting ($8 each). Both are seperate costs on the quotation, ntohing to do with false ceiling works, i assume)

my ID charges me $490 for a 5x5 ft false ceiling, sommore not painting my false ceiling for me!! WHY why why!!!! T_T :(