Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
patsy_sg

Renovation For A Brand New Condo

We're moving to a brand new condo in July, minor reno needed mainly for the living room and the master's bedroom. I've approached a few ID firms, their replies ranged from "oh, sure, we're interested, even if it's a small job" then submit something totally outrageous from what we had asked them to do. Or that kind of reno is too small for our firm to the other extreme of you don't need to spend that money..... it's so frustrating!!! I can't even get into the mood to start a blog here coz am so stressed finding the someone to do the house.... :bangwall::bangwall:

any advice/tips??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi hobbes, problem is, I'll need an ID to help me with space planning, coz i'm bring quite a bit of inherited furniture and artwork with me!

try find more companies?

few years ago i was helping my mum to search ID company for a living room divider. found 3 shops quoting me price of $1k+. Some are willing to do these type of small projects. i managed to get Gplan to do the divider but worksmanship is extremely bad. One good thing is that ID every year send me birthday card hoping 1 day i will ask them to do a big project

hi yang guo, yeah, think that's my only option, but both hb and I travel a lot for work... so don't really have a lot of time :dunno:

a friend has recommended a carpenter, but i still need someone to help me figure out where to put our current furniture!

try find more companies?

few years ago i was helping my mum to search ID company for a living room divider. found 3 shops quoting me price of $1k+. Some are willing to do these type of small projects. i managed to get Gplan to do the divider but worksmanship is extremely bad. One good thing is that ID every year send me birthday card hoping 1 day i will ask them to do a big project

hi yang guo, yeah, think that's my only option, but both hb and I travel a lot for work... so don't really have a lot of time :dunno:

a friend has recommended a carpenter, but i still need someone to help me figure out where to put our current furniture!

yup..getting a recommended carpenter is a wise choice, good luck to your reno :yamseng:

hi patsy_sg, if u figured out what u intend to do for living & master-bedroom? for new condo it is already in move-in condition, u probably want to keep it simple as it's still under "1-yr warranty"? i think getting a freelance ID to do space planning and a carpenter/contractor is probably better than going to ID company who will most likely chop you. I also suggest staying home to jagar the work.

hi latitude, would really prefer to have someone like project manage the reno coz hb and I both travel extensively (i.e. he's in India now, I am working out of the JB office this week, next week I have to fly to Jakarta for 2 days)... so don't really have time to jagar the contractor! That's why I would also want to hire someone who is really dependable! Scared when I come home my house may look like a disaster area!!

i think u are taking the reno too lightly, and even the best contractor/ID will deliver a disaster to u.

U have an idea of costs, that is why u now feel the quotes are high. U dun have time to share your ideas, which means the ID need to second guess what u want. Chances are, there will be tons of miscommunication and rework.

If u want someone to guide u, those ppl charge ard $15K for consultancy alone, and even then.. they won't bother about existing furniture. If u have an opinion, is best to spend time to put it down on paper, rather than expect others to think for u.

hi yoongf, actually, i've taken the time to sit down and discuss with the ID firms what I want and what I need, and have been very firm about the budget that we are expecting. I never said I wasn't going to spend the time listing out what our thoughts are, just that we may not have the time to visit the site everyday... I have even printed out pictures of our furniture and emphasized a few times that I wanted to bring these over and they need to design around it. My frustration is that most of the ones I've spoken to don't seem to listen!!!

Put it this way..

Most retail IDs are in reality, mass market project co-ordinators using standard templates. Given their business model, they cannot afford to deviate much from menu based industry practices. (little customisation).

If u are looking for those really true professional IDs, it's something like this company which does big developer showflats.

http://www.index.com.sg/projects.htm

yeah, that's the dilema, proper designers find the project too small, but the common ID firms can't seem to think outside of the box....

Put it this way..

Most retail IDs are in reality, mass market project co-ordinators using standard templates. Given their business model, they cannot afford to deviate much from menu based industry practices. (little customisation).

If u are looking for those really true professional IDs, it's something like this company which does big developer showflats.

http://www.index.com.sg/projects.htm

Honestly. .. I have seen your blog. That is a lot of old school furniture u plan to bring in. Given that theme and the amount of existing furniture, there is not much an ID can value add. The items will fill out every inch of the living/dining walls, leaving only the bedrooms to do. toilets and kitchen also nothing to do.

Retail IDs earn a cut from what they supply. It's not so much about thinking out of the box, but rather the realities of doing biz. If there is a line item.. consultancy/proj Mgt = $15K, unlikely ppl will accept.

So.. most IDs will then consider only do bedroom ID.. that alone may not be worth their while.

what i just need is the following:

1. master bedroom side tables, dressing table, extra storage/tv area, half height head board

2. study room tables and shelves

3. tv console in the living room plus some shelves

4. extra kitchen cabinets

5. large stainless steel sink in the wet kitchen

6. timber planks for planter

7. 1.2 X .06 m mirror near the main door

i've been very specific when I speak to ID's so they know what I want, but they still send me a quote with a full height 3 m feature wall for living room come with mirrors and laminate finish etc, etc etc...

what i just need is the following:

1. master bedroom side tables, dressing table, extra storage/tv area, half height head board

2. study room tables and shelves

3. tv console in the living room plus some shelves

4. extra kitchen cabinets

5. large stainless steel sink in the wet kitchen

6. timber planks for planter

7. 1.2 X .06 m mirror near the main door

i've been very specific when I speak to ID's so they know what I want, but they still send me a quote with a full height 3 m feature wall for living room come with mirrors and laminate finish etc, etc etc...

i have an ID friend always doing condo i think he will be keen to take up the job. PM me if u need his contact