Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hobbes187

Aircon Compressor Diy Improvement

I had some plastic film used to wrap industrial machines and had a crazy idea. I noticed that the insulation on my aircon compressor is exposed. So are the 5 metal taps on the side of the compressor. Being on the highest floor, they are subjected to even more sunlight and rain since there is less shade. Prolonged exposure to the elements will result in cracking and wearing of the insulation and poorer aircon performace. I observed that almost all installers leave the insulations exposed when they can do something to protect it.

DSC_0204_resized.jpg

DSC_0203_resized.jpg

So I climbed out onto the aircon ledge and wrapped the insulation with a few layers of the plastic film. I think it will at least be able to keep it dry and increase its lifespan. I also draped a piece of film over the taps to reduce the amount of rain water that may get in contact with it. I took care not to block any vents so the compressor should not be affected in any way.

What do u guys think of my little DIY? Will it affect the aircon adversely?

P1040345_resized.jpg

P1040347_resized.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Aircon pipes to the room consist of 2 pipe, 1 is hot pipe, 1 is cold pipe. Is not logical to insulate the hot pipe together with the cold pipe.

To increase lifespan of the insulation, is to wrap the insulation with those reflective alunimium duct tape, or use aluminium foil.

I think you may be right. After some further consideration, I think water getting trapped inside is a possible problem. Think I will go remove the plastic this weekend. Have to go back to the drawing board then...

Thinking of using a cardboard to act as a shield/shade instead. Maybe with aluminium wrapping to reflect heat... That'll be the next DIY.

Aircon DIY Update

After much consideration, I removed the plastic film I used last week and replaced it with a reflective sunshade that was left unused in my car for some time. I think this is a better method at preventing the insulation from being exposed to sunlight. The sunshade is designed for prolonged use in the sun so will be able to withstand the heat. Hopefully, this will help slow down the wear and tear in the exposed insulations.

So any comments on this one?

P1040351_resized.jpg

P1040352_resized.jpg

Outdoor weathering of any insulation material that will be subject to the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation, ozone and oxidation is a concern. Where UV exposure is severe, flexible closed-cell elastomeric thermal insulation must be protected from light degradation with a UV resistant coating, mastic or jacketing depending on the environment and the application. Elastomeric products will become stiff, harden and crack when exposed to UV.

Edited by DSA

No need to waste time and effort with protecting the exposed parts. Left on it's own, your fancoil and condensing unit has a much higher chance of spoiling, long before the weather damages the connections. Better to concentrate on regular maintenance of your aircon.

It's like protecting the paintwork of your car in order to make the engine last longer. Useless.