Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rumi

Did You Build A Base For Your Washer And Fridge?

Hi,

I have not started my renovation, but would like to know how many of you DID NOT build a base for the washer and fridge? As i think washer and fridge base is usually in the default package or must haves in the kitchen cabinet reno uness u are doing a suspended kitchen cabinet.

For those who did and did not have a base for fridge and washer, could you advise why u did or did not build it? understand some pple say is to make washing of kitchen floor easier and not touch the applicance or make it wet. but unless u are using a hose.. basic mopping won't actually wet them right?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

This topic has been discussed several times. If you browse around, should have some ideas liao.

Anyway, I did not get my contractor to build a base for my w/m & fridge. The reason is simple, they are just a waste of $$ to me. Normal mopping is not going to spoil the base of your electrical applicances.

Don't understand why building of the base is still available in the default package, don't those IDs realise that this concept is already out-dated? :unsure:

Once built you cannot really re-size or re-locate your washer. However, it's rather good if it complements the rest of the kitchen area for floor wash if everything can be made to be above a certain height.

hihi.. is there a different base for washer and fridge if my idea is to place them side by side..with my cabinets

is like kitchen cabinet base then fridge then washer. they are placed side by sided.. so i thought can just build continuous base.I don't have a yard area.. small kitchen everything got to squeeze in kitchen.

If I don't want a base for washer and fridge. it will just a a base for kitchen cabinet then baseless fridge then baseless washer.

no offense - i find it redundant.

most pple are just - monkey see monkey do - without further consideration of the good/bad/needs.

1) nowadays who still washes their kitchen like hawker centre style? water splashing all over, scrubbing..etc?

2) nowadays fridge do not last 20yrs - if your current fridge kaputz - you are RETRICTing yourself to buy only a fridge that can fit into the base.

3) how many pple actually had accidentally land their foot onto the base's edge? I had.

At first when I asked my mother why she needs a fridge base. she said is for washing the kitchen floor. After I questioned her further on not being able to clean the top of the base where u place the fridge. collect dust as well and also did she use a hose to flood the kitchen for washing... she agreed that yah. is not necessary to build a fridge base as u will likely to just mop on the floor.

Also mum did not cater to a washer before renovation and it was years later before we bought a washer.. the current waasher is placed on the floor without a base & my mum don't find it a problem mopping the floor.

Actually i just want to find out how others are doing it. I asked ID and they say is for washing lor. haha also feel a bit monkey see money do.

At least if i don't do base for fridge and washer.... i can save some money...

Washing

I suppose it did make alittle difference when it comes to washing the kitchen floor when there is a concrete base.

In our previous rental, we were provided with a small fridge which sits on the concrete base. We have a 2 doors 2 drawers Panasonic fridge and that sat on 4 plastic blocks.

Whenever we washed the kitchen floor, we have to be more careful not to splatter water to the base of the fridge. I suppose we can't be sure if that might cause rusting. I'd very much preferred to have the Panasonic fridge sit on a concrete base too but it was a rented apartment thus we can't do much.

Pens love gaps

Currently, we have the fridge placed in the dining area as our current rental has a small kitchen.

You can imagine my frustration when the clumsy me accidentally drop the piece of paper which I intend to put on the fridge with a fridge magnet and the piece of paper slip underneath the fridge!! :furious:

I won't be surprised to see a few pens and whatnots underneath the fridge when we move in the coming weeks.

The washer sits on 4 plastic blocks at the laundry area as the owner of the flat did not make a concrete base for their washer then. The width of the laundry area is just nice the width of our washer and it's difficult to look for stuff that have accidentally rolled under the washer.

We will have concrete base :dancingqueen:

Anyway, after staying 6 years in different rental, we know what works for us and what don't. We will have concrete base and save our sanity trying to retrieve stuff under the fridge or the washer.

Fridge change

I asked that question to our ID recently when we were looking at the concrete base that the workers had constructed. My concern weren't so much of the concrete base but of the cabinets that will be on both sides of the fridge. Well, I suppose it's part and parcel of built in cabinets and if we have to change a fridge for whatever reasons, we can choose to get a fridge that fits into the space. If we have to change to a fridge that can't fit, then it can't fit. An excuse to revamp the kitchen in 10 years time? :dancingqueen: *hehehehee*

Even with a base. the fridge don't sit totally flat on the base. there is still a space underneath that things & dirt/dust will get into it. I mean i see most fridges come with 4 mini legs/rollers.

i have based for kitchen cabinets

but no base for washer or fridge

1. i don't want to be restricted by the size of the base when i change appliances

2. i will not be washing the kitchen floor often, and there are the legs on the fridge that can be adjusted so that the fridge is further away from the kitchen floor

3. i don't want to pay for something i don't want/need :yamseng:

At first when I asked my mother why she needs a fridge base. she said is for washing the kitchen floor. After I questioned her further on not being able to clean the top of the base where u place the fridge. collect dust as well and also did she use a hose to flood the kitchen for washing... she agreed that yah. is not necessary to build a fridge base as u will likely to just mop on the floor.

Also mum did not cater to a washer before renovation and it was years later before we bought a washer.. the current waasher is placed on the floor without a base & my mum don't find it a problem mopping the floor.

Actually i just want to find out how others are doing it. I asked ID and they say is for washing lor. haha also feel a bit monkey see money do.

At least if i don't do base for fridge and washer.... i can save some money...

u mean ur fridge dun have roller? most new fridge comes with roller, so u can just pull it out and take ur stuff. With a base you cant do it, u need a strong macho guy to lift the fridge while pulling it out.

I have not bought my fridge since I have not started my reno yet.

I guess I will not build a base as most fridges come with a rollers behind that can easily push out. With a base, it is very almost impossible to push fridge out yourself to clean the underneath and behind.

I have not bought my fridge since I have not started my reno yet.

I guess I will not build a base as most fridges come with a rollers behind that can easily push out. With a base, it is very almost impossible to push fridge out yourself to clean the underneath and behind.

precisely.

$80-$120 for a base - might as well take the money and go eat seafood till laosai also happy.

I really can't think of the pros for building a concrete base for the fridge. I can think of the cons though, i will have difficulty moving the fridge if i need to do any cleaning.

So why do pple build the base for so many years? or is it for those fridge that do not have legs or rollers? It seems to be part of the standard package for decades.

I think could be due to last time our parents and grandparents time use a hose of water to flood the kitchen floor when washing the kitchen. Like those hawkers do in hawker centres. But nowadays I think a wet mop will do.