Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

Timber Flooring

anyone has experience on how they do this, i was at the house today and i saw my contractor nailing a piece of like "ply" wood onto the concrete floor with nails and then paint something on it. My understanding from them is that they will then lay the timber flooring strips on top of the "ply" wood.

Is this normal? and what is this "ply" wood, will it invite termites?

Thanks.

:dunno:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

That is the standard practice if u want the ethnic kampong feel of hollow wooden floors.

Also done if the floor is concrete floor with no screed. Can't expect the worker to nail the timber strip onto bare concrete slab.

Thanks yoongf. If it is the standard practice, then it is fine. When you mentioned the hollow wooden flooring feel, are you saying there are other types of way to do this?

I did a google on screeding and i guest it is also to insure we have a even, level & smooth surface. As to the type of wood that they use, is that "ply" wood? and will this invite termites?. Thanks

That is the standard practice if u want the ethnic kampong feel of hollow wooden floors.

Also done if the floor is concrete floor with no screed. Can't expect the worker to nail the timber strip onto bare concrete slab.

The most common method of installation is to do cement screed to level, and then glue the timber strip directly onto the screed. During the gluing process, they will hammer nails do ensure that the timber strip will stay down while the glue sets. This method of installation means the floor will be like any other floor treatment, and defect inspection means go ard knocking the floor if got hollow sound means need to inject more glue into the affected area.

But some ppl like hollow feel, like kampong/ kelong/ laminate flooring hollow sound. So the method is to add the plywood underlayer.

But I also noticed.. this plywood method also results in better finish quality, since plywood is much flatter than any cement screed.

Termite problem? Dunno lah.. landed sure got termite problem, is a matter of accepting it. I would be worried if got no termite cos suggest lots of chemicals being used ard.

Thanks Yonggf, was talking to the contractor and here is what they told me, they have screed the floor, the plywood is to receive the timber strip to prevent any un-eveness and also like what you have mentioned here, the feel of hollowness under the timber strip if you do not have the plywood. Thanks.

:notti::sport-smiley-003:

The most common method of installation is to do cement screed to level, and then glue the timber strip directly onto the screed. During the gluing process, they will hammer nails do ensure that the timber strip will stay down while the glue sets. This method of installation means the floor will be like any other floor treatment, and defect inspection means go ard knocking the floor if got hollow sound means need to inject more glue into the affected area.

But some ppl like hollow feel, like kampong/ kelong/ laminate flooring hollow sound. So the method is to add the plywood underlayer.

But I also noticed.. this plywood method also results in better finish quality, since plywood is much flatter than any cement screed.

Termite problem? Dunno lah.. landed sure got termite problem, is a matter of accepting it. I would be worried if got no termite cos suggest lots of chemicals being used ard.

anyone has experience on how they do this, i was at the house today and i saw my contractor nailing a piece of like "ply" wood onto the concrete floor with nails and then paint something on it. My understanding from them is that they will then lay the timber flooring strips on top of the "ply" wood.

Is this normal? and what is this "ply" wood, will it invite termites?

Thanks.

Hi wuga, what did your contractor paint onto the plywood? Is it glue?

The use of plywood in wooden flooring is common in a nail-down installation. Just check that good quality plywood is used instead of cheap, pest-infested ones.

Cheers.

i actually have no idea what they apply. Keeping my fingers cross that they did not give me some infested wood.

:jawdrop:

Hi wuga, what did your contractor paint onto the plywood? Is it glue?

The use of plywood in wooden flooring is common in a nail-down installation. Just check that good quality plywood is used instead of cheap, pest-infested ones.

Cheers.