Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HL85

Our Hg Sweet Nest

IMHO, Prodigic;s feature wall is like a 3D cube so the socket wouldn't look good blending in with 3 D cubes since will stick out even more. But yours is considered neutral, so maybe you can try asking them to shift the 'cut out' area minus the magnetic catch below the tv console? Otherwise, your electronic items will cover that up nicely. :)

Btw, your place looks good too. Not all reno are perfect without hitches and glitches so dun worry too much, see what can be salvaged first so talk it over with your ID.

thanks Bun Bun and everyone for comforting me; thing is, I dont wanna put anything on my tv console, all the dvd players SCV box etc will be inside the console itself.. i dont know what i can put there to hide the cut out.. but im sure you guys agree its very obvious and glaring:( and you know magnetic catches, im not sure how sturdy it will be as time passes, since im plannin to stay in this home for abt ten yrs.. also, the laminate at the edges of the box may come off over time (from personal experience and looking at other homes), so im not comfortable.. guess i will have to discuss with my ID when i get back, but i dont see how he is gonna salvage this situation w/o me being out of pocket of some substantial amt.. and I have already spent alot on this resale renovations..

Btw, my ID is Rick from A&D, i really really hope anyone who was under him or A&D can tell me abt their experience with the tv feature wall..

on a happier note, i will post pix of my shoe/storage cabinet in the LVR and any other pix i can find when im home..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

HIL85, I understand your concerns since its your home and you be living it for a long time. Other homes are done according to individual preference & the level of competency of the ID in qn. So not everything can be the same although it is common to adopt certain reno ideas into one's reno.

Also my suggestion to have the cut out area excluding the magnetic catch below the tv console is one simple way to leave the sockets exposed. (It is indeed troublesome opening & closing the catch all the time & will spoil this way) Another alternative is to hide the sockets inside the tv console drawers where you might want to place your electronic stuff. It would be neat to keep the wires hidden also just like the way hotels having sockets inside their carpentry, like for eg; the socket to plug in the electric jug to boil water or for charging hp. :)

thanks Bun Bun and everyone for comforting me; thing is, I dont wanna put anything on my tv console, all the dvd players SCV box etc will be inside the console itself.. i dont know what i can put there to hide the cut out.. but im sure you guys agree its very obvious and glaring:( and you know magnetic catches, im not sure how sturdy it will be as time passes, since im plannin to stay in this home for abt ten yrs.. also, the laminate at the edges of the box may come off over time (from personal experience and looking at other homes), so im not comfortable.. guess i will have to discuss with my ID when i get back, but i dont see how he is gonna salvage this situation w/o me being out of pocket of some substantial amt.. and I have already spent alot on this resale renovations..

Btw, my ID is Rick from A&D, i really really hope anyone who was under him or A&D can tell me abt their experience with the tv feature wall..

on a happier note, i will post pix of my shoe/storage cabinet in the LVR and any other pix i can find when im home..

Edited by BunBun

shoe cabinet right at the door. we had the foyer tiled in dark grey/black 'rough' tiles. Its 6ft and full height to maximise storage for other stuff too. one door is for umbrellas (with rod to hang them) and put other misc stuff. it hides the electricity box too.

its in the same laminate combi as the tv feature wall.. there is a mirror in one of the doors for me to check my reflection before is step out.. haha..

shoe2np8.th.jpg

shoecabinetincorrectcolij3.th.jpg

hi HL85

my feature wall is like urs (sockets)...i find it ok...will upload pics once my tv is in...

Edited by jeddie

I share your woes. I suggest not to spend anymore money solely to improve on the aesthetics. Maybe you can put some decor items like a high-tech clock, gadget etc in front of the cut-out :yamseng:

Edited by Starscream

Yes, the glass door and glass panels at the kitchen is expensive, cant rem the cost, its in the quote, its def under $2K, but over $1.2k (very big range I know). I will upd when i return, but if you look at the price of a glass shower screen, which is smaller than my kitchen glass, it already costs abt $800 (thats why i didnt install a shower screen - gd choice since no space anyway), so i guess my kitchen glass should be around $1200 - $1500 or so..

You should persuade your hb to install the glass, it will allow more light in (so you save on electricity), and its a classic, timeless look. Plus, there will be an incentive for you to keep the kitchen clean and tidy since its so visible from the rest of the house! Also for me, it is a neccesity to keep the fumes/oil from cooking in the kitchen out of the dining/living area, and I cant find any other feasible way to do so than to install the glass. It has a 'shopping mall' feel to it too! If you are gonna be staying there for at least 8 - 10 yrs, its a worthwhile investment. Just make sure the installation is sturdy and there is warranty on the glass and installation.

Hehe... hope can persuade him bah.. heheh.. I oso tink it's a classic and timeless look.. veli nice.. Hehe.. tks for the estimation on the cost! :)

hi HL85

my feature wall is like urs (sockets)...i find it ok...will upload pics once my tv is in...

Hi Jeddie, really? Who is your ID? Yeah I will look out for your photos.. Hmm.. I stil find it glaring, and I am afraid putting stuff there to hide it may draw attn to it instead..

I share your woes. I suggest not to spend anymore money solely to improve on the aesthetics. Maybe you can put some decor items like a high-tech clock, gadget etc in front of the cut-out :yamseng:

Thanks Starscream, Yeah I dun wanna be out of pocket again, reno is expensive as it is.. I see you are in the midst of hacking your place.. Rem not to make the same mistake as me.. Follow Prodigic's console and feature wall for your carpentry.. I hope other forummers can learn from my oversight too.. :)

Hehe... hope can persuade him bah.. heheh.. I oso tink it's a classic and timeless look.. veli nice.. Hehe.. tks for the estimation on the cost! :)

Angel81, I have checked, the quote for the kitchen glass is $1180, before the overall discount (not alot) applied to my overall renovations done.