Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
chocolatechipmuffin

First Home: Project Reno

hi tym!

yeah- i really like s'goon too! near to my parents & it's a small cozy neighbourhood. i like it much much! :wub: wonder when the shopping mall will be built tho.

Serangoon is a nice neighbourhood, circle line and future shopping centre coming up. I used to stay at blk 323. :yamseng:

hi el23,

i think it's timing ba... it's a smallish estate, so difficult to find... i think we were lucky to be able to find our place too!

where in hougang are you at?

thanks.

I was looking at Serangoon Central, but it was hard to come by. So have to settle for one at Hougang.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hi el23,

i think it's timing ba... it's a smallish estate, so difficult to find... i think we were lucky to be able to find our place too!

where in hougang are you at?

SC small but very convenient, esp with 2 MRT lines in future....

St 21. Getting the keys on 31/8.

Spoke to a few ID but havent seriously consider any yet. At a loss here.

NW has many co under them. Which did you signed with?

st 21? that's really close to kovan mrt right?? :good::good::good:

i really like the kovan area too.. hehe grew up around there!

i signed with the macpherson branch.. our ID is called mike. he seems not bad la.. but like quite busy like tt

fyi: i've uploaded some pics of the freebies they give out on my blogspot. you can go check them out.

their 'agents' tt they deal with are:

- Hafary (tiles)

- Lucky Khoon (Sanitary & kitchen sink/hood/hob)

- Lookz (Sanitary & kitchen sink/hood/hob)

you can go check them out if you interested.

SC small but very convenient, esp with 2 MRT lines in future....

St 21. Getting the keys on 31/8.

Spoke to a few ID but havent seriously consider any yet. At a loss here.

NW has many co under them. Which did you signed with?

Edited by chocolatechipmuffin

i signed with the macpherson branch.. our ID is called mike. he seems not bad la.. but like quite busy like tt

fyi: i've uploaded some pics of the freebies they give out on my blogspot. you can go check them out.

- Hafary (tiles)

Have not signed yet, and i did not go for the package. They are charging me more than 3k for demolition and hacking which is very high since i am doing the kitchen and 2 baths only.

ya i think most impt is to get your contract with your ID as 'set' as possible... even better to set the amount of carpentry you want done in the kitchen!!

we made a few changes to our home layout after signing (hack different wall, do up a different wall), and in our cost revision, we suddenly had a significant cost increase, because there is apparantly more carpentry that needs to be done to cover the pipes (we had thought the costs were already covered last time) due to the pipes being longer or smth. sigh.

best to have everything as clearly spelt out as possible.. coz otherwise, sure :jawdrop: one...

oh yeah: also make sure they tell you what the unit cost of everything is (electrical points, etc etc), so that you know where your money is going!!

- Hafary (tiles)

Hi Nano,

Ya! for pple who don't know: there are veg stalls & a crab stall there which are apparantly really cheap too!

hahhaa

Serangoon Central, very near chomp chomp, plenty of nice food there :good:

wkend:

we finally chose all our lights! think all in good time since reno started today! pics are at my blogspot

today: reno starts

my id said to meet him at my home at 9.30am so the workers can get in. wah. workers only came 20 min later. wanted to speak to my id to inform him of some things i wanted him to take note of, so when he spoke to me & said he 'kuai4 yao4 dao4 le4', i said ok, meet, since you're gonna be here soon. so the workers went to work hacking & making lots of noise & i went downstairs to wait for him

gosh. his 'kuai4' meant another 35mins lah! **** annoying. if i knew, i'd have just taken off liao. waste my time. spent 1 hr just waiting.

anyways, hope the work goes well. *crossfingers*

hi guys. i am using * currently and i have one advise: KEEP A ****** GOOD EYE ON EVERY BIT OF THEIR WORKS, AND DON'T PAY THEM TILL THEY'VE COMPLETED EVERYTHING TO YOUR SATISFACTION!!!

the workmanship we got was VERY SHODDY. so shoddy that i had a 5 PAGE DEFECT LIST that my ID is going through. The worst part is that the ID feels affronted when we put additions to the defect list & told us that the reno will not be done on time if the defect list keeps expanding!!

Here are a list of my grouses with them (ane believe me-there are MORE)

1) Our reno is already more than 3 wks late. We've were promised 6 wks, and we are currently on our 10th wk. And it's always the same thing- 'by next sat, by next sat'. I don't care WHEN it's done, I just want you to have the INTEGRITY TO DO IT WHEN YOU SAY IT WILL BE DONE!!

2) There was so much bad work that we had a 5 page defect list in our home! The ID we had actually insinuated that we were being demanding in having a 5 page defect list. (We typed out all the defects & tagged them with tape all around our hse). But come on, if there weren't so many cracked tiles, holes in grouting, cracked aircon trunking, holes in electrical casing, and stained walls, would any home owner bother to be picky?!?!? FURTHERMORE, an ID is SUPPOSED to LOOK OUT for the customer, and make sure these defects DO NOT HAPPEN! OTHERWISE WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET AN ID?!?!?!? I WOULD JUST GET A CONTRACTER SO THAT I CAN SAVE THE MONEY AND HAVE A SIMILAR AMOUNT OF HEADACHE RIGHT!??!?!?

3) I got an ANGRY call from my neighbour downstairs because apparantly the workers who clean the house just THROW DIRTY WATER OUT OF THE WINDOW- A FEW TIMES THIS MONTH!!! When my bf called the ID to tell give him an earful & tell him to make sure it doesnt happen again- he said that my bf was WRONGFULLY ACCUSING HIS WORKERS & that the water they threw out the window was CLEAN, and just quickly disconnected the line when my bf wanted to say more!!! HOW RUDE IS THAT?!?!?! AND COME OFF IT- you think i was born yesterday and think that your workers suka-suka just fill a pail of CLEAN water to THROW OUT MY WINDOW?!?!?!?!

Edited by chocolatechipmuffin

4) Everytime we point out a defect to the ID he will say the same thing: 'if you want, i will change it for you loh'. and that is usually followed with a fake laugh. MACHAM YOU ARE DOING ME A FAVOUR?!?!? COME ON NOW- I PAID FOR IT TO BE DONE PROPERLY. IT IS NOT *'S FIRST DAY ON THE JOB, SO WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DEFECTS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?! FURTHERMORE, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT CORRECTING DEFECTS ARE SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE DOING ANYWAY!!!!

5) The solid surface we chose for our vanity was the WRONG COLOUR- apparantly because '2007 colour different from 2008 colour', and my ID- the person who's supposed to be DEALING WITH ALL THESE, asked the solid surface supplier to call me. The solid surface supplier called me, and said they DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG because it was the RIGHT COLOUR CODE THAT WAS GIVEN TO THEM, and that it shouldn't matter because the COLOUR WAS ALMOST THE SAME. Again. I WAS NOT BORN YESTERDAY and I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SANDY AND **** BROWN!! After raising my voice at him, they finally decided to change the solid surface for me.

for those who already signed with this company, pls pls pls take pictures & samples of everything you choose so that you have proof, and keep an eye on the work done. I don't know if my ID with * is gonna wake up his idea anytime soon but am prepared to have to be demanding to get what should be done done. am starting to do research on CASE & HDB complaints already to get to know what my options are if they give me more grief. hope you don't have the same experience that I do.

oh my goodness that sounds really terrible

and to think i was deciding between NW and ho bee

ho bee was a little more pricey but heng i didn't take NW :bow: :bow:

oh my goodness that sounds really terrible

and to think i was deciding between NW and ho bee

ho bee was a little more pricey but heng i didn't take NW :bow: :bow:

oh dear.. sounds like you are really having a hard time with ur ID.. 5+ yrs ago when I first did reno, I also kanna 1 ****ty ID... i know how u feel.. mine end up having to get lawyer to write letter to them....

Hope your situation will be able to resolve soon.

Hi chocolatemuffin, so sad to see so many complains... I was following up on your reno and looking forward to the finishing look! But anyway 'jia you' and go all the way to claim your rights to get the defects fixed. Good luck! :sport-smiley-003:

Just to prove my point, I'm posting some of the worst pictures here. There is no space for all, and many of the defects were repetitive anyway. But just to showcase the work done at my place, here goes:

Rusty steel nails used for taps instead of stainless steel ones

ghimpics010ec9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Holes between electrical switch boxes & casing. (I only took one picture, but it was like that throughout the hse!)

ghimpics013yj0.th.jpgthpix.gif

Dents on the newly plastered walls. (all over hse)

ghimpics017vz6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Electrical casing corners with holes due to shoddy workmanship. Almost everywhere the casing has to have a corner, sure to have these ugly holes.

ghimpics023ej8.th.jpgthpix.gif