Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Celestine Jen

Problem With My Tv Signal

HI Everyone,

Last week, our HD TV arrives and they have checked on the TV. Soon they install our HD TV onto our wall but we realize our ID have not install the TV point. So we not able to check on the signal...

Today finally they have install the TV point to our wall and we went over to check.

Realize we can't recieve some channel clearly like Channel U, CNA...etc. But for Channel 8 & 5 is alrite. When we switch to those channel could see shadow and lines ard the TV..

What could be the problem? Cables?

What can i do to improve the problems? Pls helps.......

Thank alot for ur advise....

Edited by Haze02

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
HI Everyone,

Last week, our HD TV arrives and they have checked on the TV. Soon they install our HD TV onto our wall but we realize our ID have not install the TV point. So we not able to check on the signal...

Today finally they have install the TV point to our wall and we went over to check.

Realize we can't recieve some channel clearly like Channel U, CNA...etc. But for Channel 8 & 5 is alrite. When we switch to those channel could see shadow and lines ard the TV..

What could be the problem? Cables?

What can i do to improve the problems? Pls helps.......

Thank alot for ur advise....

checked with yer neighbour ? read somewhere that if the TV point relocation was not done by Starhub's contractor they'll charge a fee to check the prob if you call 'em up...

checked with yer neighbour ? read somewhere that if the TV point relocation was not done by Starhub's contractor they'll charge a fee to check the prob if you call 'em up...

Hi Gnomish,

We have not check with our neighbour leh. Often they not at home, quite hard to see them.

Today my HB have call the Starhub.

They saying a charge of $40 will be needed to ask them over to check. Haiz....

Duno they able to solve the issue even they come over anot...

Hi Gnomish,

We have not check with our neighbour leh. Often they not at home, quite hard to see them.

Today my HB have call the Starhub.

They saying a charge of $40 will be needed to ask them over to check. Haiz....

Duno they able to solve the issue even they come over anot...

Hi,

How many TV points do u have? For some cases, if there are too many TV points, this will affect the quality of the TV signal. Reason is that there maybe only 1 main SCV point that were spilted into many different points. One soultion is to buy a booster from SCV. Another possible reason is that the wire is not properly lay. Ask ur contactor to use another wire & test with ur TV. See whether silimar problem occur. If so, this proven that there is no problem with the wire. For my case, I need to buy the booster which cost abt $150 to reslove this problem. Hope this may help u.

Edited by andy_sg_123

Hi,

How many TV points do u have? For some cases, if there are too many TV points, this will affect the quality of the TV signal. Reason is that there maybe only 1 main SCV point that were spilted into many different points. One soultion is to buy a booster from SCV. Another possible reason is that the wire is not properly lay. Ask ur contactor to use another wire & test with ur TV. See whether silimar problem occur. If so, this proven that there is no problem with the wire. For my case, I need to buy the booster which cost abt $150 to reslove this problem. Hope this may help u.

no wonder starhub is aka the fat green tube.... greedy everything charge $$

Hi,

Hi Andy,

Our house orgnial had 4 TV point, inculding our 3 bedroom. We shifted 2 TV point. If we only use 2 TV point, the quality also will be affected?

Today our masterbedroom's TV hv been fit, and the problem face again on the masterbedroom. Haiz..

We have called the Starhub and they will be coming to see the problem.

Heard from the installer, Starhub will charge each point leh. That mean we might need to pay alot. Haiz...

Wondering will the problem cause outside the house wiring.. seems like some places in SG can't recieve clear signal from channel U..etc.

Thanks for ur idea... will ask my ID to use another wire to test the TV.

Actually TV signal is one of the hardest thing to troubleshoot, cos got so many equipment involved, and many things are under differnt ppl's charge.

What u describe.. shd be related to problem with UHF. Channel U, CNA and SCV box.. are all on the UHF band, while Channel 5, 8 are on VHF band. (I assume u did the full auto tuning thing on yr TV hor) cos VHF auto turn first, then auto tune UHF. See if can bring to neighbour house to test if TV tuning is ok.

Ok lah... this is how to troubleshoot.. test if is signal strength problem. Go to junction box.. remove all the connection.. just leave 1.. connect direct to TV.. see if TV works. if is ok.. then chances are.. got to many connections, need cable booster from StarHub. Eh.. I hope cabling is also certified StarHub cabling.. not some old uncle do for u kind, cos those cheap white cables dun work with StarHub.

If is not ok, then chances are.. problem is related to whole building, that is why need to check with neighbours to see if the cable system is ok.

Hi Haze02,

Yoongf is correct, never use the white wire, if your contractor use it, ask them to replace it. You also need to ensure that the wire connect to the TV is not in white colour type. Worst come to worst, I think you should feedback the problem to your ID since they are the one who provide the rewiring service. Let them reslove your problem before clearing all the outstandings with them.

Hope your problem will be reslove soon......

Actually TV signal is one of the hardest thing to troubleshoot, cos got so many equipment involved, and many things are under differnt ppl's charge.

What u describe.. shd be related to problem with UHF. Channel U, CNA and SCV box.. are all on the UHF band, while Channel 5, 8 are on VHF band. (I assume u did the full auto tuning thing on yr TV hor) cos VHF auto turn first, then auto tune UHF. See if can bring to neighbour house to test if TV tuning is ok.

Ok lah... this is how to troubleshoot.. test if is signal strength problem. Go to junction box.. remove all the connection.. just leave 1.. connect direct to TV.. see if TV works. if is ok.. then chances are.. got to many connections, need cable booster from StarHub. Eh.. I hope cabling is also certified StarHub cabling.. not some old uncle do for u kind, cos those cheap white cables dun work with StarHub.

If is not ok, then chances are.. problem is related to whole building, that is why need to check with neighbours to see if the cable system is ok.

Hi Yoongf,

Thanks for the info.

Now and then our neighbour alway not at home, very hard to get to them. Even they at home, they alway shut the door so i duno they ard anot. Very hard to check with them. Haiz...

Abt the VHF band, i not very sure abt it, it the person who install our TV tat select those channel.

I only see them using all kind of nums and scan thru the channel. I know they not using auto select function.

Tis weekend i will go and use UHF band and try it out. Thanks alot!

Our ID's electrican did went outside of the house and check the main box. That time only 1 TV in the house but the problem still the same.

Our electrican ask us to call Starhub and saying Starhub have a things to check the wiring. Electrican saying, if it the wiring problem then the rest of the channel will have the same problem, so he very sure it not his wire problem.

Anyway i dun believe in him loh. Will ask starhub to check it instead.

We have let our ID know abt tis issue, if it the wire problem then they will change it.

One thing for sure is there are 2 ways of receiving TV signals to our hse TV.

1) Starhub cable

2) MATV. Mediacorp rooftop antenna

Try connecting individually to the sources and see if either one fails.

If both shows the same, it could be your internal cable.

I also had signals problems with my Samsung LCD TV, i was contemplating bringing the TV to my parents place to test.

But luckily it was not needed.

But for sure, it was one **** of a tedious ordeal for me..

For once, i was worried could it be the tapped TV point problem??

And the cable is underneath the floor tiles...Lucky it wasn't...

Hope your problem can be solved soonest...

One thing for sure is there are 2 ways of receiving TV signals to our hse TV.

1) Starhub cable

2) MATV. Mediacorp rooftop antenna

Try connecting individually to the sources and see if either one fails.

If both shows the same, it could be your internal cable.

I also had signals problems with my Samsung LCD TV, i was contemplating bringing the TV to my parents place to test.

But luckily it was not needed.

But for sure, it was one **** of a tedious ordeal for me..

For once, i was worried could it be the tapped TV point problem??

And the cable is underneath the floor tiles...Lucky it wasn't...

Hope your problem can be solved soonest...

Hi Porkypig,

We hopefully after the starhub person come over and everything will be solve.

If the problem still show the same, then it could be my ID's electrican problem.

Haiz.... now dun even know where the problem came from. Headache....

yup..

Starhub ppl came twice to my hse.

First was only a technician..

The second time, a big group of ppl visit..think must be those engrs try to know what is the problem and probably learn from there..

ohh another thingy, i requested them to bring a LCD TV here to verify..

maybe you can try asking them to do the same..

chEErs man.. hope the problem quickly goes away..

yup..

Starhub ppl came twice to my hse.

First was only a technician..

The second time, a big group of ppl visit..think must be those engrs try to know what is the problem and probably learn from there..

ohh another thingy, i requested them to bring a LCD TV here to verify..

maybe you can try asking them to do the same..

chEErs man.. hope the problem quickly goes away..

Thanks for ur info pockypig.

Does they come and solve the problem for the first visit?

Dun wish to pay for double the cost just to solve that issue...

Today my HB call the starhub and they die die can't give us a date to see the problem. They say have to wait and wait until the technican ard our place then they will come. How can they expect us last min rush to our house to open the door for them. On last friday we have call them and they keep saying will ask the technican to call us, until today we still didnt recieve any calls. Finally after argue with them, they promise will be coming on thurday. Haiz.....

Thanks for ur info pockypig.

Does they come and solve the problem for the first visit?

Dun wish to pay for double the cost just to solve that issue...

Today my HB call the starhub and they die die can't give us a date to see the problem. They say have to wait and wait until the technican ard our place then they will come. How can they expect us last min rush to our house to open the door for them. On last friday we have call them and they keep saying will ask the technican to call us, until today we still didnt recieve any calls. Finally after argue with them, they promise will be coming on thurday. Haiz.....

3rd visit solved...2nd visit postpone to 3rd...

And we solved it together :bleah: ...the signal interference was due to my Panasonic Dect Phone..

My samsung LCD TV is almost brand new except panel is not changed. :notti:

no...no.. you just have to pay the charges just once only..they will hv to solve the problem..

this was what the person had told me.. so don't kena con..

For me, the person from the call centre serving me was nice leh..fixed an appt and technician just came down.

Hope all this info helps...