Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

We are thinking of installing a WIW for my MBR. Below is the layout. The blue line is the sliding door and the orange area is the cabinet. We are planning to remove the toilet door but keep a shower screen.

wiw.jpg

I would like to seek your advice on the following:-

a. Will there be problem with moisture from the toilet creating problem with our clothes?

b. We intend to use laminate for flooring at the MBR, will there be problem with moisture as well?

c. Any mitigation? Will a ventilation fan help?

Thanks for sharing...

James

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

By removing the toilet door, u need a lockset for ur WIW... (Privacy issues)

By having a lockset at WIW, the other party can't access to the wardrobe... (Practical issues)

No locksets = No privacy

Moisture is not really a big issue bcs u're ain't sauna-ing in ur toilet.. ^^

Gd ventilation is really a MUST for ur case...

Imagine u're doing 'big business' in there, OMG, can't imagine the 'perfume' being spray onto ur clothes... Hahaha

Edited by de_Pierre

Hmm.. I have 3 contractors telling me that WIW just next to the toilet will have problems in the future. Such as mould in the WIW and on clothes (cuz increased in moisture level) and worst case the wood may even rot. In the end, that was why I decided not to do WIW.

If 3 different contractors from 3 different companies also tell me the same thing, then it should be true right? :P

actually WIW cabinet can be built, but whether do you want to waste electricity. Built a fan.. I am not sure what is it call... but it is still on the wall panel, not ceiling inside the bathroom. (can absorbed moisture one)

Or else the other way is you have to closed your bathroom door at all times. Do not to used bi-fold door, used solid teak wood door.

Edited by kewin

Hmm.. I have 3 contractors telling me that WIW just next to the toilet will have problems in the future. Such as mould in the WIW and on clothes (cuz increased in moisture level) and worst case the wood may even rot. In the end, that was why I decided not to do WIW.

If 3 different contractors from 3 different companies also tell me the same thing, then it should be true right? :P

That is precisely my concern. I've seen others posting floor plan with WIW next to the toilet and was hoping for someone who has done it to share their experience as well. Thanks for all the input!!

i oso bulit a wiw in mi mbr..bt i ask for a glass door so no matter wat the door of the toilet is always close to prevent the moisture...but everyting is all imagination..still waiting for the wiw to b up..

the concern is toilet being a wet area, and WiW being a dry area. And if toilet's water proofing is not done properly, then over time, where the water proofing is breached, then water will leak thru and ruin the WiW.

Suggestions:

1) Make the toilet purely a dry toilet i.e no bathing, just do biz. + install ventilation fan

2) change the toilet door orientation to open to the bedrm instead of open to WiW. But then your sliding door to WiW will have a problem, unless u use other types of doors.

Hi, I am having my WIW leading to the Master Bathroom too. Will install a ventilation fan and also have a frosted glass door. As to the possibility of water leaking from the bathroom into my WIW....wah...I don't want to think so far. Life is short. Think will cross the bridge when I get there. Bottom line is, that possibility is not that high lah. Unless sway to the max... :notti: After all, for logistic reasons (especially to a woman)...it makes sense that the WIW and bathroom being next to each other, creates a smooth flow for cleaning and dressing up.

Hi, I am having my WIW leading to the Master Bathroom too. Will install a ventilation fan and also have a frosted glass door. As to the possibility of water leaking from the bathroom into my WIW....wah...I don't want to think so far. Life is short. Think will cross the bridge when I get there. Bottom line is, that possibility is not that high lah. Unless sway to the max... :notti: After all, for logistic reasons (especially to a woman)...it makes sense that the WIW and bathroom being next to each other, creates a smooth flow for cleaning and dressing up.

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you face any mould problem? Possible to share picture of your WIW and the ventilation fan?

I would like to seek your advice on the following:-

a. Will there be problem with moisture from the toilet creating problem with our clothes?

b. We intend to use laminate for flooring at the MBR, will there be problem with moisture as well?

My X-owner had a very damp smell in the walk-in wardobe even though it is not near the toilet at all... but there was a small window that faces the aircon compressor. I think to have a walk-in wardobe, ventilation is very important.

My cousin also put WIW next to toilet, she didn't put any toilet door neither WIW door... anyway, she always complain that her clothes damp damp one...

Think you can get those ventilation fans, Think KDK always advertise in mags...

As for laminates, my mum's house has it. You got to keep it very very dry... or get a long and thick floormat that can absorb water. My mum went to but those ikea round mats and in the end, the laminates start to pop up slowly as it must be kept moist and my silly maid, when wash toilet, got the front area damp and in the long run, I tell you also I think very funny... outside my mum toilet laminates, near the side of the door grow mushrooms... Many times already... My dogs keep sniffing them...

... outside my mum toilet laminates, near the side of the door grow mushrooms... Many times already... My dogs keep sniffing them...

I like the mushrooms part... LOL.... :good:

Will reconsider laminates though.

I have my WIW from Closet Design built just beside the toilet similar to the layout above with Laminate flooring and Ventilation fan in the toilet. For the past 6 months there is no problems except Booklice found in the WIW due to the moisture, so i added a few of those cheap non electrical dehumidifier's around the WIW to see how it will help.

Most important is to always open your sliding door when you are done and when you are out of the house to air the WIW, and always on the ventilation fan during and after ur bath for about 30mins before switching it off to remove as much moisture as possible. DO NOT close the toilet door to prevent moisture, ur toilet will stink when you wanna open the door and use it.

I attached a few pictures for u to see, may not help much too.

WIW with the toilet inside (on the right side)

wiw_1door.jpg

wiw_b.jpgTOILET IS HERE

Ventilation Fan (in the toilet)

KDK_Fan_done.jpg

I have my WIW from Closet Design built just beside the toilet similar to the layout above with Laminate flooring and Ventilation fan in the toilet. For the past 6 months there is no problems except Booklice found in the WIW due to the moisture, so i added a few of those cheap non electrical dehumidifier's around the WIW to see how it will help.

Most important is to always open your sliding door when you are done and when you are out of the house to air the WIW, and always on the ventilation fan during and after ur bath for about 30mins before switching it off to remove as much moisture as possible. DO NOT close the toilet door to prevent moisture, ur toilet will stink when you wanna open the door and use it.

I attached a few pictures for u to see, may not help much too.

[

Dracula, thanks for sharing.... nice wiw.

I heard it is difficult to get ride of booklice, what did you do to get ride of it?

Dracula, thanks for sharing.... nice wiw.

I heard it is difficult to get ride of booklice, what did you do to get ride of it?

Booklice is almost impossible to get rid of, the only way i read was to keep the place dry and free of books, papers and boxes.

Until today, it is still lurking around and have welcomed them as part of our family... Hehehe... :notti: