Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mamaliz

When Shud I Source Out For Reno Quotations?

HI!!

IM A NEWBIE HERE BUT HAVE BEEN 'DISCREETLY' READING AND GUSHING :dribble: OVER ALL THE RENO PICS HERE.....CANT WAIT TO START ON OUR OWN .....HEHEHE.... :sport-smiley-004:

CURRENTLY STAYING IN OUR FIRST HOME IN AMK AND NOW WAITING FOR OUR FIRST HDB APPOINTMENT ON 6TH FEBRUARY '09.....PLAN TO DO SOME RENOVATION WORKS FOR THE RESALE FLAT WE'RE BUYING BUT NOT SURE ON WHEN AND HOW TO START GETTING AN ID/RENO COMPANY....

SO....CAN ANYONE HELP US OUT STEP BY STEP....WHILE WAITING FOR 1ST APPT, IS IT OK TO GET QUOTATIONS OREADY?? HUBBY VERY KAN-CHIONG AND EXCITED....BUT ME FEELS ITS TOO EARLY LEHHH....

AND HOW ABOUT THE SINKS/HOB+HOOD/TUB/TOILET BOWLS/TAPS....LIGHTS....ETC?

TIA!! CHEERS!

!

Wah... ur caps give me headache sia...

anyway, we getting our place around 2 weeks earlier than you. We did things in the following order but that's just my suggestion:

1) I think first you need to have some idea of the house you want - i.e. any specific themes, any layout changes that you need, open concept kitchen, etc. Can read renotalk for pros and cons of the different things. Just some basic idea, no need to be an expert. Otherwise, if u visit ID/Contractor with no idea what you want, the discussion will not be constructive and they also think you dont know anything, so can chop carrot.

2) Read the forums and visit ID's homepage to shortlist a few recommended IDs. There will be a few where you REALLY like the designs and some where you QUITE like their designs. Visit those that you QUITE like first to get a feel of how things go when working with an ID and what to look out for. Suggest you visit their office and not exhibitions. Exhibitions sure kena hard sell cos they got sales target to meet. As suggested by Yang Guo, do not sign anything. Just ask them to quote.

3) Look through the forums for recommendation on things that needs to be fixed already like Aircon, Ceiling Fan, Hood, Hob, Build in Oven, Basin, WC, Storage Heater, etc. Cos once you confirm the ID, either they will give you free (and u need to know if what they give u is ok) or you can get them to fix for you. Anyway, you need to know the dimensions for the carpenter to prepare the space.

4) Visit more IDs. Some forummers visit 20, some visit 3. Depends on how much time you have. Do visit at least 3 and get quotes from at least 5 (some can do via email) before finalizing.

5) Once ID and layout confirm, then I will source for furniture since it depends on the space planning and whether you want carpentery or off the rack solution for things like bed, dining table, etc. You might want to get more things off the rack due to budget constraints.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Wah... ur caps give me headache sia...

anyway, we getting our place around 2 weeks earlier than you. We did things in the following order but that's just my suggestion:

1) I think first you need to have some idea of the house you want - i.e. any specific themes, any layout changes that you need, open concept kitchen, etc. Can read renotalk for pros and cons of the different things. Just some basic idea, no need to be an expert. Otherwise, if u visit ID/Contractor with no idea what you want, the discussion will not be constructive and they also think you dont know anything, so can chop carrot.

2) Read the forums and visit ID's homepage to shortlist a few recommended IDs. There will be a few where you REALLY like the designs and some where you QUITE like their designs. Visit those that you QUITE like first to get a feel of how things go when working with an ID and what to look out for. Suggest you visit their office and not exhibitions. Exhibitions sure kena hard sell cos they got sales target to meet. As suggested by Yang Guo, do not sign anything. Just ask them to quote.

3) Look through the forums for recommendation on things that needs to be fixed already like Aircon, Ceiling Fan, Hood, Hob, Build in Oven, Basin, WC, Storage Heater, etc. Cos once you confirm the ID, either they will give you free (and u need to know if what they give u is ok) or you can get them to fix for you. Anyway, you need to know the dimensions for the carpenter to prepare the space.

4) Visit more IDs. Some forummers visit 20, some visit 3. Depends on how much time you have. Do visit at least 3 and get quotes from at least 5 (some can do via email) before finalizing.

5) Once ID and layout confirm, then I will source for furniture since it depends on the space planning and whether you want carpentery or off the rack solution for things like bed, dining table, etc. You might want to get more things off the rack due to budget constraints.

oops :dancingqueen: ......kekekekeke...jus in case im not LOUD enough mahhh....kekeke

ur getting 2 wks earlier...? meaning ur 1st apptment is 2 wks earlier than me issit? anyway wanna ask...do anyone know roughly how far apart is the 1st appt to the 2nd apptment?

ps: i be getting the hse quite late cos made contract with seller to let them stay 6wks more....haiz...

in regards to the IDs....hubby plans to start next wk....plan to attack 5 renos..... :help:

oops :dancingqueen: ......kekekekeke...jus in case im not LOUD enough mahhh....kekeke

ur getting 2 wks earlier...? meaning ur 1st apptment is 2 wks earlier than me issit? anyway wanna ask...do anyone know roughly how far apart is the 1st appt to the 2nd apptment?

ps: i be getting the hse quite late cos made contract with seller to let them stay 6wks more....haiz...

in regards to the IDs....hubby plans to start next wk....plan to attack 5 renos..... :help:

ya, around 2 weeks earlier.

1st appt - 2nd appt is around 6-8 weeks according to my agent.

hi!

have already started my reno-t blog chat~...hehehe....do visit that blog....tanx....

kennyho...

yup...took us along time to think if the id we want is him..in fact we read a lot on feedbacks to see if there' any complains from here....even the day we first met him ...still we try to pin point if any mistake...hahahaha....

but eventually we "fall" for his un=pressuring ways...n signed....lets hope everything goes smoothly from here on... :D

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...mp;#entry373359

my reno t-blog