Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mamaliz

When Shud I Source Out For Reno Quotations?

HI!!

IM A NEWBIE HERE BUT HAVE BEEN 'DISCREETLY' READING AND GUSHING :dribble: OVER ALL THE RENO PICS HERE.....CANT WAIT TO START ON OUR OWN .....HEHEHE.... :sport-smiley-004:

CURRENTLY STAYING IN OUR FIRST HOME IN AMK AND NOW WAITING FOR OUR FIRST HDB APPOINTMENT ON 6TH FEBRUARY '09.....PLAN TO DO SOME RENOVATION WORKS FOR THE RESALE FLAT WE'RE BUYING BUT NOT SURE ON WHEN AND HOW TO START GETTING AN ID/RENO COMPANY....

SO....CAN ANYONE HELP US OUT STEP BY STEP....WHILE WAITING FOR 1ST APPT, IS IT OK TO GET QUOTATIONS OREADY?? HUBBY VERY KAN-CHIONG AND EXCITED....BUT ME FEELS ITS TOO EARLY LEHHH....

AND HOW ABOUT THE SINKS/HOB+HOOD/TUB/TOILET BOWLS/TAPS....LIGHTS....ETC?

TIA!! CHEERS!!

scan0002copyax5.th.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
HI!!

IM A NEWBIE HERE BUT HAVE BEEN 'DISCREETLY' READING AND GUSHING :dribble: OVER ALL THE RENO PICS HERE.....CANT WAIT TO START ON OUR OWN .....HEHEHE.... :sport-smiley-004:

CURRENTLY STAYING IN OUR FIRST HOME IN AMK AND NOW WAITING FOR OUR FIRST HDB APPOINTMENT ON 6TH FEBRUARY '09.....PLAN TO DO SOME RENOVATION WORKS FOR THE RESALE FLAT WE'RE BUYING BUT NOT SURE ON WHEN AND HOW TO START GETTING AN ID/RENO COMPANY....

SO....CAN ANYONE HELP US OUT STEP BY STEP....WHILE WAITING FOR 1ST APPT, IS IT OK TO GET QUOTATIONS OREADY?? HUBBY VERY KAN-CHIONG AND EXCITED....BUT ME FEELS ITS TOO EARLY LEHHH....

AND HOW ABOUT THE SINKS/HOB+HOOD/TUB/TOILET BOWLS/TAPS....LIGHTS....ETC?

TIA!! CHEERS!

!

scan0002copyax5.th.jpg

Is your new home a RESALE or NEWLY BUILT flat? :dunno: I assume you have already seen you new home.

Any specific defects?(Gotta take Note leh) :jawdrop:

If you already got your floor plan and roughly know what u want. you could get quotation from ID/Reno firm. Remember to calculate out your budget for your renovation. :deal:

Set aside ~$10K for the furniture, electrical appliance, lighting, sanitary ware, kitchen ware, etc...

Always no harm to get quotations first, since you already got floorplans.

Even if the actual reno is a few wks/mths away, its always better to be informed and list out the IDs/contractors that you like.

I know of people who even do a spreadsheet to compare 10-over quotations, months before they start reno!

How to choose IDs/contractors? Well after visiting a few, you will realised a certain 'market price' for certain items. Then you will realise they use the same few materials/brands. So what does your selection that boils down to?

Its the 'feel' of that ID, that sales designer who will be in-charge of your case, whether attentive enough and whether can 'click' with you or not. If s/he does not even know what you want, then be sure to encounter alot more problems when reno starts.

Is your new home a RESALE or NEWLY BUILT flat? :dunno: I assume you have already seen you new home.

Any specific defects?(Gotta take Note leh) :jawdrop:

If you already got your floor plan and roughly know what u want. you could get quotation from ID/Reno firm. Remember to calculate out your budget for your renovation. :deal:

Set aside ~$10K for the furniture, electrical appliance, lighting, sanitary ware, kitchen ware, etc...

HI...TANX FOR THE QUICK REPLY.....SEEN THE RESALE FLAT BUT DEFECTS? WELL NOT REALLY SURE ABT THAT....WE HAVE PLAN AND KNOW WHAT WE BASICALLY WANTED AND ALSO WHAT WE WANTED JUST TO BEAUTIFY THE PLACE UP....ACTUALLY HUBBY EVEN DID A "MUST DO" "MIGHT DO" "IF ABLE" TO DO LIST FOR THE RENOS....HEHEHEHE

SO ITS ACTUALLY OK FOR US TO START SOURCING OUT NOW HUH........WELL, BETTER EARLY THAN NEVER THEN...... :sport-smiley-003:

Since you got an idea what and how you want to design. Now is the time to go Look Look See See. Also go to reno ID firms and ask for quotation now based on what you have roughly know. Things must change must change, like toilet WC.. LOL

Always no harm to get quotations first, since you already got floorplans.

Even if the actual reno is a few wks/mths away, its always better to be informed and list out the IDs/contractors that you like.

I know of people who even do a spreadsheet to compare 10-over quotations, months before they start reno!

How to choose IDs/contractors? Well after visiting a few, you will realised a certain 'market price' for certain items. Then you will realise they use the same few materials/brands. So what does your selection that boils down to?

Its the 'feel' of that ID, that sales designer who will be in-charge of your case, whether attentive enough and whether can 'click' with you or not. If s/he does not even know what you want, then be sure to encounter alot more problems when reno starts.

ERR........OVER 10 QUOTATIONS...... :jawdrop: OMG!!......NOW ME NOT SO EXCITED ANYMORE ABT VISITING THAT MANY IDs.....KEKEKEKEKE.......HMMMMM.....BUT I DID LIST A FEW ID COMS...THAT IVE BEEN READING UP HERE AND HAVE AN INTEREST TO SEE THE QUOTATIONS FROM THEM...MAYBE THAT MIGHT MAKE THINGS EASIER???

FEEL......YUP..HAVE DISCUSS WITH HUBBY REGARDING THE FEEL FACTOR, COS HUBBY CAN/ONLY WILL TALK MORE IF HE CONNECTS WITH THE PERSON......SHUD BE EASIER FOR ME TO GAUGE THAT FROM HIM THEN....HE TALKS MORE....HE LIKES...HE TALKS LESS HE DONT LIKE ......HEHEHE

OK.....HUBBY SHUD BE HAPPY TO HEAR THAT ITS OK TO GO OUT N GET QUOTATIONS NOW...... :deal:

TANX U ALL...... :thumbs up:

- set budget first. eg. $20k for reno. $15k for furniture. You decide which you area want to focus at (good furniture or u prefer more build in furniture). Do a spreadsheet on the furniture that u roughly need. I did my furniture spreadsheet first, then slowly go shop at the electrical appliances and see the market price of the items.

- Shop around 5-10 reno companies. You can roughly see the market price of an individual item. Dont sign on the spot so fast.

- summarise ur quotation on a spreadsheet. Narrow down your choice to abt 3 companies. Then individually go down to their completed flat and see the worksmanship

- remember dont be pressurised by those reno companie's agressiveness.

- look for reno books to see what kind of design do you want

Since you got an idea what and how you want to design. Now is the time to go Look Look See See. Also go to reno ID firms and ask for quotation now based on what you have roughly know. Things must change must change, like toilet WC.. LOL

YES!!YESS!!! WE'RE GOING FOR THE LOOK LOOK SEE SEE........hehehehehehe....toilets n wc confirm i want change.....cos we're the 3rd owner lehhh......

1 question....IS IT BETTER FOR US TO GET THE WC...SINKS...TAPS...ALL THOSE APPLIANCES ON OUR OWN...RATHER THAN LETTING THE ID PUT IT ALL ON PAPER AND W EPAY TRU THEM...?

1 more question....ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF PLACES THAT HAVE GOOD BARGAINS AND QUALITY FOR THOSE ITEMS???

TANX!!!

- set budget first. eg. $20k for reno. $15k for furniture. You decide which you area want to focus at (good furniture or u prefer more build in furniture). Do a spreadsheet on the furniture that u roughly need. I did my furniture spreadsheet first, then slowly go shop at the electrical appliances and see the market price of the items.

- Shop around 5-10 reno companies. You can roughly see the market price of an individual item. Dont sign on the spot so fast.

- summarise ur quotation on a spreadsheet. Narrow down your choice to abt 3 companies. Then individually go down to their completed flat and see the worksmanship

- remember dont be pressurised by those reno companie's agressiveness.

- look for reno books to see what kind of design do you want

hmmmm....roughly if we need to have an overhaul for a 4a2 flat...90sqm......what would be the ideal budget?? we're not to sure on how much to put the budget on.....i mean if the ID were to ask how much would be our budget.....should we reduced our ACTUAL one to a lesser amount....?

furniture first? then reno spreadsheet? hmmmm.....what i can say for myself is that i prefer a non-build in furnishings.....

hubby and i both get easily manipulated by salepersons......so this time round maybe we need to hold on each other for dear life when talking to the IDs.....hehehehehe....we're talking abt thousands of moolahs being spend here...... :help:

ok...will do our best not to be pressured....and read up more and source our for furnitures too.........

hmmmm....roughly if we need to have an overhaul for a 4a2 flat...90sqm......what would be the ideal budget?? we're not to sure on how much to put the budget on.....i mean if the ID were to ask how much would be our budget.....should we reduced our ACTUAL one to a lesser amount....?

furniture first? then reno spreadsheet? hmmmm.....what i can say for myself is that i prefer a non-build in furnishings.....

hubby and i both get easily manipulated by salepersons......so this time round maybe we need to hold on each other for dear life when talking to the IDs.....hehehehehe....we're talking abt thousands of moolahs being spend here...... :help:

ok...will do our best not to be pressured....and read up more and source our for furnitures too.........

hmmm..not easy to set the estimate budget till you have the first 2 quotation first

u can either set aside a budget for the reno first,then the remaining goes to the furniture (vice versa).

Remember not to exceed budget cos most pple will exceed budget and buy too expensive stuff

hmmm..not easy to set the estimate budget till you have the first 2 quotation first

u can either set aside a budget for the reno first,then the remaining goes to the furniture (vice versa).

Remember not to exceed budget cos most pple will exceed budget and buy too expensive stuff

hmmmm....ok then...have to get the quotations first horr...expensive stuff as in furnishings? well.....hubby can keep track of that for me,...hahaha.....hopefully we can do things smoothly!

hmmmm....ok then...have to get the quotations first horr...expensive stuff as in furnishings? well.....hubby can keep track of that for me,...hahaha.....hopefully we can do things smoothly!

ya furnishing.. cos for me, when i go shop for furniture, i will tend to buy things impulsively. Me and my wife is the "love at first sight" person. When we love a particular piece of furniture, we will straight away buy. then realised that actually there are many many furniture that is as nice and also cheaper. So we got a lesson learnt, never buy at first sight.

heheh u will be v busy for the next few months shopping le...

happy shopping :yamseng:

YES!!YESS!!! WE'RE GOING FOR THE LOOK LOOK SEE SEE........hehehehehehe....toilets n wc confirm i want change.....cos we're the 3rd owner lehhh......

1 question....IS IT BETTER FOR US TO GET THE WC...SINKS...TAPS...ALL THOSE APPLIANCES ON OUR OWN...RATHER THAN LETTING THE ID PUT IT ALL ON PAPER AND W EPAY TRU THEM...?

1 more question....ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF PLACES THAT HAVE GOOD BARGAINS AND QUALITY FOR THOSE ITEMS???

TANX!!!

U better don't let the ID or contractor do the buying. Some ID earn commission while buying from a certain shop and the profit goes to their pocket. It is best if u get it yourself. But for WC measurement u need to get it from the ID 1st.

It would be best if you could buy all your sanitary ware from a single shop, so that u could bargain for a better

price. Eg. I got all my sanitary ware from INDULGE.

But it would be good if u explore other shop to compare prices and quality.

Eg. GR-link , poh joo, royal franco :unsure:

Then those lighting wise i would recommend u to take a look at Point-One. :sport-smiley-003:

Their lighting price is reasonable.

U better don't let the ID or contractor do the buying. Some ID earn commission while buying from a certain shop and the profit goes to their pocket. It is best if u get it yourself. But for WC measurement u need to get it from the ID 1st.

It would be best if you could buy all your sanitary ware from a single shop, so that u could bargain for a better

price. Eg. I got all my sanitary ware from INDULGE.

But it would be good if u explore other shop to compare prices and quality.

Eg. GR-link , poh joo, royal franco :unsure:

Then those lighting wise i would recommend u to take a look at Point-One. :sport-smiley-003:

Their lighting price is reasonable.

OK...so its better to get on our own, looks like its gonna be a verry busy period from now on.....need to do so many things!!

tanx for the examples of places to check...tanx!!