Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hihihi

Wish To Learn How To Change The Gate's Locking Mechanism

69100475.jpg

I am looking to DIY the locking thing with maybe DURO brand de. Is it to unscrew the 2 screws in Pic#3, then can take out the locking thing? Coz in Pic#1 & Pic#2, the thing is riverted into the gate. Pls advice, thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
69100475.jpg

I am looking to DIY the locking thing with maybe DURO brand de. Is it to unscrew the 2 screws in Pic#3, then can take out the locking thing? Coz in Pic#1 & Pic#2, the thing is riverted into the gate. Pls advice, thanks.

I'm DIYing my gate lock recently too. For Pic #3, you need to unscrew it and see if Pic #1 comes out also. If not, you need to drill off the 2 rivets on Pic #1. For Pic #2, you need to drill off the rivets. Take care of the rivet holes when drilling if you do not want to make the job complicated. Make sure you don't enlarge the holes when drilling. I think 4mm to 4.5mm drill bit should do the job.

After you take out all 2 parts, it becomes very clear how it works and how to replace them. If you do not want to drill or modify another hole for the rivets, bring your existing lock set to the hardware shop and ask for exact replacement. There's many types of locks with different hole locations available outside. The same type of lock will cost around $60 a set.

Lastly you need a rivet gun and some rivets to complete the job.

Good luck!

Edited by turbo123

69100475.jpg

I'm DIYing my gate lock recently too. For Pic #3, you need to unscrew it and see if Pic #1 comes out also. If not, you need to drill off the 2 rivets on Pic #1. For Pic #2, you need to drill off the rivets. Take care of the rivet holes when drilling if you do not want to make the job complicated. Make sure you don't enlarge the holes when drilling. I think 4mm to 4.5mm drill bit should do the job.

After you take out all 2 parts, it becomes very clear how it works and how to replace them. If you do not want to drill or modify another hole for the rivets, bring your existing lock set to the hardware shop and ask for exact replacement. There's many types of locks with different hole locations available outside. The same type of lock will cost around $60 a set.

Lastly you need a rivet gun and some rivets to complete the job.

Good luck!

hi the procedure is actually simpler than wats descript above. all u need to do is refer to the video that i film of myself changing the lock cylinder (the mechanism which u insert the key into). the lock cylinder in the video comes with a knob for turning from inside the door, but wat u need is one with the key insert on both side.

Edited by sotong1977