Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aubrey

Retrospectrum Meets Modernisation!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

well, uncle explained to me that what was used for my kitchen cabinets, is also solid plywood. there's lots of types of solid plywood. the one that is layered (like 9 layer kueh) and the one used here. both are ok for use, but once compared, the "blockboard" loses out to the layered plywood. it is less resistant to water than the layered plywood but all wood are not hardy once in contact with water.

all that uncle said tallies with my carpenter uncle's statement. but i didnt get to speak much cos my mom was talking to him too.

well, uncle explained to me that what was used for my kitchen cabinets, is also solid plywood. there's lots of types of solid plywood. the one that is layered (like 9 layer kueh) and the one used here. both are ok for use, but once compared, the "blockboard" loses out to the layered plywood. it is less resistant to water than the layered plywood but all wood are not hardy once in contact with water.

all that uncle said tallies with my carpenter uncle's statement. but i didnt get to speak much cos my mom was talking to him too.

So u manage to ask him y he did not use the layered one instead?..can understand de...once got elderly ard...most of them they are speaking more than us...wahahahaha

Glad uncle is making the changes for you. Aubrey, maybe you should coax your mom to go and had a good nitght's rest so that you can clear whatever doubts you have to ask Uncle :P

:muse: so does that everyone doing/did reno with Uncle have this type of wood for their kitchen cabinet?

Did you ask him if there is any price difference between the two? Blockwood cheaper or same price?

mm wah I just spent some time reading up on all these..

MmmM Alright let's share. When my dad saw the wood Uncle was using, he took pictures of it and showed it to his friend who sells those HUGE wooden planks to factories... the friend's factory is one of those at Defu Lane that sort...

He says it's still solid plywood... Mine is similiar to the one Smallboy showed. Just a lower grade in comparison to others. He said that solid plywood also comes in many different grades and countries of origin. Ours is of a medium grade. Not good nor bad. But ok. The Uncle did suggest to my dad that if the surface and edges are sandpapered and smoothen properly it'll help with adhering to the laminate though. :)

round 2 of carpentry rectifications. i told uncle on second day aft this is up that is wrong. the console is to be flush along my wall, now the black parts protrude out. -_- i nagged uncle and jason. but today the carpenter just finished up the works on it. it is a mistake and i dont want to live with it.

compare the drawing that i got from jason

tvconsolewall.jpg

this is what i got in real life

_MG_2624rs.jpg

i'll take a pic of the protrusion after dinner. gotta harass uncle now.

the back portion that is recessed into my room.

_MG_2617rs.jpg

i told uncle before its up that i was thinking of doing a small storage space where the wall sticks out and he said can be done. but the carpenter went ahead to extend it all the way to the top, effectively causing me to waste the space up there! uncle's explanation was that the wood board is 8ft. i was thinking, saw it then!

this is what happens when you dont nag them. dont just nag, get action from them!

more on the wood issue when i get back.

Edited by aubrey

round 2 of carpentry rectifications. i told uncle on second day aft this is up that is wrong. the console is to be flush along my wall, now the black parts protrude out. -_- i nagged uncle and jason. but today the carpenter just finished up the works on it. it is a mistake and i dont want to live with it.

compare the drawing that i got from jason

tvconsolewall.jpg

this is what i got in real life

_MG_2624rs.jpg

i'll take a pic of the protrusion after dinner. gotta harass uncle now.

the back portion that is recessed into my room.

_MG_2617rs.jpg

i told uncle before its up that i was thinking of doing a small storage space where the wall sticks out and he said can be done. but the carpenter went ahead to extend it all the way to the top, effectively causing me to waste the space up there! uncle's explanation was that the wood board is 8ft. i was thinking, saw it then!

this is what happens when you dont nag them. dont just nag, get action from them!

more on the wood issue when i get back.

hi aubrey, how is the outcome...are they gonna rectify the mistake they created?

Edited by Shogen79

before i read, the picture I see is good :) u always keep us in suspense...finish telling us th story before running away leh...

Oh yes, btw, can i pop by on saturday instead of sunday?

before i read, the picture I see is good :) u always keep us in suspense...finish telling us th story before running away leh...

Oh yes, btw, can i pop by on saturday instead of sunday?

me wonder if i can pop by as well...as will be at bugis area as well...if it possible..:)

me wonder if i can pop by as well...as will be at bugis area as well...if it possible..:)

hehe...i am going to sim lim square to pick up my gal's DS :P so thought can pop by! Maybe we will meet there ;)

dont worry! pop by ASAP before we shift things back cos it will be messy. it is ok, but not what i want. i have this huge feeling that uncle will say cannot change. when i discuss with him i told him flush, told jason to flush it, even the carpenter was there. all just dont LISTEN to me. grr.

UPDATE! (Almost forgot)

previously the guys used this brand of hinges called mobile for me with the blum damper (is that correct name?) for all my swing out shelves. after i checked with jason as i recalled they use irex for all. i didnt nag him to change it but today the carpenters changed it all for me! so all irex, took the blum and mobile back. weird..

also, with regards to the wood used and if there's differences to all his customers, jason said they passed ah bee/ah mei some projects. now that there's such feedback, they will QC materials used too. i believe ah mei is just out to cut cost. -_- check more if ah mei is your carpenter.

today didnt meet uncle even though he said he will come in the afternoon. getting used to this so i dont care. :P at least they changed the wood used for the wooden top where my sink is. i was kinda expecting them to change the whole thing, carcass and all, but ya, keep dreaming aubrey. :P

Edited by aubrey

dont worry! pop by ASAP before we shift things back cos it will be messy. it is ok, but not what i want. i have this huge feeling that uncle will say cannot change. when i discuss with him i told him flush, told jason to flush it, even the carpenter was there. all just dont LISTEN to me. grr.

:o ....dun be mad...cool down......what time can we go ley?maybe we all meet ard same timing...dun wish to take up too mmuch of yr time as well:)