Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aubrey

Retrospectrum Meets Modernisation!

booy, got 3 pics!! :D its so messy leh.. actually ya i wanna start a thread called lived in pictures of newly renovated houses. mess is certain, how messy it is will be something else. cos from there we can see how various ppl organize their houses. so interesting!

ivy, u havent started packing huh? nvm la.. take more pics of toilet. i wonder how it looks now. :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
booy, got 3 pics!! :D its so messy leh.. actually ya i wanna start a thread called lived in pictures of newly renovated houses. mess is certain, how messy it is will be something else. cos from there we can see how various ppl organize their houses. so interesting!

ivy, u havent started packing huh? nvm la.. take more pics of toilet. i wonder how it looks now. :D

the new thread quite idea hor! hahahha

started packing le... y'day manage to clear the mess in my dinning room that is meant for the kitchen. ah wei's guy just finish last bit of touching up yesterday so last night i pack the kitchen till 1am and i veli happy leh!!! after i put in all my things hor i still got quite alot fo space in the kitchen cabinets!!! yahoooooooooo!!

i will try to clear up all the boxes soon and take the live in pics without the boxes. it's coming, soon soon

ok.. I correct myself.. Only console pics... This thread will be very interesting.. hee.. :)

Hi everyone.. Sorry for the late reply. This is wat im going to do for my 3 room tiny unit:

1. hacking two toilet, kitchen wall & floor tiles plus living hall & clear debris
  2. supply and lay two toilet wall tiles
  3. supply and lay two toilet floor tiles
  4. supply and lay kitchen wall tiles
  5. supply and lay kitchen floor tiles
  6. supply and lay tiles in living hall & laminate in 2 bedrooms
  7. change stainless pipe for whole unit
  8. painting whole unit
  9. plastering whole unit
  10. install one toilet bowl
  11. install one wash basin
  12. supply and install bi-fold door in 2 toilets
  13. supply and install 2 toilets louver
  14. supply and construct washing machine, fridge and cabinet base
  15. supply and install tempered glass at kitchen entrance( 2glass sliding door)
  16. supply and install solid surface and suspended cabinet with mirror outside toilet
  17. supply and install kitchen cabinet
  18. supply and lay solid surface above kitchen cabinet
  19. supply and install L box in living hall
  20. Built-in TV console in living room

He quoted me $21K for now. But, I wanna request to have granite worktop in the kitchen, and for now, I dunno if he will give me some freebies along the way. Haix..

How much did he quote u at first and eventually? I dunno if there will be a big difference anots. I wanna keep my budget low also. Sad.. Very tight budget..

matchgirl, is there a break down figure of the $21K and whether any specific dimension was given? e.g kitchen cabinet how many feet? tv console how many feet? does tv console comes with feature wall etc.

Hi All! Here's my long long awaited tblog!

First things first, floor plan below:

3349572718_280e0a2139_b.jpg

The layout I have come up with on my own

dreamhome.jpg

Background info

As you can see, not much room to play with in terms of layout. still fretting over where to place the tv and set up living room area. note that my mom is a buddhist, she has an altar that takes up the entire wall space that is next to the doorway leading to kitchen and another ancestral altar at the left side of the wall (squarish form) against the wall of the kitchen doorway. these elements are giving me a headache over where to place them.

And so... my tblog title is apt. mom aka retro v.s me aka modern minimalist/simplistic/zen fan. let the showdown begin!!

We're intending to still stay in the house while doing reno, no choice as no other place to stay. Even so, furniture will have to be stored elsewhere and all in all will mean $$ which would add on to total expenditure for reno. :furious:

Mom is the hoarder, I am the "thrower". due to that, we have quite a bit of friction when it comes to clearing clutter and getting ready for reno. I suppose we are the ID/Contractors' worst nightmare. :notti:

Our Work Scope

Hack all floors + wall in Kitchen/Bath/WC

Supply & lay full homogenous floor tiles for house + wall tiles in Kitchen/Bath/WC

Supply & install 2 sets of Naco Windows for Bath/WC

Supply & install 2 sets of PD doors for Bath/WC

Supply & install 1 tempered glass door at kitchen entrance - if budget allows

Supply & install 1 collapsible dining table in kitchen

Supply & install top & bottom kitchen cabinet with cabinet/fridge/WM tiled base

Supply & install granite worktop

Supply & install 2 set wardrobe in both bedrooms

Supply & install 2 set louvered windows in living room and bedroom & 1 casement window in "MBR"

Reno Progression Updated @ 14 April

List of those who are out:

1. Rizzente Reno - over budget
  2. Ban Hong Aluminium & Construction - did not get back to me
  3. Hawaii Furniture & Renovation - did not make an impression on me
  4. Mr Yeak - Miscomm problem
  5. Red Dot Interior - Did not call them :P
  6. Innowood Concept - too ex, way too ex. after seeing the quote i told him i can't afford him

:P List of hopefuls:

1. DeFong Interior - been to see some projects done, workmanship looks promising. :) awaiting fine-tuning of the quote and floor plan layout n simple sketches.
  2. SoHo Arc Interior - true to their claim, they are strong in design. currently going over their quote. impressed with their work structure. (yes i like structured workflow!)
  3. Ah Soon - The most competitive quote is here!! 'nuff said. :sport-smiley-004:
  4. Ideal Design - the ID was a joy to work with. simply told him my budget and even tho he has exceeded it, he did not add on to the amount grossly. its a fair amount and the ID is really great to work with. thumbs up!

Will add on as and when I think of more and please feel free to comment so that I can have various ideas of what to do. still a greenhorn with this. Thanks to all in advance!

:yamseng:

Hi aubrey,

Thanks for sharing in your T blog here ; )

Jus wish to check with you..

1) PD doors for Bath/WC, is it for the entrance or to use it to seperate the Bath & WC?

Where to get from ? How much is the quote for this?

Is it easy to clean and maintain?

2) tempered glass door at kitchen entrance

3)collapsible dining table in kitchen. Our kitchen is very small, may need one for kitchen workplace.

Is this custom made?

or where you manage to get it from?

How much is the quote for this?

4)granite worktop

Will there be this joints instead of one full peice for the whole kitchen top?

My kitchen will be in heavy usuage as my parents love to cook, and they cook everyday.

Tot of getting the most practical and economy type and ease of cleaning plus maintaining.

Love to hear from you soon ; )

Hi aubrey,

1) PD doors for Bath/WC, is it for the entrance or to use it to seperate the Bath & WC?

3)collapsible dining table in kitchen. Our kitchen is very small, may need one for kitchen workplace.

Is this custom made?

4)granite worktop

My kitchen will be in heavy usuage as my parents love to cook, and they cook everyday.

Tot of getting the most practical and economy type and ease of cleaning plus maintaining.

By the way, possible to share your pictures of the above ?

Here's my email : trufaole@gmail.com

Thanks!

Hi aubrey,

Is this custom made?

4)granite worktop

hi! havent been logging in here for quite some time. here's my answers:

1) it is for the entrance. my toilet is the older type, so there is a wall to separate it. PD door so far so good, just that the one for my toilet is a little defective. I cant lock it properly for the top. will have to call uncle to help me out with that. its all quoted by uncle, i have to go home to check. but its not too ex.

2) i think its approx.. $750 or $800? all my items are quoted by uncle, so I have to check with him. u have to take note of your own family habits to be able to answer if its easy to clean and maintain. currently there are only 2 people in my house; mother and I. we cook rather "healthy" dishes that is not too oily so it doesnt really mess up the kitchen and the glass door is still pretty clean after 1 month. my advice is to perhaps wipe it every 2 wks or even a month. but if u cook a lot, have a lot of people in the house, u may need to put in more effort to maintain.

3) i scrapped the idea of collapsible table. i came up with something else with the help of my friend. its a longish table with cushioned seats that can be "kept" under the table. something like those tables u find in school canteens. i will take a pic to show u what i mean.

4) yes there are joints. granite table tops have a fixed length and needs to be joined. especially mine as my kitchen counter is L-shaped. u can ask for a thicker profile cos mine is really thin. but of cos that was when i didnt know any better. but so far so good, thin as it may be, its serving us well. maybe cos we are pretty gentle and do simple cooking. 2 people, dont need to whip up a feast. :)

sorry to only reply now, i hope you get to read this and its of use to you!

hi! havent been logging in here for quite some time. here's my answers:

1) it is for the entrance. my toilet is the older type, so there is a wall to separate it. PD door so far so good, just that the one for my toilet is a little defective. I cant lock it properly for the top. will have to call uncle to help me out with that. its all quoted by uncle, i have to go home to check. but its not too ex.

2) i think its approx.. $750 or $800? all my items are quoted by uncle, so I have to check with him. u have to take note of your own family habits to be able to answer if its easy to clean and maintain. currently there are only 2 people in my house; mother and I. we cook rather "healthy" dishes that is not too oily so it doesnt really mess up the kitchen and the glass door is still pretty clean after 1 month. my advice is to perhaps wipe it every 2 wks or even a month. but if u cook a lot, have a lot of people in the house, u may need to put in more effort to maintain.

3) i scrapped the idea of collapsible table. i came up with something else with the help of my friend. its a longish table with cushioned seats that can be "kept" under the table. something like those tables u find in school canteens. i will take a pic to show u what i mean.

4) yes there are joints. granite table tops have a fixed length and needs to be joined. especially mine as my kitchen counter is L-shaped. u can ask for a thicker profile cos mine is really thin. but of cos that was when i didnt know any better. but so far so good, thin as it may be, its serving us well. maybe cos we are pretty gentle and do simple cooking. 2 people, dont need to whip up a feast. :)

sorry to only reply now, i hope you get to read this and its of use to you!

wah MIA so long ....

So any pic to update ?