Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
airways07

Ikea Products ...

Hi ppl,

Can u share with me on the items that u regret buying due to RUST or watsoever. Ikea declare it non-rusty stainless steel but l have read frm forummer that it do turn rusty and their woods are solid but then again it did slant within months -

so have your say here so we all can gain knowledge.

l had survey the market n yes ikea are cheaper for buying ur toiletries n kitchen stuffs out from those retail shop but is it worth it???

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Facts & photos don't lie.

Declare whatever they like, SOME* of their stainless steel items DO/DID tarnish and/or rust. There are enough customers who can testify to that, and unwitting new victims all over the world buying them everyday can refresh that claim.

(* I didn't buy enough Ikea SS items to specifically list which ones will rust, but at least some of those I had did rust, I returned them, but not before taking photos and warning others.)

My List

~SEMVIK toilet accessories set. (RUST horribly)

ikea1.jpg

Even the label got stained by the rust, so much for their declaration.

ikea5.jpg

~ANNONS 5 piece cookware (TARNISH after 1 use, got worse on the 2nd)

ikeapot1.jpg

I should go take the latest photo of my 4mths old $29.90 WMF cooking pot, still looks like new.

As for their solid (?) particleboard furniture. I had a $299 wardrobe which slanted and fell apart, I had book shelves which warp. I don't have photos for them now, but there are still other victim out there with a tale to tell. Perhaps certain range (same material but thicker) do last longer? like their MALM series? I have had them for a while, no issues with them so far, the material is at least 2cm thick. If you noticed, BILLY bookcase, the shelves are like 1cm (?) thick.

Do they also want to address this relatively unknown issue of formaldehyde emission decay from particleboard furniture? Google for "particleboard formaldehyde" and see what you get. Random result here Of course, for the company, they can stick to the convenient finding that the outgassing will last for a year, but as consumers, we can't neglect data which says it could well be 5 to 10 years.

There are other issues with items such as curtain railings, blinds, etc.

When I'm more free with photos, I will update accordingly. :P

IKEA - cheap but not worth the price.

Edited by lawry

Solid wood??? How much you pay for it? Anything under $200 give you nothing but compressed wood. Then again, it is cheap for a book shelf at $28, 7ft(H) by 2.5ft(w), where can u find that kind of pricing. I bought 2 book selfs. Slanted after 3 months, so got to remove some books to reduce weight.

Stainless steel??? Not totally pure. Sure have rust after months of using.

Know what you are paying and u will feel much better. :P

I paid $200 for a stainless steel kitchen worktop. Rusted after 3 months.

My 2 sets of Billy bookcases are still holding up well after 5 years of use, stuffed with paperbacks. But the laminates on a couple of bedside tables ($60/piece) started peeling off after less than a year. The surface of my laptop table Dave bubbled and stained with the moisture less than 15 min after I placed a glass of cold water on it without a mat.

no steel kitchen or bathroom accessories.. they all rust. those are my only regrets..

i have lamps, carpets which are fine.

i am typing on the vika table tops and legs now which are still in great shape.

The Lack series is holding up my volka collection.. ahha...

so not all is bad.. just the metal, steel stuff... avoid at all cost.. give me free i also wont want..!

no steel kitchen or bathroom accessories.. they all rust. those are my only regrets..

i have lamps, carpets which are fine.

i am typing on the vika table tops and legs now which are still in great shape.

The Lack series is holding up my volka collection.. ahha...

so not all is bad.. just the metal, steel stuff... avoid at all cost.. give me free i also wont want..!

Agreed with yapyap. I've some Ikea furniture that I've been using for 12 years and still works and looks good. The key is know the quality of material you are buying, and don't overload or stress them too much.

Wow lawry, scary man .... Thanks u for posting!

Well, have to admit that some of ikea furnishing not bad, cheap n some do last l guess, only need to know what kind l think. l wanted to buy this ikea.jpg

but am so afraid that it wont last long or drop cause l wanted to display plate and teapot :dunno:

And thats why l need to know what kind of wood material will last long. If there's any advice-that would be great!

And maybe we will pass on the steel stuffs base on the review here. Apart from that-other stuffs are consider cheap & good :good:

Facts & photos don't lie.

Declare whatever they like, SOME* of their stainless steel items DO/DID tarnish and/or rust. There are enough customers who can testify to that, and unwitting new victims all over the world buying them everyday can refresh that claim.

(* I didn't buy enough Ikea SS items to specifically list which ones will rust, but at least some of those I had did rust, I returned them, but not before taking photos and warning others.)

My List

~SEMVIK toilet accessories set. (RUST horribly)

ikea1.jpg

Even the label got stained by the rust, so much for their declaration.

ikea5.jpg

~ANNONS 5 piece cookware (TARNISH after 1 use, got worse on the 2nd)

ikeapot1.jpg

I should go take the latest photo of my 4mths old $29.90 WMF cooking pot, still looks like new.

As for their solid (?) particleboard furniture. I had a $299 wardrobe which slanted and fell apart, I had book shelves which warp. I don't have photos for them now, but there are still other victim out there with a tale to tell. Perhaps certain range (same material but thicker) do last longer? like their MALM series? I have had them for a while, no issues with them so far, the material is at least 2cm thick. If you noticed, BILLY bookcase, the shelves are like 1cm (?) thick.

Do they also want to address this relatively unknown issue of formaldehyde emission decay from particleboard furniture? Google for "particleboard formaldehyde" and see what you get. Random result here Of course, for the company, they can stick to the convenient finding that the outgassing will last for a year, but as consumers, we can't neglect data which says it could well be 5 to 10 years.

There are other issues with items such as curtain railings, blinds, etc.

When I'm more free with photos, I will update accordingly. :P

IKEA - cheap but not worth the price.

how much is this cabinet you are looking at?

i know ikea's solid wood range is pretty expensive

for the same price, you can get teak furniture from wihardja or even scanteak :yamseng:

Well, the one that l post here-it cost $5++ (this is my 2nd option) The one that really caught my eyes cost me $8++

l need to find much in4 for its product/wood. Have yet to go to other furniture shop but thanks for the recomendation.

Beside this two shop-any other furniture shop l could go? How abt the Hdb shop around the neighbourhood-good??

how much is this cabinet you are looking at?

i know ikea's solid wood range is pretty expensive

for the same price, you can get teak furniture from wihardja or even scanteak :yamseng:

I was wondering did anyone use Ikea Plates with complaint before?? I am looking at their normal plain white plate which is microwaveable. Hope someone reply me on this, Thanks. :)

Well, the one that l post here-it cost $5++ (this is my 2nd option) The one that really caught my eyes cost me $8++

l need to find much in4 for its product/wood. Have yet to go to other furniture shop but thanks for the recomendation.

Beside this two shop-any other furniture shop l could go? How abt the Hdb shop around the neighbourhood-good??

think for solid wood not much choice

you can check out the newspapers for those shops selling teak furniture

pine i think barang barang might have some too :yamseng:

I was wondering did anyone use Ikea Plates with complaint before?? I am looking at their normal plain white plate which is microwaveable. Hope someone reply me on this, Thanks. :)

I have that.... but mine is beige colours.. (off white)..... was very cheap... bought 12 years ago.....still using that...... no complaints about that. Can put in microwave to heat up food.......... :) :) :)

I have that.... but mine is beige colours.. (off white)..... was very cheap... bought 12 years ago.....still using that...... no complaints about that. Can put in microwave to heat up food.......... :) :) :)

Oh... like that will consider. But if put curry after will stain the bowl or plate or not ah (Stain meaning yellowish) ;)

I bought utensils from Ikea, and after a few months in the utensils holder, some of the handles of the spoons and fork rusted...dun dare to use cos its food related... but the wooden cheap planks in the store room are still holding up my things after 4 years.... I guess certain things we use everyday needs more quality while those that you will chuck to a side can compromise a little but must take note of the maximum load that Ikea will indicate.