Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Metalsubzero

Looking Forward To Our First Home...

Hullo everyone!!

Been reading so many contributions by you guys for more than a month now, I think it's time I created my own T-Blog here..

Had wanted to create this blog a week or so back, but the forum was down.. Was so worried it's gonna be down for much longer, not becuz I wouldn't be able to post my T-blog, but becuz this is the best place to get so much info on reno with the many contributions from the members here.. Now can finally heave a sigh of relief.. :)

Ok, enough of my bullsh*tting, gotta talk more bout my house and my house-hunting.. I think most people want new houses, I'd like new houses, but simply couldnt afford to wait, what with another new member in my family, my daughter whom is 3 months old now.. Already have a son who will be 2 in 3 days time.. So wifey and I decided to try our luck into the resale market.. My story of house-hunting is a brief one, had initially wanted to get a place in Tampines/Simei area, but was put off by the high cash amount, especially so for the units I was after which is near the MRT.. That was around October last year.. Visited probably less than 20 units before wifey went into labour in end December. Then my mother in law, whom will be staying with us after we move in(currently staying in my parents' home) suggested Sengkang firstly becuz of the price, and moreover it's quite accessible too, especially now the KPE's up, getting to the City is much more faster now..

Anyways, I paid $345k + 5k COV for the unit at Compassvale Walk (which I think I overpaid but don't wanna admit it.. Hahaha.. Ppl tell me tampines also around that price wat!) It's a 13th floor corridor unit.. I think though, the most important thing is we like the unit.. The place isn't very much done up in terms of reno, but nonetheless the condition is very nice, clean and cosy.. It's actually the 4th unit we viewed and the last one we viewed in SK on our first day of househunting after te birth of my daughter..

Anyways, Wifey liked it so much she immediately arranged for 2nd viewing for my MIL to view at night.. Wifey tells me it's the home feeling, the feeling that you want this to be your home, and I pretty much agreed with her.. Moreover, the seller is a super duper nice guy.. The only thing "bad" about him is he rejected our offer price for lower cov twice.. Hahaha.. Other than that, his family is the sort of family people will want as neighbours.. Very friendly.. :good:

Anyways, the unit is close to 10 yrs and is one of the first batches of flats in SK, which also means it's larger than most of the newer flats at 101sqm.. Most sk units we viewed were in the 90sqm region.. Kk, don't talk **** liao, here's a floor plan to start things first..

floorplanz.jpg

First appointment was on the 25th of March, 2nd appointment is on the 8th of May.. Got probably a month or so to settle so many things, since we wanna move in asap, preferably by around mid june.. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a smooth journey..

Anyways, I'm gonna announce that I'm another person to jump into the "I Support Ah Soon" bandwagon.. Hahhaa.. Gonna talk more about my Contractor/ID hunting and other stuffs in my coming posts.. Cheers.. :D

Edited by Metalsubzero

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hullo everyone!!

Been reading so many contributions by you guys for more than a month now, I think it's time I created my own T-Blog here..

Had wanted to create this blog a week or so back, but the forum was down.. Was so worried it's gonna be down for much longer, not becuz I wouldn't be able to post my T-blog, but becuz this is the best place to get so much info on reno with the many contributions from the members here.. Now can finally heave a sigh of relief.. :)

Ok, enough of my bullsh*tting, gotta talk more bout my house and my house-hunting.. I think most people want new houses, I'd like new houses, but simply couldnt afford to wait, what with another new member in my family, my daughter whom is 3 months old now.. Already have a son who will be 2 in 3 days time.. So wifey and I decided to try our luck into the resale market.. My story of house-hunting is a brief one, had initially wanted to get a place in Tampines/Simei area, but was put off by the high cash amount, especially so for the units I was after which is near the MRT.. That was around October last year.. Visited probably less than 20 units before wifey went into labour in end December. Then my mother in law, whom will be staying with us after we move in(currently staying in my parents' home) suggested Sengkang firstly becuz of the price, and moreover it's quite accessible too, especially now the KPE's up, getting to the City is much more faster now..

Anyways, I paid $345k + 5k COV for the unit at Compassvale Walk (which I think I overpaid but don't wanna admit it.. Hahaha.. Ppl tell me tampines also around that price wat!) It's a 13th floor corridor unit.. I think though, the most important thing is we like the unit.. The place isn't very much done up in terms of reno, but nonetheless the condition is very nice, clean and cosy.. It's actually the 4th unit we viewed and the last one we viewed in SK on our first day of househunting after te birth of my daughter.. Anyways, the blk is an 8 min walk to Compass Point, 7 mins to rivervale mall and 10 mins to Rivervale Plaza (Yes, I drove there and walked.. HAHAHA) :dancingqueen: And another selling point is there's a 7-Eleven in the 1st level of the blk! Hahaha.. Nice..

Anyways, Wifey liked it so much she immediately arranged for 2nd viewing for my MIL to view at night.. Wifey tells me it's the home feeling, the feeling that you want this to be your home, and I pretty much agreed with her.. Moreover, the seller is a super duper nice guy.. The only thing "bad" about him is he rejected our offer price for lower cov twice.. Hahaha.. Other than that, his family is the sort of family people will want as neighbours.. Very friendly.. :good:

Anyways, the unit is close to 10 yrs and is one of the first batches of flats in SK, which also means it's larger than most of the newer flats at 101sqm.. Most sk units we viewed were in the 90sqm region.. Kk, don't talk **** liao, here's a floor plan to start things first..

floorplanz.jpg

First appointment was on the 25th of March, 2nd appointment is on the 8th of May.. Got probably a month or so to settle so many things, since we wanna move in asap, preferably by around mid june.. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a smooth journey..

Anyways, I'm gonna announce that I'm another person to jump into the "I Support Ah Soon" bandwagon.. Hahhaa.. Gonna talk more about my Contractor/ID hunting and other stuffs in my coming posts.. Cheers.. :D

Congtratulations on your new buy... :yamseng: Do you plan to do anymore reno or keep it simple?

YAY Another Ah Soon supporter. haha

Anyway tampines for +5k COV will have totally different conditions and the age of the flat is different. So don't listen to other people. Most imptly.... you and your family is happy!! Look at me.. my home is a 5min walk from eastpoint and we paid 30k COV. whaha

very squarish house! And I'm always in love with houses with service balconies....

Simple reno so you have less stuff to hack if you want to change the things. yay!

Wah, Blog created at 4:43am! No need to sleep ah. Welcome! Anyway, congrats on ur new unit! In fact, I am also an ex-Sengkang resident (Anchorvale Blk 3xx). Just moved out in Dec 08. Dun't worry abt the $350K u have paid. It's abt the market rate. Care to share which block is there? If I am not wrong, urs should be Blk 2xx. U need any questions on SK amenities, can ask me?

Edited by tower

Congtratulations on your new buy... :yamseng: Do you plan to do anymore reno or keep it simple?

Yo, shkeat, I'm focusing mainly on the kitchen and the 2 toilets.. And I'd be keeping the ceramic floor tiles in the living and bedrooms.. Will add some posts on what I intend to do.. :D

YAY Another Ah Soon supporter. haha

Anyway tampines for +5k COV will have totally different conditions and the age of the flat is different. So don't listen to other people. Most imptly.... you and your family is happy!! Look at me.. my home is a 5min walk from eastpoint and we paid 30k COV. whaha

very squarish house! And I'm always in love with houses with service balconies....

Simple reno so you have less stuff to hack if you want to change the things. yay!

Hi pinkpetter! Hahaha.. Yeah.. I actually have a quote which was around the price he quoted, but chose him becuz I felt more comfortable with his ideas..

Probably bah.. Most ppl were saying at the start of the year that nobody's paying high cov anymore.. In fact, SK and Punggol area alot of ppl selling @ val or under val.. But like u said, me and my family happy is the most impt.. Wah, 30k COV.. :jawdrop:

Yeah, very squarish house, but I'm not gonna keep the wall between the service balcony n kitchen.. Hacking the wall away so that the kitchen will be bigger.. Else the existing kitchen is simply too small...

Edited by Metalsubzero

Hullo everyone!!

Anyways, I paid $345k + 5k COV for the unit at Compassvale Walk (which I think I overpaid but don't wanna admit it.. Hahaha.. Ppl tell me tampines also around that price wat!) It's a 13th floor corridor unit.. I think though, the most important thing is we like the unit.. The place isn't very much done up in terms of reno, but nonetheless the condition is very nice, clean and cosy.. It's actually the 4th unit we viewed and the last one we viewed in SK on our first day of househunting after te birth of my daughter.. Anyways, the blk is an 8 min walk to Compass Point, 7 mins to rivervale mall and 10 mins to Rivervale Plaza (Yes, I drove there and walked.. HAHAHA) :dancingqueen: And another selling point is there's a 7-Eleven in the 1st level of the blk! Hahaha.. Nice..

floorplanz.jpg

congrats and welcome to the forum.

we are getting our keys around the same time.

don't worry about the house costs. not that high i think for the size. the main thing is you feel good when walking into the house and the price is not tat exorbitant.

u are moving in mid june? should be possible cos you not doing a major overhaul. me dunno can complete in mid june or not. dun wan to rush. end june is the "run4 May" in Chinese calendar month and my parents said not good for moving house. So if my reno cannot be completed, have to wait until end July.

Hi pinkpetter! Hahaha.. Yeah.. I actually have a quote which was around the price he quoted, but chose him becuz I felt more comfortable with his ideas..

Probably bah.. Most ppl were saying at the start of the year that nobody's paying high cov anymore.. In fact, SK and Punggol area alot of ppl selling @ val or under val.. But like u said, me and my family happy is the most impt.. Wah, 30k COV.. :jawdrop:

Yeah, very squarish house, but I'm not gonna keep the wall between the service balcony n kitchen.. Hacking the wall away so that the kitchen will be bigger.. Else the existing kitchen is simply too small...

ya. and he comes across as more chin chai. I had a quote about 2k more than him also. but my parents insisted on choosing Ah Soon cos they feel that he will not be stingy with things and they were right. :)

:) combine the service and the kitchen wor... *sad* lol but it's up to everyone's needs la. haha my mom and I are praying for some kind of upgrade and we will get a service balcony of some sort. :P

Thanks guy77.. Where are you moving to? *Edit* Oh, Boon Keng, nice place!

Yeah yeah, the feel good factor is enough to overwrite any negative feelings of overpaying.. But since most of you said I'm not overpaying too, so not a issue at all.. :D

Yah, 8th May 2nd appointment, want the reno to start asap.. Ah Soon says he needs 4 weeks, but maybe 3 weeks can finish liao.. Hahaha.. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be before 14th June.. I put around 4 weeks for reno and 1 week for coordinating deliveries, touching up and move things in blah blah blah..

Good luck to u on ur reno too!

Edited by Metalsubzero

ya. and he comes across as more chin chai. I had a quote about 2k more than him also. but my parents insisted on choosing Ah Soon cos they feel that he will not be stingy with things and they were right. :)

:) combine the service and the kitchen wor... *sad* lol but it's up to everyone's needs la. haha my mom and I are praying for some kind of upgrade and we will get a service balcony of some sort. :P

Yah, chin chai.. Hahaha.. He keep telling me, my price is very cheap, but don't be scared.. Then he came up with a list for me ask me go see his workmanship.. Heng got one unit at Eunos, where I'm living now, probably wanna go see next week.. Dunno completed or not sia.. :dunno:

Yah lor, bo pian la.. I want a longer cabinet so can stuff everything inside, and hacking the wall away will make the place much more spacious.. Best of luck with your wishes.. My only wish is to tio toto.. LOL..

Here are the list of the things which we are planning to do...

Hack and relay floor tiles for kitchen, s/balcony with waterproofing.

Hack wall, door and window frame between s/balcony and kitchen.

Hack and relay wall tiles for kitchen and 2 toilets.

Hack existing kitchen cabinet

Top and bottom kitchen cabinet with laminated finishing and abs trimming door (L-Shaped). L shape to be just after existing wall between s/balcony and kitchen. Full height cabinet for area behind wall side to cover existing pipes. Stainless steel dish rack, 2 or more glass panel and cutlery tray.

Supply and install casement window at existing s/balcony, 2 sides

Kitchen door (Sliding tempered glass)

Slight shifting of common door to accomodate sliding door position

Hack and relay floor tiles for 2 bathrooms with waterproofing.

Install 2 WCs, 2 basins, 2 taps, 2 bidet sprays and toilet accessories etc shelves, mirror rack at both bathrooms.

Install 2 water heaters at both bathrooms.

Vanity cabinet with solid surface(wall to wall-approx 5 ft) for master bathroom.

Wall to wall mirror at master bathroom.

10mm tempered shower glass screen at master bathroom with shower kerb

Hack existing bifold door frames and reinstall door frames and aluminium bi fold doors. (x2)

Rewiring for kitchen and 2 bathrooms.. Changing of switches case, minor shifting for some points and probably a few new points

Changing of pipes for kitchen and all bathrooms with in/outlet connection for washing machine, sink and basin.

Painting for whole house, incl. ceiling, walls, door frames, store room door and pipes

Sliding wardrobe for master bedroom (6 ft)

False ceiling at dining and living area

TV console and feature wall **** area (6-7 ft)

False ceiling at master bedroom

simple cornices for 2 other bedrooms

1 x 4ft x 7ft wrought iron gate

3 x veneer doors for bedroom

Considering to install a shoe cabinet at dining area just beside the door under the windows..

Considering wall paper at dining area..

Yah, chin chai.. Hahaha.. He keep telling me, my price is very cheap, but don't be scared.. Then he came up with a list for me ask me go see his workmanship.. Heng got one unit at Eunos, where I'm living now, probably wanna go see next week.. Dunno completed or not sia.. :dunno:

Yah lor, bo pian la.. I want a longer cabinet so can stuff everything inside, and hacking the wall away will make the place much more spacious.. Best of luck with your wishes.. My only wish is to tio toto.. LOL..

Wah tio Toto is like on the top of my wishlist leh. not only you. :P

Lemme guess.. 17-18k for your house? mm the Eunos one is finishing leh. But I don't think they will move in this month. :)

Thanks rdnest.. :)

Yayaya, everybody's wish list sure got tio toto.. Hahaha

No leh, he quoted me $23k before discount.. He told me should be lower than $20k one, dunno why become $23k.. LOL.. You wanna help me take a look at the quote? Hahaha..

Edited by Metalsubzero