Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
2ndtime

Some Suggestions/comments On Kitchen Revamp

This is my 2nd time going through renovation after a decade so bit out of touch with the prices of materials and workmanship. This time is just the kitchen, because we couldn't take the rotting wood and mould any longer. At first decides on solid surface for the countertop then think why not build it up with cement like those kitchens in the older days, practical and dont hv to care about water splashing on your wood cabinets. But the price doesn't comes cheap even now during economic crunch. One of the ID told me even hdb doesn't allow for a cement block for more then 10ft in length! So...I have to settle for a cement support for only the sink area.

BTW my kitchen is L-shape.

Can anyone enlighten me whether the hdb rule is true and see if I'm overcharge or any other better suggestion on kitchen design?

1st quote

$1650 for 15ft kitchen cabinets(top+bottom)

$638 for 7.5ft solid surface

$800 for est 3ft concrete support.

$260 for 1set of casement doors below sink

2nd quote(didn't tell me about hdb regulation, full concrete support)

$1495 for 11.5ft (including tiling works)

$380 for 2 pairs of casement doors.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
This is my 2nd time going through renovation after a decade so bit out of touch with the prices of materials and workmanship. This time is just the kitchen, because we couldn't take the rotting wood and mould any longer. At first decides on solid surface for the countertop then think why not build it up with cement like those kitchens in the older days, practical and dont hv to care about water splashing on your wood cabinets. But the price doesn't comes cheap even now during economic crunch. One of the ID told me even hdb doesn't allow for a cement block for more then 10ft in length! So...I have to settle for a cement support for only the sink area.

BTW my kitchen is L-shape.

Can anyone enlighten me whether the hdb rule is true and see if I'm overcharge or any other better suggestion on kitchen design?

1st quote

$1650 for 15ft kitchen cabinets(top+bottom)

$638 for 7.5ft solid surface

$800 for est 3ft concrete support.

$260 for 1set of casement doors below sink

2nd quote(didn't tell me about hdb regulation, full concrete support)

$1495 for 11.5ft (including tiling works)

$380 for 2 pairs of casement doors.

This is how my kitchen design look like. Still under reno. Hope can give u some ideas on it.

p1000469.jpg

p1000470.jpg

p1000471a.jpg

p1000429o.jpg

p1000430x.jpg

Thanks rendell, I'm very impress with the Blum system, everytime I went to check on my reno, I'll play with the drawers and cabinets.. :lol:

This is how my kitchen design look like. Still under reno. Hope can give u some ideas on it.

p1000469.jpg

p1000470.jpg

p1000471a.jpg

p1000429o.jpg

p1000430x.jpg

Nice! I saw its Blum system, expensive isn't it? BTW what is your previous kictchen like or is this your new home?

Nice! I saw its Blum system, expensive isn't it? BTW what is your previous kictchen like or is this your new home?

This is my new home, to be completed and move in next week. My whole house drawers and cabinets are using Blum system... actually is not that expensive as my carpenter are able to get it cheaper.

This is my new home, to be completed and move in next week. My whole house drawers and cabinets are using Blum system... actually is not that expensive as my carpenter are able to get it cheaper.

Seek all your kind enlightenment. :bath:

Pardon my ignorance...

But what's this Blum system?

Is it some form of hydraulic hinge system?

Seek all your kind enlightenment. :bath:

Pardon my ignorance...

But what's this Blum system?

Is it some form of hydraulic hinge system?

Anti slam mechanism hinges.

Anti slam mechanism hinges.

Oh! I completely overlooked these features for consideration, when i sought for quotes.

Not too late still, just gotto make sure my ID or carpenter factor in such anti slam mechanisms.

Thanks. :)

Hi Jaskel,

If you dun mind, how much is the cost of your kitchen usingthe Blum system?

Hi Jaskel,

If you dun mind, how much is the cost of your kitchen usingthe Blum system?

Hi LittleDreamer, I'm doing whole house using Blum system so I do not know the break down for the kitchen. My contractor just passed me the invoice from the Blum and I paid for it. :D

Hi LittleDreamer, I'm doing whole house using Blum system so I do not know the break down for the kitchen. My contractor just passed me the invoice from the Blum and I paid for it. :D

Hi Jaskel,

Does the invoice shows the breakdown? If not, how cn I find out?

Can normal contractor knows the pricing if I ask?

I am currently intend to do up my kitchen and 2 toilets.

I was thinking of Blum system.

hey jaskel, how is the blum mechanism working for your dish rack? good? we're thinking if we should get it changed to tt... but ID told us it would cost $300+++ excluding labour.

worth it?

hey jaskel, how is the blum mechanism working for your dish rack? good? we're thinking if we should get it changed to tt... but ID told us it would cost $300+++ excluding labour.

worth it?

$300+++ excluding labour...need to check on my invoice liao...my whole hse cost $2.3K only...Blum system is really worth it.. :good: