Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raquel

Stainless Steel Backsplash

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

stainless steel backing for kitchen? I have.

backsplash is actually that little thing that turns up from your counter so it should be the same material as your worktop.. the thing on the wall is the backing. I learnt that from one of the IDs here. hehe

mm I'm quite happy with it. Very clean look for the kitchen. :) We haven't wiped it since we moved in which was 3 months ago. :) Easy.

is it very difficult to keep it shine and nice??? was told tat it can be a finger print magnet..

eh... but you'll rarely touch it.. it's not like staircase railing or what... won't always touch so... until now there aren't any fingerprints since the first cleaning 3 months ago..

so there are three types is it? so far heard of s/s, tiles and glass. heehee have an ah soon qns for u, what does he give as a usual for the backing? and what happens when u have a worktop that is granite? what happens to the backsplash??

so there are three types is it? so far heard of s/s, tiles and glass. heehee have an ah soon qns for u, what does he give as a usual for the backing? and what happens when u have a worktop that is granite? what happens to the backsplash??

stainless steel backing comes in matt and shiny. Mine is matt. My parents didn't want things too glaring. I have this backing because my walls are cemented and not tiled. So in reality you can choose not to have a backing at all.

So.. cement, tiled, mosaic, glass, matt stainless steel, shiny stainless steel.

What you want as a backing you have to negotiate with Ah Soon. He suggests S/S though as he said that oil can seep inbetween the glass and wall and you will be able to see the oil spots through the glass.

as for the granite backsplash I'm not sure. Can't rem if my old granite counter (in previous previous house) had it. :)

:P ok shall ask for his opinion. i better go check out the software that lawry used for his mockup to try to draw one for my mom.

so given what u said about glass i dont think there's anyway to clean it even if we want to?? hmmm... and i shall ask about the granite blacksplash too! :D

:P ok shall ask for his opinion. i better go check out the software that lawry used for his mockup to try to draw one for my mom.

so given what u said about glass i dont think there's anyway to clean it even if we want to?? hmmm... and i shall ask about the granite blacksplash too! :D

Ya there's no way to clean the oil stains under the glass... I think lawry used Google sketchup. I found it difficult so in the end I drew. haha :P

Ya there's no way to clean the oil stains under the glass... I think lawry used Google sketchup. I found it difficult so in the end I drew. haha :P

thanks for the advice. is it prone to scratches or dents if say, your pot handle knocks against the backing?

is stainless steel or glass better for the backing behind the cooker in the kitchen? could those who have installed either provide some advice? so far, i've heard:

stainless steel - prone to scratches and marks

glass - prone to dirt and oil seepage

how about cleaning and maintenance?

thanks!

Just sharing my experience - steel backing can also be stained. Look at mine:

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

For my new house, I am going with glass....

Just sharing my experience - steel backing can also be stained. Look at mine:

For my new house, I am going with glass....

thanks man, i think i'll stick to glass too :P

saw ur new pics of reno progress, hope it goes well and smooth.... will try to post some pics when reno starts next week (hopefully); let's see how our houses are transformed (we have the same house layout)

thanks man, i think i'll stick to glass too :P

saw ur new pics of reno progress, hope it goes well and smooth.... will try to post some pics when reno starts next week (hopefully); let's see how our houses are transformed (we have the same house layout)

Same layout? That's interesting. One of the IDs bought me to this house at Sin Ming that has the exact layout. We benefited a lot from that visit as we had a chance to look at how other people renovated their house, taking notes of all the beams, pipes and other limitations.

Remember to post your pictures when your reno start. BTW, Forkie also started his renovation about the same time as mine, but he is quite fast - I believe his tiling has already completed.

For my case, the tiler is quite slow - finishing only half the two toilet walls over 3 days - but his workmanship is good so I just let me take his time.