Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi

I m getting the keys to my 5rm resale unit (121sqm) end of this month and I have no idea on how to start on the renovation. I have gotten the floor plan for my unit.

What are the first steps in searching for a ID house for my unit? Where or are there websites can I view the themes or a mock up?

Most likely I will be hacking the existing laminated limber over homogenous tiles flooring.

With this in mind, typically how long will such renovation take?

Also, understand that $10K is required for hacking and laying of new tiles and another $10K est is required for carpentary. What are the other big price tag items in a renovation?

Another concern will be the renovation might be stretching over to the lunar 7th month that is starting in mid Aug.

Is it advisable not to continue renovation during lunar 7th month?

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Congrats ignition for your new house. Welcome here.

You could start browsing thru the t-blog here to gather more info.

You need to set a budget for your reno also.

As long as your door opening ceremony is not during this 7th month, things should be ok.

Edited by alan26

You must remember this.

DO NOT RUSH!

TAKE YOUR TIME.

SOUCE FOR MORE QUOTATION.

DRAFT OUT YOUR OWN SPREADSHEET AND COMPARE. (APPLE AGAINST APPLE)

SEE SHOW FLATS.

ASK ASK and ASK.

NEVER TAKE THINGS FOR GRANTED.

DONT EXPECT OR ASSUME YOUR ID/CONTRACTOR KNOWS WHAT YOU WANT.

Hi

I m getting the keys to my 5rm resale unit (121sqm) end of this month and I have no idea on how to start on the renovation. I have gotten the floor plan for my unit.

What are the first steps in searching for a ID house for my unit? Where or are there websites can I view the themes or a mock up?

Most likely I will be hacking the existing laminated limber over homogenous tiles flooring.

Also, understand that $10K is required for hacking and laying of new tiles and another $10K est is required for carpentary. What are the other big price tag items in a renovation?

Another concern will be the renovation might be stretching over to the lunar 7th month that is starting in mid Aug.

Thanks

Hi Ignition,

You must first look around at pictures of designs in websites, magazines, exhibitions etc to get an idea or feel of how you want your home to look like. After you have a rough idea in mind, then get quotes from a few reno companies, not too many though as you'll just get confused :), based on the designs you want. Alternatively, you can go to the reno companies and tell them your budget and let them design for you based on that.

I spent abt 50+k on my 4rm resale 100sqm. I hacked and redid everything in the house so all flooring, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, doors, windows are new. I started off by knowing roughly what design I want then look for a reasonable quote. Afterwhich, I liased with my ID to see what ideas can/cannot work. If you want more info, you can PM me :yamseng:

Hi lynglyng,

Your renovation is super expensive leh for a 4room resale. Your floor tiles and wall tiles all imported from europe ah. (faint)

hey, if u are looking for IDs, i can recommend a few to u that i have met with in the coures of my own reno. if u like i can pm u. :)

and yea, read more tblogs to get an idea or two and just find out by reading cos some quotes are posted there for u to have a look. just try to ask about materials used eg: wood for your door, hollow or solid? what kind of tiles they giving u, etc etc. hope it helps!

Hi

Thanks

10k for both laying of whole house tiles and hacking not enough one. the basic package i saw mostly around 23k all in with only 1 kitchen cabinet

keep in mind ele works also very ex if re wire whole house.

yesterday just when to see 1 showflat did up a few things only also coming 30k no choice buy resale most of the money is what we step on(tiles) hahaha

Hi Ignition

Welcome to the exciting stage of renovation - sourcing for ID!! my hse renov is gonna finish this coming sunday , i must say we are very satisfied with our ID - Ideal house, http://www.idealhouse.com.sg/, our lovenest is handled by Kenneth and there is only one word to describe our feeling throughout this period of renovation - WORRY FREE + SATISFACTION. And i guess that is the most impt element everyone look out for in renovation, cos the last thing you want to be worry about is whether ur ID can deliver what he promises. We went sourcing for 4 vendors before we decide on him, at that point we choose him becos my bro uses him in his renov 3 yrs back and same thing, full of praises abt his professionalism and customer oriented approach and of course his quote is the lowest with reasonable charges. And it proves to be true that he is indeed what my bro claims. Anyway i have much more praises to say abt him , let me know if you have any other queries, will be glad to share =)

God Bless

Wenz

Hi

Thanks

Hi lynglyng,

Your renovation is super expensive leh for a 4room resale. Your floor tiles and wall tiles all imported from europe ah. (faint)

no la, I did super alot of things. Hack here and there, homo floor tiles, laminate floor tiles, wall tiles for 2bathrooms and kitchen. Carpentry works like WIW, Kitchen Cabinet, Shoe cabinet, Feature wall/ TV console **** room & Master bedroom, Bedframe, Vanity, Dressing table, Study Table, Book cabinet. False ceilings **** & 3 Bedrooms. Rewire whole house, plumbing works. New windows and doors.

I'll post some pictures up in future. Now still in last week of reno.....

Hi there,

Renovation for my new apartment was recently completed, also a 5-rm resale at 121 sqm. You should probably be looking at typically a 6-8 week renovation period if it's pretty much a complete overhaul.

From my personal experience, approaching 4-5 IDs/contractors for quotes should suffice; too many and things may become unnecessarily laborious. Going thru' this forum would give you an idea of which ID/contractor you can shortlist, and which to avoid if you can help it. Might be good to have a budget range in mind (though if you want a look that is not too run-of-the-mill, one must be prepared to be a bit liberal here), and also a sense of the kind of look/theme you want to achieve. You might also want to be mindful to strike a balance between being solely taken in by an ID who can formulate the most beautiful designs on paper, and one whose designs may not be as strong, but gives you a greater sense of assurance in terms of seeing the project through. The perceived inferiority for the latter can be easily offset by you surfacing some reno. pics from magazines to "hand-hold"your ID a bit. Any ID worth his/her salt should then be able to fuse your preferences, with his/her own input, into the final design.

If you are not in a rush to move in, it is worth taking your time in the ID-sourcing process. Feel free to PM me if you require a referral since my ID, while not the cheapest, did an admirable job.

Regards.

Hi

Thanks

oh yah, take note of the payment mode and %. If you feel something not right, can always post first b4 you engage the company so that you can aware of a common practice so that you might want to request the company to change thet contract b4 you sign the dotted line.

oh yah didnt post what u asked, I hear toilet wll be another high cost if you going to change everything.

Edited by ahockz

Hi Ignition

Welcome to the exciting stage of renovation - sourcing for ID!! my hse renov is gonna finish this coming sunday , i must say we are very satisfied with our ID - Ideal house, http://www.idealhouse.com.sg/, our lovenest is handled by Kenneth and there is only one word to describe our feeling throughout this period of renovation - WORRY FREE + SATISFACTION. And i guess that is the most impt element everyone look out for in renovation, cos the last thing you want to be worry about is whether ur ID can deliver what he promises. We went sourcing for 4 vendors before we decide on him, at that point we choose him becos my bro uses him in his renov 3 yrs back and same thing, full of praises abt his professionalism and customer oriented approach and of course his quote is the lowest with reasonable charges. And it proves to be true that he is indeed what my bro claims. Anyway i have much more praises to say abt him , let me know if you have any other queries, will be glad to share =)

God Bless

Wenz

Wa.. u r promoting le.... Y nt show some pic to us!

Hi folks

Thanks for your suggestions and advices. I will be taking a look at the various Tblog, magazines, show flats for ideas and inspirations. Get an idea of what I want and perhaps that will be a better time to PM you folks for the ID contacts.

oohaahcantona10, agreed, I will probably try to approach 4-5 ID for quotations. Too much of quotations will be a headache to decide. Had such an experience in the selection of my bridal package

I was pondering over to keep the homogenous tiles for my kitchen but to remove some of the carpentry in the kitchen. Trying to save some cost if the kitchen flooring is of good condition. Any folks have such past experience? Will the homogenous tiles be damaged in such a scenario? Without visible damage, are the homogenous tiles lasting?

Btw, are there any upcoming home and decor exhibitions?

Hi folks

Thanks for your suggestions and advices. I will be taking a look at the various Tblog, magazines, show flats for ideas and inspirations. Get an idea of what I want and perhaps that will be a better time to PM you folks for the ID contacts.

oohaahcantona10, agreed, I will probably try to approach 4-5 ID for quotations. Too much of quotations will be a headache to decide. Had such an experience in the selection of my bridal package

I was pondering over to keep the homogenous tiles for my kitchen but to remove some of the carpentry in the kitchen. Trying to save some cost if the kitchen flooring is of good condition. Any folks have such past experience? Will the homogenous tiles be damaged in such a scenario? Without visible damage, are the homogenous tiles lasting?

Btw, are there any upcoming home and decor exhibitions?

Hi,

As i know when u dismantle yr existing kitchen cabinet it wont affected yr homogeneous tiles, unless u wan another kitchen concept that is different frm yr existing.

Hi Rosliluxe

hee.. will definately take fotos when my funitures are in =) nonetheless if u r eagerly trying to find out more abt their work, i can invite you to take a look at my hse.. i am staying at amk ave 3 .. email me at wendyysl@gmail.com if you are interested yeah..

oh by the way i am promoting IDeal house, Kenneth becos he has done a good job for my hse and i felt that the only thing that i can help him with is to share with others on his services. Ultimately, experiencing is believing, so if u need his contact email me at the above yeah. will be glad to share..

wenz

Wa.. u r promoting le.... Y nt show some pic to us!