Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

666 if it is a skinny uncle doing the tiling, i believe he is the master tiler for my house. u will not regret him as he takes a lot of pride in his work and he is most meticulous in all that he does. when he re-did my shower area tiles, he urged me to let him overlay the tiles near the big pipe so that it is nicer to look at. the other tiler could not even be bothered and told him if he wants to do it, do it himself, which he did. he left my place really late at 9pm or so when he came at 9.30am. only downside is he is getting old, eye sight may not be that good as before naturally, so do help him to help u by keeping an eye for the tiling work and point out anything that u find is not right so he can rectify ASAP. its easier for him and ultimately u that way.

i can understand the inconvenience but try to bear with it. this tiler is really good, and with ample time, i believe his work can last u a really really long time. :)

just to add, the other tiler with this skinny tiler gave me tons of problems. if u had him i think u will feel more sian than this. his work is not very good, so i had to get them to come in to rectify which is more troublesome. just try to bear with it ok? :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Another day with the same worker turn up for work in my inlaw place...6th out of 14th day.

As expected, progress is slow..how much can 1 worker do in a day...

I pity the uncle worker, so skinny already, nvr take lunch and have to ask him take a break.

haiz..sian.continue like dat, 2 months oso not enough.

ah.. 4th day.. normal ah... first 2 days hack.. 3rd day clear and bring up sand/cement... 4th day prepare... aiyoh how fast you want?

He promised my inlaw will finish reno in 14 working days...today is 5th out of 14 days..

Past few days, only 1 skinny uncle came & he been cementing the toilet again...he took out some tiles & place in kitchen..mayb 2moro start tiling the common toilet.

Kitchen , after it was hacked, nothing is done...masterbed room toilet, not done yet coz waiting for common toilet to be ready,laminate on dining,living room, window grilles no action.

I tink if at this rate, 1 month oso not enough...i grumble coz causing great inconvenience..imagining whole family 8 person sharing 1 toilet/bath room everyday. :(

Last time my own parents home do reno..got at least 2-3 workers working on my house everyday...

Anyway i called AH Soon 2 hours back, he promise to send additional worker up 2moro..

I promised to do this on every page so that other new readers will not be misled.

For newcomers, people who intend to renovate and people doing homework early.

1) All renovation has its hiccups. Simply because we are humans. Some people experience more hiccups, some less.

Same goes for Uncle's clients. Some of us had more problems than others. If you look carefully and actually note down, you'll notice that

it's not consistent. This could be due to a number of reasons... some of which involves Uncle, some not.

2) Do your homework. Not just which ID/contractor is good on the forum... but as you read, you should take note of little tricks and tips

that people do when they are having their reno... write them down so that you can also do them when it's your turn. Stuff like labelling tile

samples and leaving them in the house, drawing the actual electrical points on the walls of the house, marking crosses on stuff to be

hacked.... Small stuff.

These will come in useful not just in dealing with Uncle but with ANY ID or any contractor... especially when some of them try to

spoonfeed you with rubbish information. smile.gif

3) Get as many quotations as you can. I know it's tiring and it's troublesome and sometimes even humiliating... I've been through all that.

But get them. At least 8? 10? 15? I had about 20 I think. I can't really remember and I trashed them. Get enough to convince yourself

that you have seen enough to say that you like the person's mannerism, work style, reputation, workmanship for that PRICE.... so that

you will regret less later on.

I've come across some owners who insist on getting Uncle's contact and want to engage Uncle with just very few quotations in hand. I

advised them against this and really beg them to go get more.

4) There are plenty of contractors and IDs in Singapore with different range of services, different approach in dealing with people and different prices to offer.

The only reason why you keep seeing Uncle Soon's name around this forum is not because he's the ONLY contractor but simply because it just so happens that a number of forummers are currently having their houses done by him. Please go look through at least 3-4 of the following T-blogs - mrspiglet's, smallboy's, fondue's, familyof4's, ivy's, aubrey's, jesperbg's, ashes02's, Native02's, pinkpetter's, Metalsubzero's, gaku70's, growler's, guy77's, blue_diamond's, apples'...... if I missed out anyone.. SORRY LA... very difficult to remember leh.

5) Everyone has varying standards of carpentry. What you may find acceptable may not seem so to another person. Don't take someone's word for it. Go see it for yourself and decide if you think it's acceptable. By that, I don't mean viewing showrooms. I think showrooms are trash. They put together the best stuff with a big budget, which may not be what you will be given anyway. Go see someone's home. It's even better if you manage to get the owner while you're there so you can have a glimpse at whether the owner is happy with the contractor. smile.gif

6)Try your best not to announce that you need an ID/contractor or need a certain contractor's contact. You'll find your inbox flooded with PMs, some from legitimate IDs some from Fake owners. Read through T-blogs and PM the owners of the blogs for their ID/contractor's contact. It's a lot safer that way.

Edited by pinkpetter

ah.. 4th day.. normal ah... first 2 days hack.. 3rd day clear and bring up sand/cement... 4th day prepare... aiyoh how fast you want?

2day is 4th day of inlaw partial reno.work done so far.

-hacked kitchen tiles,common toilet tiles and floor,tear up kitchen surface.

I find progress very slow leh,like 2day 1 uncle showed up and for whole day he was cementing up the toilet walls. No other works done.

Isit normal?

Guest poetsdesign

Are there any good renovation company again?

Maybe with afordable price

whoa you checked out a flat in Simei? which which which? heh.

I think is Blk 155. Cannot be your house, right?

2day start renovation on my IL place, Ah Soon pasted the letter on HDB renovation tingey..i saw on the letter contractor ID is from upper paya lebar road, seems like HDB unit num..hmm..wierd.dun hav chance to ask him.

I thought his office is at Commonwealth Ave?

hi Thommy / marvin

may i ask, other than ah soon, which reno company are u considering?

frankly, i have reno done by ah soon 4 yrs back.. 4yrs back, he is already difficult to contact!

wonder if companines with radac n casetrust, does it mean it is better?

Hi,

For me, my shortlisted is: -

1) Mr Y

2) Inzen

3) Ideal Design

4) Home guide

Got about 20....and after 2 months, these are the shortlisted in terms of response and price that is impt to me. Workmanship have not seen for myself yet, but seems good reviews in this forum (except home guide that does not have much review. )

Regarding radac or case trust, I am not too sure, cos I cant really be bother. But I got one quote from *****, though its case trust, the price is exhorbitant. So that is not really a consideration to me.

I have reminded him as i manage to meet him at my place....so he will get back to u shortly...:)

I think for keying the english version...i maybe the 1 lor...wahahahaha...cos i did mine b4...so he say maybe need my help..:P

If he need, then i sure will help.:)

oh Haha

you are so kind to help ;)

oh icic.

I spoke to him, he say he have done up the chinese quotes liao, awaiting someone to key for him the english one...

if can ask him to call me also TIA :)

I have reminded him as i manage to meet him at my place....so he will get back to u shortly...:)

I think for keying the english version...i maybe the 1 lor...wahahahaha...cos i did mine b4...so he say maybe need my help..:P

If he need, then i sure will help.:)

tmr or day after.:)

oh icic.

I spoke to him, he say he have done up the chinese quotes liao, awaiting someone to key for him the english one...

if can ask him to call me also TIA :)